It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: It's time, but I need help!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:10 am 

OK, it's time for me to get some FPV stuff, but the more I read the more I'm confused. :face

I really like the idea of the Quanum DIY goggle kit that HK released (out of stock already!):
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh ... duct=53706
I realize I could try and make something similar myself, but for that price... why? I figured I'd buy two sets and have one for "passengers".

Where I'm really confused though is the camera, transmitter, and receiver. I won't do anything long range, so 5.8 should be fine. But there's Fatshark, Boscam, Immersion... What do I need? :thinking

Keep in mind, this is not for hardcore use. I don't see myself doing a lot of FPV, this is more for times when I visit relatives in the country who want to see their property from the air, or the occasional trip around the flying field.

EDIT: What about the FatShark Teleporter V3?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... ts_id=2280

Post subject: Re: It's time, but I need help!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:12 am 

If those quanums don't come back in stock. You can get the $30 7" LCD off amazon. Seems to work farily well. I made one for my son to ride along.

The fat sharks setup will work but i've heard that camera has delay on it. But it would work for now and if you notice the delay is too bad you could use your gopro or get this camera later: http://www.securitycamera2000.com/produ ... 2d-US.html

Attachments:
2014-05-27 23.08.27.jpg
2014-05-27 23.08.27.jpg [ 981.67 KiB | Viewed 4160 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:16 am 

Thanks! Yeah, Ben pointed out that one of our listeners had already posted a comparison video here showing the delay. I think that would bug the crap out of me now that I watch it.

What about TX / RX combos? I don't mind at all having a "base station" with receiver, battery, antenna stand, etc. I'll just make it so it all fits in a small toolbox or something so it's easy to carry.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:05 pm 

So the catch on the 5.8 systems is they are not all compatible. And in some of the brands they even use different bands. So since you are starting out like with any thing else, try to identify exactly what you want it to do and buy the set that best matches it. The 5.8 Rx built into goggles is very compact and portable but cost a little more. I think most people will say the screen is easier to use to begin with, but the goggles give you a much more immersive experience. I also like the goggles better as it's easier to block the light out. Even when it's cloudy the googles are easier to see through.

I use a RX/TX combo with my fatshark base googles and am very happy with it. I mount the RX on either a walking stick or tripod with velcro straps and it works very well. It's easy to carry into a field or where ever i want to go. I ended up with a boscam system as i picked up the whole setup from a guy on RCGroups for a pretty good price. If i was buying new i'd probably buy one of the fatshark compatible imersionrc systems with the RX in the googles. Something like this. but with a 5-600mw TX. Everyone I've seen that has the imersionrc stuff really likes them.

On the monitor posted above this is what i'm using. The RX has dual AV out, so if you get a second cable you can hook the monitor or googles up for the second person to view. Works well and gets me a solid 1500' with no obstructions on my quad which is plenty far to explore around. But this boscam set is only compatible with the F band boscam RX or the new 32channel RX's. 1 3s2200 battery powers the RX, Monitor and goggles and will net out more flights than i've ever put in at a single time.
RX $29.99 - http://hobbywireless.com/58-ghz-receive ... p-407.html
TX $69.99 - http://hobbywireless.com/58-ghz-transmi ... p-826.html
Clover leaf antennas like these: http://hobbywireless.com/58-ghz-antenna ... p-879.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:22 pm 

Thanks Mike! OK, so just to be clear... If I get that Fatshark setup I will still want to buy a 600mw transmitter, because the one that comes with it is too weak? Like this one?
http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index. ... cts_id=266

So with that + antennas, we're still looking at $400. <sigh> Liz is not going to like me.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:04 pm 

Yeah the goggles tend to raise the price...

To start with the 250mw is probably OK, I can't say as I only have 500mw. I have heard though the 250 can have pretty short range especially if you use the stock antennas. The CP antennas are a must though and might help offset the 250mw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:04 pm 

I guess that's one reason why I'm leaning towards the DIY goggles + "ground station" for RX and power. Plus, I've flown with Fatshark goggles and honestly wasn't impressed with the video. The DIY viewscreen + fresnel may not be any better, but it's sure a lot cheaper!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:31 am 

Hey Chris - I have a lot of success with Boscam 5.8 gear. I tend to deal with Foxtech....

http://www.foxtechfpv.com

There are some good prices on this web site but I guess the downside is that you have to wait for the slow boat from china ! Good stuff though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:20 am 

I also use Boscam 200mw TX's on all my quads and tri's with cheap cloverleaf antennas (skewplaner on the RX) as I generally stay within half a klick. Though with a decent helical on the ground station you could easily double that I would think. I have purchased all my Boscam stuff from Banggood & have yet to have a failure with any of this cheap gear & considering an RX/TX combo can be purchased for a very decent price its a very good starter kit.

http://www.banggood.com/buy/boscam.html

I have had a set of fatshark goggles for a while now but am also keen to get a set of the Quanum DIY to see what they are like.

As for camera I always fly through my main camera now be that the gopro, HorizonHD or Aee magicam, I don't bother with a separate one anymore but if I still did I would spend a little more on a decent sony 600tvl or equivalent rather then one of the cheap 420/500tvl from Hobbyking etc. securitycamera2000 is an ideal place to source a very good camera/deal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:22 am 

Thanks guys! This helps a lot. So here's a list from BangGood (gotta love that name!). Does this look like the right stuff for a "starter setup"?

Transmitter
Receiver
Antenna

Ben has sent me some links to cameras he uses from securitycamera2000. I do have a GoPro, but it's an older Hero2 so I don't know that it would be suitable as the "flying" camera, but it'll certainly ride along for recording duty.

Now if the DIY goggles come back in stock, I'll be set other than stuff like splitters, cables, and batteries.

EDIT: There's also this 400mw combo kit...?