It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Pitts S2B Thrill Ride
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:33 pm 

Hey guys, Just wanted to share this. about a mile northeast of my house is a small airport called Aero Country. While the airport is pretty small there are some cool planes hangered there. It's not uncommon to sit on my back porch and watch 2-3 AT-6 Texans take off and fly in formation. Also there's been a biplane that i've watched do many aerobatic maneuvers over the last few years. Well last year my mom saw that a company called Four Winds aviation was offering groupon discounts for 30 minute thrill rides. For my birthday and Christmas she bought one for me. I've been trying to schedule this ride since November but due to weather and other things it kept getting postponed. Finally this Friday I was able to go up. Now i've been in a couple of Cessnas and about every commercial airplane that American flies but this was going to be a first for me.

When I got up there we talked a bit and discussed RC and FPV and found out that most of the guys that fly full scale there also do RC some of them even fly there at the airport. We also talked a bit about drones and the FAA. It was pretty cool to talk about it with someone that deals with them for a living.

That being said we got our parachutes on and he gave me some guidelines and we went for the flight. He did a nice little knife edge as we took off and i knew this was going to be fun. We went about 8 miles north of the airport and proceeded to do several things. From some rolls and loops to a half cuban 8. The whole time I was doing ok, then we did one and I told him that made me a little quesy. So we fly straight and level for a bit and to let me get a breather. Then he let me do a 4G loop and after that i told him i think i'm done. We had two moves left to do, but since i told him we better not he let me fly back toward the airport. He took the controls back as we got closer and brought it in with a big sweeping S curve slip and touched down right on the edge of the runway.

Once we got back in the hanger I took a seat while he pulled a copy of the video off my gopro and we talked a bit more. It took about an hour for my stomach to settle down but that was easily one of the coolest experiences i've had.

If anyone gets the chance take it.

Post subject: Re: Pitts S2B Thrill Ride
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:37 am 

fantastic I love the Pitts.

I had a similar experience recently with a flight in an extra 300. they give you the impression they could just squash you flat. impressive little planes.

/Steve

Post subject: Re: Pitts S2B Thrill Ride
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:03 am 

Man that sounds very cool!

I would be hurling in no time!!