It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 3:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 74  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Notorious B.E.N. Flying/Building/Repairing Blog
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:09 am 

Yeah, that isn't a good sign for the hobby. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:13 am 

Well Global has changed things on their North American business once again so I will be working pretty much all weekend to prepare for meetings next week...

Kind of a bummer but at least I am in a location now where once it warms up, I will be able to make to the field on a regular basis and I don't work as many weekends now as I did when I live in the Texas Panhandle.

While driving to and from our office in Dallas this week, I had some time to think. I made some of my best progression in helis with the 300X and an Align 3GX of all control units. Part of it was that it just felt locked in unless I gave an input. So I'm thinking about getting a BeastX to try out.

I am still a bit of a novice pilot that will be mostly flying sport style even as I progress and I'm not a tweaker per se right now. The Brain is a good unit and it's flown well for me but I am wondering if maybe it's a little too advanced for me right now. Also I flew the 300X either with no gov or with the Castle gov and never had any real complaints so my current ability may be one that doesn't really need it.

Just thinking though...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:11 am 

I started working on changing the ESC and BEC setup on the PROTOS yesterday. I also really need to clean off my desk and reorganize everything...

Anyways, the female bullets that came with the new HobbyWing are 4mm so there's a little less soldering to do. I began by getting the XT90's on the ESC and the first thing I had to figure out was how to get both the ESC and BEC input wires together. They are a bit too big to fit in the receptacle on the XT90s so I first soldered on the ESC input wire and then soldered the BEC input wire to the ESC wire.

For the phase sensor wires, I just pulled off the heat shrink off of the female bullets on the ESC, took off a little more insulation, pre-tinned the wire on the phase sensor, wrapped it around the ESC wire, soldered it right above the female bullets, and then put new heat shrink over everything.

After I got that done, I spent some time trying to figure out the best way to mount everything. I had to pull the motor out to turn the wires around 180 degrees from where they were and then the new ESC works in the stock location. I'm going to go this route and figure out the best way to route the wiring.

I also did some thinking while at work yesterday. I might look for a way to make the Brain a little bit more rigid and just stick with it. I already have the APP for it but the BeastX is still appealing because any adjustments would be made on the unit with the exception of the governor.

Attachments:
20180113_202824.jpg
20180113_202824.jpg [ 1.26 MiB | Viewed 462 times ]
20180113_210719.jpg
20180113_210719.jpg [ 912.63 KiB | Viewed 462 times ]
20180113_211337.jpg
20180113_211337.jpg [ 995.26 KiB | Viewed 462 times ]
20180113_224653.jpg
20180113_224653.jpg [ 950.43 KiB | Viewed 462 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:16 pm 

Hard to go wrong with any of them, Ben! In no particular order, I've flown:

BeastX
Align 3GX
VBar (full size, Mini, and Neo)
Brain (V1 and V2)
Thunder Tiger GT5.1
Skookum (540 and 720)
Robird G31

The only one of those that I removed after only a couple of flights was the Thunder Tiger, as I just couldn't get it tuned to have any sort of decent feel. I really wanted to like it, since it has an OLED display and (like the BeastX) all setup and tuning is done right on the unit. Oh well.

Right now I've got a Brain in the Mini P, Mini Brain 2 in the P380, Micro Brain in the 180CFX, and I had a Mini Brain 2 in the 300x, which moved over to the Oblivion. However, I found a Mini VBar stashed away (forgot I had it) so I'll be moving that into the Oblivion as it's a better fit (physically).

Chris

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:12 pm 

Well, I did some research and the Beastx is a good unit but I think I'm going to play around with the settings in the Brain first.

I found out the cost for the upgrade to bank switching and some other features was 99 euros and so a new unit with the upgrade would be in the $300+ range.

I also got a little soldering done tonight on the EF Yak. It is officially a XT60 setup now!

With the size of the wiring on the ESC, it was a bit hard to get the wires to really go in to the connector but I think there is enough contact. With my iron they were really easy to solder on too.

I also soldered on a connector for the battery. I think what I am going to do for a charge lead (bearing in mind the CellPro 10S doesn't need one with the plug blocker) is find a wiring harness with a deans on it and then use one of my 4mm banana plugs to deans charge cables. There will be deans connector in the connection but that way I can charge at the field with a CellPro 10S or use my PowerLab 8 to charge with the same adapter and then I'll work on finding some 4mm connectors to make a another charge lead with.

