It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: 1000W discharge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:26 am 

I've used my iCharger duo's regenerative discharge to pump energy back into AGM batteries... but on the bench I've been limited to 80W discharge when storing packs.

This weekend I built a 1000W discharge load out of some cheap parts off Amazon. Box was $12, 130W auto bulbs $6 each. Used an XT60 panel connector from HK. Bulbs are wired 4 parallel x 2 series for 24V input up to 40A. Internal 40A auto fuse.

Now the iCharger can dump 1000W from channel 1 into this load on channel 2 with full charge control. Storing packs is very fast! I should have done this years ago! The whole box gets hot after a while so I may add some active cooling... but I think everything is still within temp tolerance - it would just be for handling.

I originally made a plexiglass top plate but decided to leave it off for heat dissipation. Maybe with active cooling it would work. If I stay passive I will probably put thin alum bar stock around the top for bulb protection.

Post subject: Re: 1000W discharge
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:13 am 

That is very cool!!

Ill have to see if i can do something similar with my Powerlab 6

I think I can

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:36 am 

I remember looking into it when I had a single channel Powerlab 8. I think regenerative discharge back into a lead-acid battery power source is supported. But on the bench using an AC power supply and a charger with only one channel you had to apply the bulb load yourself and put the charger in some sort of "snoop" mode to monitor the discharge. I can't remember if disconnecting the bulb load was completely manual or if there was a circuit you could rig up to disconnect the load.

With the iCharger duo chan1->chan2 discharge the load ramp-up and ramp-down are completely controlled and automatic... with a "soft stop" at the battery storage level.

Oh, I forgot to mention inside the box you need the ceramic H4 bulb sockets... you can't use the similar plastic relay sockets because of the heat. The bulb sockets I think were only a few bucks each.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:00 am 

Thanks for that

will look into it some more and add it to the loooong list of projects......