It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RC Today Show 143: Fun Fun Fun
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:21 pm 

In this episode: Chris and Bobby are joined by Alex, who tells us what the HeliFreak Fun Fly was like out in California. Bobby and Chris report on the Oktoberfest event. Tune in!

http://wp.me/p2wnPS-x1

Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 143: Fun Fun Fun
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:57 am 

"I don't count micros!"...LOLs..."Oh c'mon, your hangar aren't that obscene..."...LOLS! :rolling

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:31 am 

Some of us have to lie to ourselves and pretend the habit is under control. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:38 am 

LOL, I hear you there Alex!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:01 am 

Great show guys. Alex's 570 crash was fantastic. That thing got owned.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:05 am 

Alex...awesome story teller...It was awesome to hear how things rolled back in Cali...

Question of the show...question of the HOBBY...question of aviation in general:

"How are we going to get the young guys in?"

Great show. Thanks y'all!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:18 am 

scrtsqrl wrote:
Alex...awesome story teller...It was awesome to hear how things rolled back in Cali...

Question of the show...question of the HOBBY...question of aviation in general:

Great show. Thanks y'all!

"Alex...awesome story teller" - Ya know, that comment just made my day. :D

I look at Europe as an example. Something is working there. The pilots are beginning to dominate the US. We have no competition circuit. XFC for Heli's is pretty much a failure now. In Europe they have a very healthy network of clubs and community. At least in my area in NorCal, clubs don't exist for heli's in the way they do for fixed wing. Getting youth coming to the field when they are young and participating isn't happening. When it does, phenomenons like Jacob Gitin happen, who I got to see go from first hover to Helimasters.

I think it comes down to a grass roots community thing. We need to build active family oriented clubs that foster the youth, and bring our hobby in front of the community. I know some areas in the US have this. But in CA, it's sad. Most of us just fly in vacant fields, and sort of create our own adhoc community.

Alex

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:11 pm 

In my experience, getting the youth into the hobby is not a problem. Keeping them in the hobby is.

In the past, I saw lots and lots of 11-18 year olds try the hobby with their parents, solo after a summer of screwing around with a glow high winger, then go and try a different hobby. There was no upgrade path and no passion outside of the initial challenge.

Now with 3D planes (which offers a clear upgrade path from foamies to small balsa electric to midsize to gas), as well as 3D helis (which also offers a clear path from quad to 450 and up), as well as a really cool goal and challenge to aspire to (flying well), we are seeing more and more kids get involved and do well. On the other side of things, stuff like the Flite Test plans and swappables are bringing scratch building (and by extension design and tinkering) and flying to more and more people for less money than ever.

I see a similar problem with competition as well though. There aren't very many airplane freestyle competitions either. Sure, you can compete in pattern or IMAC, but that's not always attractive to everybody. A true 3D or freestyle competition doesn't exist outside of the XFC, King 50, and a few others that have popped up.

The reason for this is that these pattern/IMAC and even F3C competitions (and now that I think about it, glider, pylon, CL stunt, all long time competitions) are ground-up/grassroots. XFC and all other freestyle competitions are top-down. Meaning, the competitors organize F3C, pattern, and IMAC competitions, and the freestyle competitions have dedicated organizers that do not participate. So it's much more difficult to grow and have a lot of competitions.

So, if we want to see more competitions, we should take the same approach that the other successful competitions have taken, and write some rules, create a SIG with the AMA, and organize a competition ourselves.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:31 pm 

What was the name of the 3D quad Alex is going to buy? Are there any others besides the Leap and the Blade 200?
My experience with the Invertix has been less than stellar. The Blade quad is too small for me.

Thanks,
Doug B.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:37 pm 

DougB wrote:
What was the name of the 3D quad Alex is going to buy? Are there any others besides the Leap and the Blade 200?
My experience with the Invertix has been less than stellar. The Blade quad is too small for me.

Thanks,
Doug B.

Hi Doug,
It's the AerialFreaks Hyper. http://aerialfreaks.com/product_info.ph ... fed691e7ec
Supports 3s or 4s. $325. Pre-orders now. Although it seems like the pre-orders might be sold out?

I don't know much about it, and don't know if it addresses your concerns or not. :-) But I want to try one after watching Kyle and Jesse fly them all weekend. I just want to do the stall twisty maneuvers with it. :-P

Alex