It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Recommendations for Mini Truggy / Buggy ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:15 am 

Hi Guys

I am looking for a mini 1/18th - 1/14th mini Brushless Truggy or Buggy for some off road Bashing.

I will be running mainly on hard packed sand but would like the car to be a good all rounder on most surfaces.

Cars i have considered so far are as follows
1/14th Losi Mini 8eight
http://www.losi.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=LOSB0224T2

1/16th E-Revo
http://traxxas.com/products/models/elec ... 07erevo116

1/18th RC18T2 / B2
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_inf ... duct-Feeds

1/16th Turnigy Buggy
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=17952

I am looking for something that is tough and will run on 2s Lipo
all of the above suite me i think

Can you guys recommend one over the other or give me pros and cons of each?
Or recommend something else?

I dont want to go any bigger than 1/14th and no smaller than 1/18th

Any feedback would be most welcome

Many thanks

Ben

Post subject: Re: Recommendations for Mini Truggy / Buggy ?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:35 pm 

Good luck trying to decide. If money was no object this would be my order for bashing...
E-Revo
Mini 8eight
RC18t2
Turnigy

Would move the Losi to the top if it was for racing.
The Turnigy would be fun to try just to see how well it held up.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:49 pm 

Well....... I have had 3 of those. LOL
never had the Turnigy and from what I understand the quality is pretty poor and will not save you any money in the long run.
The RC18 line is really a good "race" value if you have a strict 1/18 scale race class at you track. The brushless system and radio that come with them are really nice. The belt drive is quiet and very reliable. I ran mine on a track in bot 2s and 3s with all sock parts. I did upgrade to the factory team sway bars as well as front and rear ball diffs. In one season of racing i never so much as broke a part. being 1/18 scale though they are not too good outdoors. It small!
good up and down the street. Grass is not really an option though. gravel is OK but the chassis is low and will high center quite easily
The Traxxas 1/16 line up is going to be best suited for the basher (unless you have local 1/16 traxxas race scene) These cars/trucks are FAST (VXL models) and the upgrade parts are almost endless. The MERV does very well on the street. and the generous use of plastic parts helps it be quite durable (on 2S) It is also the only one that is WATERPROOF. so if thats important keep that in mind.
The Mini 8ight Is kind of the best of both worlds. though it is 1/14 scale it is slightly smaller than the Traxxas stuff. but still larger than the Associated RC18. I did a review of the 8ight on this site so go check that out. Even converted it to a truggy!. This is a Racer (again check you local class rules) 2s is fine out of the box. It was also more than durable enough to bash.

The best decision you can make is your own. Buy the one that you are most excited about and thats the one that will bring you the most joy. Unless you pick the Turnigy in that case good luck buddy!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:54 pm 

If you are looking for the best all out mini "BASHER" with no plans on racing get check out the 1/16 scale Traxxas Summit. Exo cage for better protection as well as a bit higher ground clearance for the rough stuff. any of the Traxxas 1/16 scale line up has full parts interchangeability you can make an Erevo into a Summit into a Rally into a Slash. Kind of a neat feature. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:47 pm 

I have the mini e-Revo and RC18T (with a castle brushless system) and they are both pretty awesome, but serve different purposes for me.

The Revo reminds me of my 1/8th scale buggies. Fast, tough, 4WD and with its big tires (compared with the 1/18th trucks like the RC18's) its much better for bashing. Its also bigger and heaver than the 1/18th stuff so its more stable when getting it up to ~50mph. It does just fine on a 1/10th scale off road track. Great racer too.

The RC18's is only a street machine for me. Its too small to really bash. Its fun on a purpose built track tho. Mine is crazy fast with a 3 cell lipo but uber unstable... part of the fun I guess.

I think the 1/14th 8ight would be great as a racer and probably a little less capable as a basher. I don't have this one, but I do have 2 of its bigger brothers. I have a nitro and electric 1/8th scale 8ight 2.0. Love those things.

