It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Tail/Gyro Settings for iKON
PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:13 am 

I need some advice. I've got a 450-sized heli (a T-Rex 450 Plus converted to flybarless) and in general it really flies great. I'm using an iKON flight controller, and I think I need to adjust some settings to tweak the tail hold.

I'm no fancy pilot by any means, but my confidence is slowly increasing. The heli is great when "sport flying" around the field, but when I try a more "aggressive" maneuver such as rapidly increasing collective for a fast change in altitude from hover, the tail kicks out (to the right, nose left). I also feel like the tail is not always fully responsive at moments, such as flying tail-first/backwards.

I had the iKON gain setting at 45 (in the software), and adjusted the channel 5 switch in my transmitter to increase the gain to 50 and 55, and I couldn't tell any difference at all. On my next flight, I was planning to try 60 and 75 gains (iKON software display), but it sounds pretty far from the "default" setting of 45. My thought was to keep increasing the gain until I see "waggle" and then back off. Does that sound like the proper procedure?

I was wondering if there was something else I should adjust. Both boxes for Pitch Precompensation and Cyclic Precompensation are checked. But the Proportional Gain slider in the tail menu is at 0. Should it be?

I know I don't have a fancy heli with $$$ parts, as the tail is just the stock Align digital servo. But it would be great if I could improve the tail performance to feel a bit more "locked-in".

Thank you!!

-Kelly

Post subject: Re: Tail/Gyro Settings for iKON
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:03 am 

Just keep increasing the tail gain settings exactly as you planned.

i recently did the same thing on my MaxV2, running Brain (same as Ikon) I started at the default 45 and ended up at 90!! at my lowest headspeed (1500 which is very low for a 700) and like 75 at 1650HS i think.

One thing i did find that i had far too much pitch range. I had like 18 degrees positive and negative!!

Check you pitch range you shouldn't really need any more than 12 degrees positive and negative.
If your pulling too much pitch in a punch out that will heavily load the system and you may not have the tail authority to compensate hence the tail kick.

Also check to see if your head-speed is high enough. If its too low you just wont have the RPM at the tail you need.
Some models have tail speed up gears available so you could run a lower head speed to get the longer flight times and still have the tail authority you want

Hope that helps

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:13 am 

Sometimes gain number is off due to how the ball is placed on the arm. Closer to servo will require higher gain. Farther out lower gain. This is from past experience. But all helis are different depending on servo speed and such. Find what works for your heli and run with it. I also would keep increasing it.

what tail servo
how far out it the ball on the arm

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:14 am 

Ok so its a align 520m right.

make sure servo type and speed are set right.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:18 am 

One more thing. This one got me on my trex450
what govoner are you using?
The esc sucks on align. It was causing wags for me.
Use the ikon,brain gov with a HW sensor.