It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1800 watt, 4 Port Portable Charging Station
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:44 am 

Here is the list of parts if anyone wants to duplicate my charging setup. I'll post the pics tonight. Don't have access to them at the moment. :face

Harbor Freight 69317 Case $35
(2) iCharger 308Duo ($269 ea
(2) HP DPS-1200FB A Power Supplies ($20-$25 ea)
12V Plugs
Banana female plugs $7
4” LED fan $18
Switch
Female Extension Cord plug $12
¾” Aluminum Angle $6
Nylon Shelf
Black PlastiDip

Post subject: Re: 1800 watt, 4 Port Portable Charging Station
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:38 pm 

Attachment:
24V Setup.jpg
24V Setup.jpg [ 491.66 KiB | Viewed 5961 times ]

Attachment:
Fan.jpg
Fan.jpg [ 389.9 KiB | Viewed 5961 times ]

Attachment:
24V Box.jpg
24V Box.jpg [ 404.09 KiB | Viewed 5961 times ]

Attachment:
24V Plug.jpg
24V Plug.jpg [ 3.31 MiB | Viewed 5961 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:48 pm 

Thank you Bobby for the pics! I've got those same power supplies coming. I've been looking for a 20amp inlet for some overhead, but I guess the 15amp should work fine if you're using it.

Are you using crimps for all your wiring to the plugs and socket? I have differences of opinions on crimps vs. solder. I figure if my home 120 can be held together with electrical tape and wire nuts, my charging system should be fine with the same.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:11 am 

finalcutbro wrote:
Are you using crimps for all your wiring to the plugs and socket? I have differences of opinions on crimps vs. solder. I figure if my home 120 can be held together with electrical tape and wire nuts, my charging system should be fine with the same.

So true. Mine are all crimped. We considered soldering them, but figured that crimping was easier so we would try that first. Also it seems that the material that some plugs are made of don't lend sell to the heat from soldering. Doesn't mean you cannot do it, just you have to be extremely careful and have to decide if it is worth it or not.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:34 am 

Hi Guys

If anyone is interested in running two of these units in series to create 24volt just the same as bobby has done you will need to "Float" the DC ground of one of the Units

Basically what this means is that you need to isolate the 12volt negative side from the earthing of the main case.
This will also allow you to mount both PSU together without any insulation between them.

Its really easy with these power supplies to isolate the DC ground. Its much easier than on the HP PSU that i used for my charger setup.

So here goes.

Open up the case and seperate all of the internal circuits from outer case. This is pretty easy to do just be careful of the LED at the back of the case near the fan.
Make sure you dont damage the black insulation covers as you need to put those back in.

The main circuit boards are mounted to the case at three locations. This is where the circuits are connected to the case completing the ground.
This is where we need to isolate the circuit boards from the case

The circuit boards use metal screws to hold them in place and it is these that help create the contact with ground, so the fist thing to do is to replace these with nylon screws.
I didnt have any in my box that were the correct size so i drilled out the mounting posts and tapped them for M4 thread as that was the size of the nylon bolts i had on hand.
This was made super easy as i have a set of metric drill tap/combo that does this in one easy step.

Replacing the metal screws for nylon screws will not completely isolate the circuit from ground as there are also some metal pads on the bottom and top of the circuit boards around the mounting holes that also make contact with the case, so we need to isolate these as well.

To do this I made some small nylon caps that snugly fit over the top of the mounting post to electrically isolate the circuit boards.
I made these from old servo horns as the inner hole diameter was a nice snug fit. This take only a couple of minutes with a Dremel and a steady hands.

These Nylon caps just fit snugly over the top of the metal mounting posts to completely isolate the circuit boards from the metal case.

All that's left to do is to re-install the circuits into the case using the nylon bolts, making sure that the nylon caps stay in place.

once you have finished reassembling the PSU you need to double check that the 12 volt Negative out put is completely isolated from the case by using a multi meter in continuity mode.
There should be no longer be any connection between the negative output and the case.

The only other mod you need to do to get these PSU to power on is to solder a resistor across a couple of the other smaller terminals

More details and more pictures on how to do all of the above in a slightly different way can be found on the RCHN website Here

They also show the value and exactly what to do with the resistor and where to put it.
The resistor is easily available from your local Radio Shack

It was very easy and quick to do so dont be afraid to have a go.
These are great little units and i can recommend them to anyone in the market.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Ben

TT eHawk 1400
K&A Models Mk 24 Spitfire
CAB Mustang
SimpleCopter TCopter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:13 pm 

Wow. looks nice bobby!

That's a good way to isolate the case. I used heatshrink on the DSP-600 PSUs i used and that seems like it might wear through in a mobile case.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:29 pm 

I like that cap made from servo horns. Awesome tip!

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:41 am 

Great Job!
I was having trouble tracking down a Female Extension Cord plug at my local Home Improvement stores. Didn't think to check amazon.

Building a charger case is on my winter todo list.

Keep up the great work!
Curtis

Citizen#0077

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:48 pm 

I just modified one of mine using M3 nylon bolts and nylon washers without modifying the posts. However, the board now hits a little higher than I'd like and there's some deformation of the washers from the inner diameter of the posts trying to press into the circuit board holes. I think I'm going to grind down the posts to get rid of the smaller diameter section.

Something else I'll be doing is using 64-position (32 each side) edge card connectors with the power wires and jumper resistors soldered to them. That way, if one of my supplies dies, I can easily replace it. Of course, if the failed one had the floating DC ground, I'd have to do the mod again on the replacement.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:53 am 

I'd like to see some pictures of those card connectors Alan if it's not too much trouble

Cheers

TT eHawk 1400
K&A Models Mk 24 Spitfire
CAB Mustang
SimpleCopter TCopter