It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's all Chris's fault!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:28 am 

Only Fine Helis wrote:
And feel three times as good and program fbl units in the transmitter. :-))
(And a few other things)
Yeah, that is true. Well, it will be true eventually.

Eury wrote:
Come on Chris. It's no where near twice as much.

You're right, it's more like four times as much. :tongue

But, on the other hand, there is something to be said for a really good quality "turn key" solution. Granted, I'm having fun trying to make my own custom case for Taranis guts, but I'm sure it will never be as nice as a Jeti.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:09 am 

Keep at'em Nick!

( All in good fun Chris ;-) )

In all seriousness though, I have been thinking quite a lot about the investment we have in our planes, helis, multirotors, etc. and the way that the transmitter is our only link and physical connection to all of our models. We invest $? (a lot) in our models and then try to get by with the least expensive transmitter that will give us enough channels and do what we think it needs to do.

I have thought a lot about it and realized that at least for me, the investment is well worth it for the feel of the transmitter, flexibility, telemetry capability, fbl unit integration, etc. I have come to the conclusion that most of the time we select our models and then figure out what we can get by with for a transmitter, when it might be more wise for us to place our priority on a radio system.

Just thinking . . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:46 am 

That is a very good point, Shannon. It is our only link, and the part we spend the most time with "hands on".
For me, the Taranis wasn't initially all about being cheap. I wanted functional telemetry, and it seemed like none of the other major players had anything really worthy. Some still don't (I'm looking at you, Spektrum!)

Once I got over the initial hurdle of programming the Taranis, I really have enjoyed the fact that it also just happens to be very reasonably priced. Especially the receivers and telemetry widgets!

In looking at the Jeti lineup of receivers, I still haven't found anything that looks as small and convenient as the FrSky X4R-SB. What would be the most comparable to this little gem?

http://www.alofthobbies.com/frsky-x4r-sb.html

It's about the size of a Spektrum satellite, and with S-Bus offers 16 channels, full range, and telemetry port. I'm using them in all my helis now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:15 am 

The little r4l is very similar, R3SW is also similar, but has some unique features.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:26 am 

If you look at the description for the r4l it says it's for Parkfliers. That is a mistype that Jeti has confirmed multiple times, but Esprit/Jeti USA refuses to correct. It is full range.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:03 pm 

Ah, OK. That threw me. That looks like a similar footprint to the XR4-SB. I will refrain from commenting about the price, we've already established that this shouldn't be part of the conversation here. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:26 pm 

That's one of the things that is neat about this hobby - "different strokes for different folks".

I for sure try to not put people in "my box" at the hobby shop when they're trying to make decisions. I do however try to help them not to buy 2 or 3 times on the way to their final destination like I did.

Sometimes a couple of extra dollars up front saves a lot in the long run. ( A good charger would be a perfect example )

YMMV :-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:59 pm 

That's a good point too, Shannon! In the last 7 or 8 years I've had:

JR 9303
JR X9303
Airtronics SD-10G
Spektrum DX6i
Spektrum DX8
Frsky Taranis

Other than the DX6i (which was horrible) there wasn't anything really wrong with any of them. I just like trying new things, and like I said the telemetry thing was appealing to me. All part of the hobby for me, I guess.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:24 pm 

We need to get Kenny S to weigh in on this topic.

He probably owns more Transmitters than Shannon has in stock!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:06 pm 

The way I've always seen it, the radio is the one thing in this hobby that can be considered an investment. You don't crash it, you use it every time you fly, it will last decades, and if you decide to move to something else in a reasonable amount of time it can be sold for close to the purchase price (in my experience).

I started like everyone did, with cheap stuff. In my case it was an old Futaba Gold Box on a Shuttle ZX back in the early 90s. It was already old and obsolete but it worked. Moved to a computer based Futaba that I forget the model of when it was released, then a year or so later was offered a NIB Concept and Futaba 9z by a widow who did not know what to do with the things her husband had acquired. That 9z was an eye opener. It was solid, felt amazing, and was 1000% reliable while also making the Taranis look like it has a simple interface. I even bought a 3rd party book to learn how to program it. I flew that same radio for nearly 10 years with in everything from nitro helis from 30 to 90 size to the first commercially successful mini electric (Zoom 400), to a QWW electric to a couple Xcell and Predator Gassers. Even taught myself to fly planes with it going as high as a couple 35% composite giant scale DA100 powered gassers. Even if I had paid the grand or more that it cost when it was new, the flexibility and reliability of that radio took me through everything the hobby had to offer and over the time I used it the price per year was nothing.

