It is currently Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1055 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 106  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Notorious B.E.N. Flying/Building/Repairing Blog
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:53 pm 

Yikes, a plane in the pits is always an 'OS' moment.
Good luck tomorrow!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:46 am 

Good luck Ben!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:44 pm 

Well the rise to third was not to be. I was first up for Intermediate this morning and I was feeling good and confident until I made my first turn and realized I had the wrong (Polarized) sunglasses on.

Mark Hunt was calling for me so I had a good caller. I also really goofed up one maneuver that I should have gotten a 0 for but the judges didn't catch it so I actually feel a little bit better about not getting a trophy.

I had 3 really good rounds so I need to work on my consistency and fine tune some of the sequence. Mark also stated that he would like to spend a day with me to work on a few things so I'm close to where I want to be.

I also got very lucky in that I had a minor bump on my prop yesterday landing in the wind on Round 5. Everything checked out but I had to go to full power to get one of the maneuvers done this morning and when I was putting my prop cover back on, I discovered a crack. So seeing as how loosing a blade would have caused my motor to come out of the plane, I'm going to be happy I'm not looking for a replacement.

I received a couple good comments on the DeJaVu this weekend so I'm still not in any rush to replace it but leaning towards getting a Cadence kit to build.

I was also thinking about dropping my stance on HobbyKing and using their 5S 5000 packs but I heard someone complain about them only lasting 30-40 flights (he did name some off-brand charger that he was using which could be part of it) and then a fellow Intermediate pilot lost two sets this weekend and the ones below were on their 26th flight. Needless to say he was not able to finish the full sequence.

I might still give them a go or I might just stick with the GForce batteries. I plan on getting at least 3 sets and using my 2 chargers and generator to get at least 6 flights each time I practice.

Attachments:
44046050_1796088517175554_1933148841305964544_n.jpg
44046050_1796088517175554_1933148841305964544_n.jpg [ 83.32 KiB | Viewed 1129 times ]
20181014_130807.jpg
20181014_130807.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 1129 times ]
20181014_112724(0).jpg
20181014_112724(0).jpg [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 1129 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:45 pm 

New prop ordered along with a new set of tires for my wheels and ball bearing pushrod ends so I can finish swapping the control rods for the ailerons.

I hope to be back up and flying this weekend provided the rain stops.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:25 pm 

Well darn. But it sounds like you had some good practice and experience!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:04 pm 

I had fun which was the most important thing.

Using where I left off of last years contest at College Station, I only flew 71 times (if I remember correctly what I ended on in that contest) including the 8 flights this weekend which is not enough to be highly competitive. Life got in the way a little bit and only having 2 battery sets caused some minor problems. So I did good and I improved a good bit in the past 2 weeks since this years College Station contest. And it's something to build upon and go with. I just want more batteries to make sure I can accomplish what I want.

I also learned that I want to stay away from biplanes for pattern for the time being. I guess if that's all you flew you could get used to some of the tendencies but Jeff from our club went from lower in the Master's pack to finish third after switching from his Mystery to his Acuity.

Post subject: The Notorious B.E.N. Flying/Building/Repairing Blog
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:04 pm 

Pattern advancement is a marathon, not a sprint. The fun is the learning you do along the way and clawing your way up.

I have a buddy that I used to compete against every contest. He has since passed me up in a big way a long time ago, but back a few years ago the competition made it a blast.

Bipes are fun, but it’s a whole different level of trimming. I have a BiSide and it flies well now, but getting it there was a task. A lot of guys have tried them around here but always end up selling them and going back to a monoplane. It’s just simpler.

If I got back in I would eventually do the same. But right now I’m stuck with no place to fly and a plane nobody wants. Oh well. I still like it.

But anyway, Good job Ben, you’ll get there. I only know him by reputation but if you could do some flying with Mark Hunt that would be awesome. He will certainly get you going in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:11 pm 

Mark is a great guy that knows about just working to get better and making small improvements is how you get there. When I realized I had the wrong sunglasses on, he said something along the lines of "you've flown with them before" which helped to calm me down. I need some small improvements and to get out and fly and I could dominate Intermediate and have a good foundation to move up.

Some of it was just the circumstances of the year. I started out good, had to go overseas and had a hemorrhage in my eye, ESC lost a capacitor and then gave out soon after that, had to get used to an ESC with a different feel, and some other things that got in the way. It's a bit unfortunate but it's important to just keep going.

I crashed my plane in my first IMAC competition practicing after the contest had finished for the day. I was offered by Mark Dennis to fly a 100cc Aeroworks 260 and got better scores than the previous day with an airframe I only quickly flew before the contest restarted the next day. You pick up the pieces and make something happen.

And nothing against bipes for sure but they do take some work to setup and trim properly. Just a little simpler with a monoplane is all and sometimes being simple helps. My $0.02.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:44 pm 

I'm still recovering from the weekend so not too much going on hobby wise. I moved a few things around in my work area and made use of some of the space in the closet from selling off the EF Edge.

I did get the energy to start edge gluing the sheeting for the fuse together.

I have a meeting in Dallas to head to tomorrow so this will be it until Friday.

Attachments:
20181016_213544.jpg
20181016_213544.jpg [ 1.16 MiB | Viewed 1101 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:44 am 

I went through and looked at where I was at the end of the College Station contest in 2017 and my flight count was 32. So I only flew the DeJaVu 76 times this year including judged flights. So I have to do something different for 2019 to get the flight count up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1055 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 106  Next