As mentioned, I would also stay away from Turnigy. I don't have first hand experience with this car, but electronics are probably less than reliable and support is going to suck. If you slam t into a curb and break it its going to be more difficult, take longer and have more shipping costs to get the parts. Just looking at it it looks very.... um..... chintzy.

Citizen #187

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:34 am 

HI Guys

Thats exactly the information i was looking for!!

You guys rock!

I posted a similar thread on some other Dedicated car forums and havce not got any responses!
I love this forum such a great bunch of knowledgable people and none of teh BS of teh big sites!

OK
So the RC18T is probably out of teh question due to small size, at this stage i am not interested in racing as there are no "proper" clubs here in Doha so its going to be for Bashing only.

Yeah i kinda realised already that the Turnigy would be a waste of time. Buy Cheap Buy Twice is a motot i have always lived by but i was almost tempted!

If i had racing in mind then i think the Losi 8ight would be a great all rounder but as mentioned above i have no intention of racing. At the moment!

I originaly thought the the E-Revo would suite my needs well but was just a bit put of by the price. I dont really want to pay that much.
However i didnt realise that there was so much compatibility between all the Traxxas 1/16th line up. Thismakes it more interesting.
I found a nice review site that also rates it highly for bashing.
http://www.bigsquidrc.com/traxxas-116-e ... xl-review/

Now i hve to find a decent online supplier with some good prices for one!
Or maybe even a used one.

On a side note.
I would be interested in getting back to racing but i would need to be competitive. I used to race allot when i was younger so i realise what is involved.
My small claim to fame within the RC world is o used to race with a guy called Nick Marson.
Thisis the guy who invented the Nosram range of ESC for cars. (Nosram is Marson spelled backwards)
He was super nice guy and alwasy great help at the track. He sold his business to LRP i think in the end.
I loved racing so if i ever get back into it i would have to be competitive!

We are just about to leave Qatar and go back to the UK for a little while then over to teh states hopefully. So when we have fully settled i may think about racing, maybe.
BUt then again i have always wanted to build a Hotrod so where better to build one than in the states?

Lets see what happens.

Thanks for all the feedback on the Cars I will look for a 1/16th E-Revo at a good price.

Hey Mustang347 dont suppose you wanna sell your E-Revo?

Cheers

Ben

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:37 am 

Ben,
If cost is a factor keep in mind that the 1/16 Mini erevo and Summit are both offered in a brushed setup as well. for about $100 less than their VXL counterparts. Also I do not think the brushed version comes with a 2.4ghz radio.
If you buy the brushed mini Summit it comes with a 540 sized 1/10 scale can motor. so it would be very easy to bolt up a 1/10 scale brushless system to it! :o . you can also do the same with a mini Erevo but you would have to buy the adapter plate. (It was like this last i checked they may have changed some stuff)

The Brushed versions will still run a 2S lipo with no issues not 3S though. Plus they are still water proof.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:24 am 

Yeah the money is a factor.

Not so much the amount just the justification of 300 bucks for a RC car for bashing!

But then again

I spend a fortune on my Multirotors and planes and don't think twice!

I am still undecided on this purchase

Atlanta Hobbies has the best price at 299 for the brushless version
Brushed is not an option i don't see the point in buying outdated technology

Thanks for the feed back guys

Ben

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:06 pm 

Well.........If the amount is not a factor check out the 1/10 scale Traxxas Summit! Its Probably the best Basher ever made. Also I have seen some use it as a ground based FPV platform!
I know I know, not helping right?

Good luck man,
Let us know what you get, and how you like it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:53 am 

The Dollar value is always a consideration but this is more about justification for that amount for a "Toy" car

Its funny but i don't consider my Multis or Planes toys.

I am trying to find a second hand one for more sensible money, i have made some offers on classified adds.

I don't want to go 1/10th as i just want a small car for messing about in the desert between flights and when its too windy to fly.
plus i really don't have the space to store anything too big.

Cheers

Ben