It is currently Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: 3D Printing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:39 pm 

Hey guys I know some of you are already into 3D printing but i'm looking into it. And if I had followed some of the suggestions of the guys over at the Crash cast group on Facebook i'd be farther in to it. That being said i'll give you a little history and share my experience so far and then eventually this will become a build thread!

I was originally looking at TheSimple Metal or the Prusa i3v. It turns out there are several folks in the Crashcast group that have the both and really like them. It's a cool kit but while i was looking at those I found out one of my friends has a Solidoodle 3 and he really likes it. Looking at their new model the Solidoodle 4 it was comparable in price but was already assembled and enclosed. Since I'm looking for something that my family can learn on I liked the idea of it being enclosed (plus it doesn't hurt when you have a 3yo that can't keep his hands off things). I looked up some reviews on the 4 and it looked favorable so I went ahead and ordered it. At the time it said delivery would be a 3-4 weeks. No problem that gives me more time to learn how to use it.

As i was digging into the world of 3D printing and all that it entails i started finding more real world experiences with the Solidoodle 4 and it made me nervous. The more i started digging into it the worse it got. Finally i gave up and contacted them to cancel the order. Finally today, a week and a half later it's cancelled, They said the refund will take 7-10 more days making this so far a 6 week ordeal! :face

I'm going to order the Prusa i3v 8" plus a couple of rolls of filament. The lead time is now 7 business days so hopefully in about a week and a half i'll be able to start the build.

Post subject: Re: 3D Printing
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:54 pm 

I have a Two-Up printer that I have never taken the time to get printing properly, but I know they can be an amazing tool.

Everytime I have a purchase experience like you describe it really makes me appreciate the good vendors I use regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:56 am 

Yes I agree and usually i'm willing to pay a couple extra bucks for products from vendors i know and trust!

I'm excited though about the possibilities of 3D printing especially with RC. I think a small glow in the dark quad with LEDs on a switch. Or camera holders or other little projects should be fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:47 am 

The Prusa seems to be the only one of those three with nozzle options for doing more than PLA and ABS, including polycarbonate.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:40 pm 

Very true. I ordered the .40 hex that should be able to handle other materials. Nylon could be interesting. I got a roll of PLA and ABS to start with.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:37 pm 

Hey Mike

it sounds very interestin, I bet it turns into a hobby in its own right!

I have been doing a lot of research into CNC equipment and it's fascinating but quite a steep learning curve once you have scratched the surface.

I will watch your progress with interest.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:27 pm 

Oh oh... just got a box of laser cut goodies and spools of plastic!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:45 pm 

Sweet!

Keep us posted!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:51 pm 

We have a bunch of 3D printers at work; they are just awesome! Go from a design in CAD to a physical part in very little time. I have the urge to get one now after working on my daughters Power Wheels Corvette. There are so many applications even just around the house.

The next best thing to having a friend that owns a boat... is a friend that owns a 3D printer! I can design something and email the file to him and he'll bring me the part the next day. My big struggle is the CAD software. I am used to CATIA at work but need to use Sketch Up at home since its free. It feels just as uncomfortable to use that CAD package as if my right arm was tied behind my back trying to use a PC and a mouse.

I heard good things about the Metal Simple on the 3D Printing Today Podcast (catchy name, huh?).

Citizen #187

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:33 am 

So the build has started. I can see why for the first timer this typically takes some time. It to me about 45 minutes to unpack the box and pull the parts to put together the first step.
The Instructions give you step by step. They tell you what pieces to pull then he has Youtube videos on how to assemble that step.

Step 1:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next