It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 121: Weekend Update
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:13 pm 

Bobby,
I just got caught up on listening and was wondering if you ever found out the store that gave Kevin the problems?
Tim

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:34 pm 

Hey Tim

Welcome to the forums, good to see you around.

Surprisingly it was GetFPV.com who gave Kevin the run around

I have always had good experience with them. However i have never tried to return anything

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:17 pm 

Is the V3 governor much better than the V1/V2 governor?

I wonder when HW will be coming out with updated HV ESCs. I don't have any complaints about the ones I've used though.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:18 am 

TheBum wrote:

I wonder when HW will be coming out with updated HV ESCs. I don't have any complaints about the ones I've used though.

Not sure how long it will take to update the HV ESCs.
Here is a link to a guy in RC Groups that has been testing the governor in the V3 to other ESCs. Personally I only use the external governor mode which is ridiculously perfect with the iKon. Check out his graphs versus the Kontronik.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2112916

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:09 pm 

Bobby Barr wrote:
TheBum wrote:

Not sure how long it will take to update the HV ESCs.
Here is a link to a guy in RC Groups that has been testing the governor in the V3 to other ESCs. Personally I only use the external governor mode which is ridiculously perfect with the iKon. Check out his graphs versus the Kontronik.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2112916

I can vouch for the following from that thread, after setting up my Stingray:
Quote:
In the old Platinum Pro , a few percentage points had a great impact on the number of RPM.

My TC values for 5800 RPM and 6000 RPM are one percent apart. The 3000 RPM idle value isn't much lower.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 7:28 pm 

Well guys my JPC Mini Protos color scheme #5 arrived today. Beautiful work Chris! I know the paint isn't yours, but if you didn't provide such a great canvas this thing wouldn't be so nice. I gotta have more! #02 will be for shelf display only, and #04 will be for days at the field when I can see it. Still waiting for the 500 size canopies.

Now onto some Bobby praising. The hobbywing Platinum 40a you recommended is a fantastic fit for the Mini Protos! Not as cool looking as the new series, but I'll have some castle 100's and talon 90's on sale soon to replace with the 100a Hobbywing. I think my Goblin 500 would would really like that ESC.

Finally onto James praise. M'eh, miss you brother!

Can't wait to hear the next show to see what else to spend some money on!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:56 pm 

Borneoben wrote:
I just finished listening to the show and i have a question for Rod and Carter.

I've said it before and ill say it again its great to see a father and son team both enjoying the hobby so much
You guys have tried quite a few helicopters over the last couple years and i was very curious who drives your buying decisions?
I can see that the Building and setting up of the helis is Rods hobby and Carters is flying and occasionally destroying them.

Is it a case of Carter asking dad for a new heli or Rod suggesting Carter tries something different?
Does Rod make Carter "pay" for a new heli (good grades, yard work, chores etc) or is the new heli purchase a mutually beneficial purchase that both get equal enjoyment out of it?

Rod do you push carter at all to practice and try new maneuvers or do you leave it all up to Carter?
Do you give him a hard time when he dumb thumbs it and causes a ton of damage?
I have been lucky enough to meet you guys on a couple occasions and you are both so laid back, I'm just very curious who is the biggest driving force in your shared hobby?

Cheers

Ben

Sorry Ben! I just noticed your question today. Only a couple of months late. Here's how I think it works. Carter asks for many new helicopters. I listen and try to make sense of why he wants what he is aking for. If it makes sense to me then we might take it further. Sometimes I ask Bobby about it. If it makes sense and we both agree on a heli (rare) then we might order it. I think that Carter is less concerned about having the coolest helis than he used to be. Now he wants something that flies well and is reliable. He definitively prefers the 700 size helis now. We have tried making helicopters contingent on grades and such but generally have found that Carter doesn't respond well to that. I enjoy the hobby as well so I suffer as much as he does when he loses RC priveges. He is becoming more motivated but school is still not a priority for him. I had a daughter who was a fairly good gymnast. After ten years and a ton of money she grew to be too tall for gymnastics. By that time she was sick of it anyway. I think we learned a lot from that experience.

I do not push him to do anything. I probably would if it worked but it doesn't. He doesn't fly very much. In Austin Saturday morning is the prime heli time. Getting him up in time to get there in the morning is usually an issue. He does sim a fair amount but that kind of comes and goes. He does not really practice on the sim. He mainly just plays around. It does seem to work for him though. He is always getting better. I do suggest specific maneuvers but he generally ignores those. I like funnels and he doesn't. I would mention it every now and then. He didn't do them for a long time but I noticed that lately he has been working them into his flights. If I tried to push any specific maneuvers he would likely never do them. I try to suggest general styles of flying but without much luck.

I don't know what Carter's goals in the hobby are. He talks about competing but he will have to fly a lot more than he does right now. I am going to have to learn a lot more as well. Our biggest issue is tuning flight control systems. Carter doesn't give much useful feedback and I don't fly at a level that requires much tuning. I am getting to the point where we are having fewer stupid mechanical issues. That being said I just found out that the tail wander that our E700 has had since day one was a failing part that I hadn't noticed. In the future I will know what that is. Silly that it took me that long to figure it out. That is just me learning more about how to build. I just retired last week so I will have more time and energy to devote to the hobby. We also just bought a motorhome so should be attending more events. We went to the RCHN fun fly near Spokane, WA last week and will be going to IRCHA and Maybe OHB.

There have been a few little sponsorship offers and one that was great. However Carter didn't really like the helicopters. We will likely only consider sponsorships for products we would be using anyway. Hobbywing is a good example of that. I would love a good airframe sponsor but I don't think we know enough to predict who might be solid on a long-term basis. So we will keep flying the helicopters that we both like. I generally consider things like batteries and servos to be tools that I would just as soon never notice. I don't like buying those types of things. You really only notice them if they fail. Those are the sponsorships I'd like to have. Blades would be nice too but there isn't one brand that makes all sizes that Carter likes so that will have to wait.

Carter almost never dumb thumbs a helicopter. He had a crash in Alvarado a couple of months ago that was his fault. The wind was pretty bad and the helicopter didn't come up as fast as normal and dug the fin into the ground. His last crash that was his fault was two years ago with his Blade 450X. He needs to start flying lower and I understand that there will be more crashes. We may get a second TT E700 so that a crash doesn't ruin an event. We have had a couple of gear failures but supposedly that issue has been resolved and we both like the heli a lot.

I don't know who is the driving force in the hobby for us. I have dabbled in helis for a while and definitely was the reason that Carter started flying. I never had the intent that he would be a great pilot. He was afraid of helis for a long time. I remember the first time he flew his Blade 450 we thought it was the scariest thing ever. Then I converted it to flybarless. Then we got a 450X. I think that was the best thing we ever did. He learned how to do a lot of the things he does now on that heli. I still have it and will start flying it soon. It will do most any maneuver and is dead reliable and parts are cheap and easy to replace. I will never be much of a pilot. I am mostly bling in one eye and the other isn't great. I have double vision which my brain mostly filters out unless I am really tired or nervous. When I am flying helis I am nervous. I hope to fly the 450X enough so that the double vision goes away. If not I will continue to fly vicariously through Carter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:05 pm 

Great write up rod. It really looks like some good info for people to help with their kids.

Helis: 7HV, Trex 550, Warp 360, Trex/Clone 450Pro , Nano CPX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:16 pm 

Hi Rod

Thank you for a very detailed and honest answer, i appreciate that allot.
Its a very interesting dynamic when both father and son can share a great hobby, what ever you guys do don't forget to have fun!!

Ill look forward to seeing you guys again at another event, soon i hope.

Ben