Fast forward a coupe years and I moved to Spektrum with the DX7 after an idiot intentionally shot down my Sceadu Evo 50 with a synthesized module and I didn't feel safe with the 9Z anymore (this was before 2.4 modules). I moved through all the Spektrums and JRs then to the Futaba 8fg up to the 12z and 14mz. Not once did I lose more than 10-15% when I sold the radios upon moving up, and I would still bump into limitations when I owned the lower end sets.

Then 2013 came along and I damn near cut off my right foot in a lawn tractor accident and I found myself with entirely too much time on my hands and very limited mobility for about 6 months while I healed/did rehab. So I decided to try all the radios out there. Went from a DX18 over to a 14SG when trying to rig up telemetry on a Whiplash Gasser and being frustrated by the amount of equipment it required to do anything with the DX18 telemetry wise. After a month or so I bit the bullet and bought the Jeti. Loved it, but of course price wise and capability wise the Taranis I picked up at the same time would do almost all the same things, and I felt guilty having such an expensive radio when I was out of work and having to get my wife to load my Jeep and then my friends carry my helis out to the flightline for me. So I sold it for almost exactly what I paid for it. Tried the Graupner MZ24 and while there were aspects I liked, there were some I hated and the limitations compared to the Jeti and Taranis meant it went away as well, again only losing about $50 of my original investment.

Once I got to where I could walk (and the FAA said I could fly) again and got back to work I picked up the Jeti again. I've got to say, I love it. If the DS14 had been out I would have gotten it, but the DS16 was the only one at the time so that's where I went. I've yet to run into any limitation with it, if anything it far outstrips what I need and have come up with. But I like to experiment and it lets me do that. It feels great in the hand, the battery lasts a long time and charges from USB in my Jeep when I'm at the field, and unlike almost every radio I've had (yes, even my Taranis had a lock out) I've never had a hint of signal loss even when flying low and at great distances.

If someone was to get a DS14 at $800, then spend $50 or so on various modules and upgrades to make it how they want, I'd expect that it'll last them at least 6 years, probably closer to 10 or more. Jeti is constantly adding features with free updates, and things like wireless programming of the Ikon only make it more compelling. Even on the low end of time at 6 years, you're only paying $141 per year to have a truly remarkable piece of equipment. Fly a little higher and you'll save twice that on crashes in a season. Receivers are reasonable, and at $50 to get a FBL heli or multi rotor in the air, and $20 more for a 7CH that'll get most planes going you are at or below the cost of Spektrum or Futaba with far more capability. Couple that with amazing ESCs with strong BECs (My Goblin 700 Comp has been flying on a Mezon 130 with the built in BEC for a year) that tell you everything about your heli and plane including head speed, amp draw, MAH consumed, voltage, BEC voltage and BEC draw, and all the other great telemetry features available, there really isn't anything comparable. Any value can be read aloud to you from a switch, when it hits a predefined value, or even just by tilting the radio and activating the accelerometer. Heck, show me ANY radio that you can graph every telemetry parameter right on the radio screen and zoom in and really analyze the data you have. There's only 3 that can do it, the DS14, DS16, and DC16.

There is nothing like the Jeti line, at any price. Can you fly your stuff with a less capable radio? Sure. But you probably won't get the enjoyment you would from a Jeti, and if it isn't a Jeti, Graupner or Taranis you won't be using MAH consumed to determine your flight times, and the Jeti is the easiest and quickest to set that up on. My Goblin 700 flights can vary from 4:30 up to 9 minutes depending on how I fly, it'd be a shame to give that up with a less capable radio. I recognize that not everyone wants or needs a setup like the Jeti, but I think that 1 flight with it would be enough to convince most people that it is worth every penny.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next