Lastly I wanted to plug everything in and test it out. I took a light duty extension cable and clipped the positive wire for the ESC signal and not to have feedback to the BEC in it. Everythinng powered up and there was no magic smoke. I'm going to have to work on where to mount the BEC though because it's a little odd for the wiring now and I'm afraid of the wire coming undone and losing power to the receiver.

Attachments:
20180115_194608.jpg
20180115_194608.jpg [ 897.42 KiB | Viewed 445 times ]
20180115_202130.jpg
20180115_202130.jpg [ 853.13 KiB | Viewed 445 times ]
20180115_202200.jpg
20180115_202200.jpg [ 863.74 KiB | Viewed 445 times ]
20180115_205410.jpg
20180115_205410.jpg [ 1.2 MiB | Viewed 445 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:42 am 

Notorious B.E.N. wrote:
I found out the cost for the upgrade to bank switching and some other features was 99 euros and so a new unit with the upgrade would be in the $300+ range.
Yikes! :o
For that amount of money you may as well go with VBar.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:40 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
Notorious B.E.N. wrote:
Yikes! :o
For that amount of money you may as well go with VBar.

I am interested in getting a V-Control for the telemetry but for now I'm going to stick with something else.

Also, the V-Control is more heli centered and I'm not sure how much mixing it would have for Pattern and IMAC. Some of that may just be my ignorance though...

Post subject: The Notorious B.E.N. Flying/Building/Repairing Blog
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:55 pm 

Using macrocells in the VControl you could conjur up some mixing. But not worth the effort for pattern or IMAC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:43 pm 

We had some really cold weather earlier in the week and it broke Friday. I was hoping to make it to the field on Saturday but it was cloudy all day except for a brief moment with some light drizzle. So my F3A packs got a cycle put on them. Probably doesn't hurt to do that every once in a while regardless if you are flying or not.

I had a good bit of honey-dos to get done today and it was cloudy with a high likelihood of rain so I didn't even bother to charge anything up.

I did work on trying to get the old motor mounts off of the Tiger 2 but that thing is a wreck. I wasn't having a lot of success and it wouldn't be without tearing something up. Plus the covering was starting to come off so I just started pulling out the electronics and put the fuse in the trash. I then grabbed the Sabre and did the same thing. It was sitting out in the garage and with as humid as it was today, I could see moisture having an effect on the YS if it stayed out in a bunch of that.

So now I have a mess of servos and the YS sitting on my bench. I still haven't decided what to put it in. I may get a new motor mount for my trainer (just need a few parts off of the new one to get the old one working) and throw the YS in there for the time being. I'm still bouncing around and my kit list is Sig Somethin' Extra, Sig Kougar, and bashing a B&P Associates Perfection (60 sized plane) to make it something more 40ish sized.

And I might just get an ARF to put it in too...

I also worked on making up a couple charge leads with XT60s. This was done using some wiring harnesses and a old HK parallel charging board I had on hand with the XT60 connector.

Now that nitro is in a safe place, I plan on finishing up the PROTOS and the Byp Yak. I was looking at the Byp Yak today and I am working on an idea to make the battery placement and wiring for the ESC/Motor easier. I'm not sure what they were thinking when this airplane was designed. The battery slot is far away from the ESC placement and there is not a clear channel to run the wiring to the battery.

It's also a bit of a bummer that this is my last full week at home before 2 weeks of travel for work. We will see what I can get done before I leave though.

Attachments:
20180121_205054.jpg
20180121_205054.jpg [ 1.06 MiB | Viewed 413 times ]
20180121_212925.jpg
20180121_212925.jpg [ 2.13 MiB | Viewed 413 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:45 pm 

I did some work on my old Avistar trainer tonight. Mostly I wanted to pull out the fuel tank to check the condition of the stopper. I was able to push it out but took of a bit of skin in doing so.

No bleeding, but still a little painful...

To my surprise, the rubber is still good even after 17 years!

I put in an order to Tower tonight to get the few supplies that I need to get it up and going. I bought a motor mount to get the parts I am missing to mount the YS 63 (bit of an overkill...), a new fuel tank (just in case), some #64 rubber bands (because mine are 17 years old), some pushrod parts to replace the ends that might not hold up, and some CA.

I bought the CA to start assembling my Skeeter 40 kit. I almost bought an Eagle 2 kit too to build for my son, but if I want to take on that project, I'll see about picking it up next month or when I feel the time is right to start on it. It's mostly to avoid buying a 2 ounce bottle of CA that goes bad to be honest.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 731 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 74  Next