It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's all Chris's fault!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:20 pm 

Amen and Amen!!!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:29 pm 

Borneoben wrote:
We need to get Kenny S to weigh in on this topic.

He probably owns more Transmitters than Shannon has in stock!

Wow Ben, don't hold back. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:59 pm 

Since this has been brought up I might as well chime in a bit.

I guess it can be said that I am a radio junkie. I have been through several radios in the last 13 years. I can't say that I necassarily utilized each one of the radios that I have owned. I can however say which ones that I have liked compared to disliked. This does give me a slight advantage of having working knowledge about programming basic radio setups for most flight control units. I enjoy having a little knowledge about most radios.

Without going into a lengthy discussion, I have been in search for the perfect radio for a long time. For me, the Vbar Control is close, but totally different from other radio's. It is basically a dumb downed box, but its integration into the flight control unit is simply amazing. I also think it has set a path for other manufactures to follow. The ability to make adjustments in the flight control unit on the fly is super cool. And the funny thing is, almost every person that has flown my setup, radio/heli have really liked the feel. The downside is not having any airplane functionality. Maybe one day they will have it, but I can't for the life of me see how they could handle simple adjustments that you would use on an airplane. I assume one day they will either have a whole new radio or a gyro for airplanes. Time will tell.

So if you ask me, "will the Vbar Control be my last radio" the answer would be, heck no... So stick around, never know what I will bring to the field next.

Kenny

Last edited by kennys on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:14 pm 

Nick, thank you for the thoughtful write up and comparison! You make some very good points, and have given me a lot to think about.

Kenny? You're a lost cause my friend. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:22 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
Nick, thank you for the thoughtful write up and comparison! You make some very good points, and have given me a lot to think about.

Kenny? You're a lost cause my friend. :lol:

Not completely I hope.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:29 pm 

Nah, we can cure you. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:18 am 

I'd love to try the Vbar control, but not with all the limitations. I fly everything so it just doesn't work for me. Plus, I enjoy experimenting with different FBL setups and I'd hate to lose that ability.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:13 am 

I've only had the Jeti for a short while, but so far I've found the programming features to be very powerful and easy to understand and implement.

The flexibility of the system is great without having to write code to accomplish your objective.

Nick, what did you find different in the capabilities of the Jeti vs the Taranis?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:03 pm 

Are there any features the Jeti has that the Taranis doesn't? Personally I think the open source community around the Taranis is hard to beat with new features being unlocked and utilized daily. I have not seen a single "wish" that there isn't a solution to using the software and hardware available.

I also have never seen a loss of control (other than being over a mile away) with stock Taranis and FrSky receivers...nor have I ever really read of one other than the post above stating there was one.

If the only difference is the feel of the Jeti then I guess it comes down to different strokes for different folks; but to me the power of the open source community puts the Taranis and some of the possible future higher end radios far in the lead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:32 pm 

The Jeti line of radios just came out with the ability to talk to the Spirit FBL controllers through telemetry. So you can manipulate your settings and program your unit like VBar Control. AND coming down the pike is compatibility with the new, not yet released, Bavarian Demon FBL controller, as well as MSH Brain/Ikon. Which when that comes out, could really be a game changer. My brand loyalties lie elsewhere, but that will be a pretty amazing system having full telemetry through Jeti ESCs and be able to talk to multiple brands of FBL controllers.

This is a great time to be in the hobby. Don't like your options for radios? Just wait six months, the landscape will change completely! :banana

Tom M

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next