It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RC Today Show 095: Scott Milton from Ace Helis
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:48 pm 

In this episode: Chris and Bobby talk with Scott Milton from Ace Helis. Scott gives the listeners an insight into his amazing canopy painting techniques. Tune in!

http://wp.me/p2wnPS-jo

Here is a link to Scott's YouTube videos!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDSz_yP ... ity_view=3

Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 095: Scott Milton from Ace Helis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:15 am 

Chargers

You know, the PowerLab chargers do not require programming. They detect the cell count - all you have to do is plug in the battery at the "power end" and plug in the balance leads. The charging is automatic. Plus, they now have an attachment that will let you charge up to a 8S battery . . . and it is simple to daisy chain to charge multiple batteries.

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Pro ... 2/SPA-XH_2

or this:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Pro ... PA-XH-BW_2

For the smaller receiver batteries (up to 4S), I plug this into the power (cig lighter) in my car:

http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/Pro ... Multi4_253

Bobby, I have NEVER lost a battery while using this charger.

Rick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:58 am 

Glad you like your setup. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:45 pm 

Regarding the 130X - I have both the Lynx and the Quantum motors. I would recommend the Lynx. Power is about the same but the Lynx comes with the connector ready to go, it includes a mount reinforcement plate, and I get longer flight times (using same battery).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:11 pm 

jv8 wrote:
Regarding the 130X - I have both the Lynx and the Quantum motors. I would recommend the Lynx. Power is about the same but the Lynx comes with the connector ready to go, it includes a mount reinforcement plate, and I get longer flight times (using same battery).

I'm glad to hear that since I have been recommending the Lynx as well. How does the reinforcement plate work? Do you just glue it in place? Mine may need that.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:00 pm 

So Scott said something that got me to thinking. Talking about the Fusuno and Canomod canopies that you could see the pixels. That means they are printed! So I started wondering, people vinyl wrap cars and motorcycles, why can't we do that to a canopy. I bet that is what those two companies are doing and then spraying the automotive clear coat over the vinyl. Anyway, I've been doing some digging and found a company that sells vinyl wraps for rc cars. http://www.rcidcustom.com/upgraderc/category/RCD04.html

I'm still looking for someone who does canopies.

Oh, and tell Scott that I'd consider him fairly competitive with Canomod. $50 for a canopy and then $50 to ship it. Already at $100 right there!

Jonathan

"Beem me up Skoty, t' ain't no intelgent life down her"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:15 pm 

Good show guys, listening to Scott brought back memories of lacquer days and painting motorcycles. I think it was easier then. As far as RC cars go, I have a blast with my 1/10 FPV buggy, If you ever get a chance to make or try one don't hesitate. (good practice for fpv flight)

And Chris just to confirm Bobby's theory, I will be spending my Mondays lunch hour at Pep-boys looking for plastic dip paint.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:19 pm 

[quote="rickn816"]Chargers

You know, the PowerLab chargers do not require programming. They detect the cell count - all you have to do is plug in the battery at the "power end" and plug in the balance leads. The charging is automatic. Plus, they now have an attachment that will let you charge up to a 8S battery . . . and it is simple to daisy chain to charge multiple batteries.

I use a PL8 as well. It took a while for me to figure out that I didn't have to do anything but keep hitting the enter button. I was using a Thunder Power Charger before that where I had to set everything. The PL8 seems like cheating. The only thing I do not like about the PL8 especially now that I'm trying to build a better charger case, is that it has a really weird shape with the heat sink on the bottom and fans in the back.

I'm sure the 308 Duo won't be any better in terms of building a case either, but that won't stop me from buying it unfortunately...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:13 pm 

The one feature that I don't think the iCharger Duo's have that the Powerlabs do (if you get the inexpensive PC connection cable) is to be able to make custom "fuel" charts for each of your batteries.

You set Powerlab charger to do a slow discharge & recharge twice (overnight) of your battery. This makes a custom discharge/recharge dataset for that battery. You then import this fuel dataset into a charger preset on the Powerlab.

I then set the screen that shows the percentage "fuel" remaining as the initial screen when I start a rechaging cycle.

Why is this useful? Instead of knowing that you used 80% of the battery by looking at mAh replaced into the battery (at the end of the charging cycle). I know I used 80% of the battery at the start of the charging cycle by the Powerlab comparing the battery state against it's dataset; and can adjust my flying time that is just about to start.

This all sounds nerdy, but really with the excellent manual that comes with the Powerlab (PDF), it is easy and "hit the enter button a bunch of times" simple when set up.

The Powerlab 6 or 8 are a great option if you don't need the second channel of the iCharger Duo for a lot less money. Keep checking Revo USA's (US Distributor) bargain tab for a great deal. That is where I got mine.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:27 pm 

Bobby Barr wrote:
jv8 wrote:

I'm glad to hear that since I have been recommending the Lynx as well. How does the reinforcement plate work? Do you just glue it in place? Mine may need that.

I've never glued them but I guess you could. It's just a plate that fits snugly below the plastic. It will spread the clamping load and resist the screws pulling through the plastic holes. It is also sized to fit exactly so any twisting force would be resisted as well.

I think Helidirect sells a separate one.