It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: It's all Chris's fault!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:48 am 

Only Fine Helis wrote:

Nick, what did you find different in the capabilities of the Jeti vs the Taranis?

The differences I saw were with much earlier firmware on both. At this point they are very similar, except the Jeti is easier to program. One thing that would be nice to see in other radios besides Jeti is the accelerometer. Being able to tilt the radio to read timers and telemetry is awesome. Heck, you can use it to fly a plane if you want. I'm going to have to try it some day, maybe with my Vapor since it's so light and slow.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:51 am 

tpalshadow wrote:
I also have never seen a loss of control (other than being over a mile away) with stock Taranis and FrSky receivers...nor have I ever really read of one other than the post above stating there was one.

Don't take that as me saying that Frsky protocol is bad. I had a fail safe on a Trex 700e at fairly close range on a pass right in front of me. I learned that the paddle antennas are very sensitive to orientation, rotated one of them and it never happened again. After that I won't use the paddle antenna receivers. The whisker antennas have been flawless.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:18 am 

Eury wrote:
Don't take that as me saying that Frsky protocol is bad. I had a fail safe on a Trex 700e at fairly close range on a pass right in front of me. I learned that the paddle antennas are very sensitive to orientation, rotated one of them and it never happened again. After that I won't use the paddle antenna receivers. The whisker antennas have been flawless.

Interesting point, I never quite understood the paddles either, but I haven't had any issues like you describe. Good heads up though!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:38 am 

Thanks for clarifying that, Nick! Those paddle antenna are the only thing I've ever had issue with as well. Two times I've gotten "RSSI Low" alerts (no control issues) and both times were with the paddle antenna. I switched them out to either the stock whiskers or the new "barrel" type and have had no further alerts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:12 pm 

Jeti is in my future. So just poor me with Dx18's and vcontrol (just the 880 though). (-:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:08 pm 

OnTheSnap wrote:
Jeti is in my future. So just poor me with Dx18's and vcontrol (just the 880 though). (-:

Trying to drum up sympathy? Lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:35 pm 

OnTheSnap wrote:

I have a tiny violin here for you

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:36 pm 

I'm not sure OnTheSnap and "poor" should be in the same post!

Regarding what's missing from Taranis - for me it was support for ESCs with built-in telemetry. The number of FrSky modules that had to be wired up looked like a rats nest. Maybe it's better now. As mentioned FBL tuning is another "wish list" item that has yet to materialize.

I have a question regarding wireless buddy boxing with the Jeti - it there a cost effective way to do this? Or do you need two $800 radios? Graupner has a fairly capable $150 mz12 which makes a nice wireless buddy box for the mz24. I need to keep my son in the loop.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:19 pm 

There is not an inexpensive factory solution, however if you do some googling you will find several innovative inexpensive solutions. Most of them use the Jeti's ppm out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:44 pm 

I did a write up and made a video that's on YouTube on how to buddy box with anything. I give my 7 year old son my Taranis and I have the Ds16. All wireless. You can do it easily with other brands as well. I had him use an MZ12 for a while before deciding that I didn't need 3 radios and consolidated down to the Taranis and Jeti.