It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RC Today Show 147: Texas Flood
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:00 pm 

In this episode: Chris, Bobby, and Ben are joined by "Handsome" Rob McClanahan to discuss the goings on at the 2014 RCTS Fun Fly, aka the "Texas Flood". Tune in!

http://wp.me/p2wnPS-xF

Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 147: Texas Flood
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:30 am 

To add to my woes, my DT520's VBar was acting up Sunday morning. The first time I powered it up, it seemed to initialize OK, but I discovered during preflight that rudder was dead. Subsequent attempts at initialization resulted in the dreaded trampoline of death (swash jumping up and down multiple times). Fortunately, a couple of days of drying out appears to have remedied the issue, at least on the bench; I haven't flown it yet.

Did anybody get any video or photos of me singing karaoke? I'm not sure my wife believes I did it, and I hadn't even had any alcohol. The raffle ticket inducement was enough.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:47 pm 

Was thinking about Bobby's crash, my sincerest condolences BTW, nothing worse than a crash on your first day with a new model, let alone the first flight. But I'm sure this is something you guys thought of looking into, but I was wondering what orientation the transmitter antenna was in? I know Bobby likes to plow the fields with the antennae with how he holds it, and depending on what radio and how the antenna was positioned, it could have been a factor.

A friend of mine lost a pattern plane a few weeks or months ago due to something like that. He has a Futaba 18MZ and some recommend to orient the antenna parallel to the runway, off to the side, figuring this is the best spread of the signal. But this was his second loss in the same position, at the same field. One plane flew away, and I believe one went straight down.

It wasn't until the second time it happened that another friend noticed the coincidence and also that with the antenna pointed to the right, the plane at the left end of the box, the plane was getting the signal from the BOTTOM of the antenna. Combine that with our friend's unintentional habit of turning away from the plane when it is at the ends of the aerobatic box... That led to the likely solution that the antenna was just in the wrong position... Best signal is from the sides, the worst is the top when you point it right at it... except EVEN worse would be from the bottom, but I don't think that many people even thought that would happen, so why mention it.

If Bobby held Rob's radio in the normal position, and it had a positionable antenna in the wrong direction for Bobby's stance... that might explain the model holding a hard over. Not sure it would explain anything else, unless it was just going in and out of lockout.

Just a theory.

Tom M

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:16 am 

Tom,

I'm glad you bring this up sir! I have seen so many people, my dad being the biggest culprit, pay absolutely no attention to both the transmitter and receiver antennae position. This is critical to reduce the chances of signal loss to the receiver. I don't think most people realize that the signal coming off the dipole antennae is shaped like a doughnut. The worst thing you could do is to have the transmitter and receiver antennae pointed at each other and any given time.

Attachment:
dipolepattern3.jpg
dipolepattern3.jpg [ 22.77 KiB | Viewed 3331 times ]

To answer your question sir. The antennae was pointed to the right, parallel with the runway. The reason I don't think this was an issue was because the crash occurred directly out in front of us. So the antennae was in the "best" possible orientation for signal strength, 90 degrees to the aircraft. Also on the receiver side, I was running the JR powersafe with 4 remote antennas. And each of those remote antennas was oriented in a different plane (not airplane, but plane in space, no not a space place). I do all this to attempt to mitigate the possibility of losing signal. Having said all that... RF is basically black magic and to say there is a 0% chance that the plane loss signal would be impossible. There is always a chance of signal lose.

Tom, thank you for bringing this up. Is this day of 2.4, frequency hoping radios. I think people forget the basics and just slap their radios in expecting them to always work. Now if I could only get my dad to listen.

Rob

64" Extreme Flight MXS

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:04 am 

exfokkerflyer wrote:
Was thinking about Bobby's crash, my sincerest condolences BTW, nothing worse than a crash on your first day with a new model, let alone the first flight. But I'm sure this is something you guys thought of looking into, but I was wondering what orientation the transmitter antenna was in? I know Bobby likes to plow the fields with the antennae with how he holds it, and depending on what radio and how the antenna was positioned, it could have been a factor.

A friend of mine lost a pattern plane a few weeks or months ago due to something like that. He has a Futaba 18MZ and some recommend to orient the antenna parallel to the runway, off to the side, figuring this is the best spread of the signal. But this was his second loss in the same position, at the same field. One plane flew away, and I believe one went straight down.

It wasn't until the second time it happened that another friend noticed the coincidence and also that with the antenna pointed to the right, the plane at the left end of the box, the plane was getting the signal from the BOTTOM of the antenna. Combine that with our friend's unintentional habit of turning away from the plane when it is at the ends of the aerobatic box... That led to the likely solution that the antenna was just in the wrong position... Best signal is from the sides, the worst is the top when you point it right at it... except EVEN worse would be from the bottom, but I don't think that many people even thought that would happen, so why mention it.

If Bobby held Rob's radio in the normal position, and it had a positionable antenna in the wrong direction for Bobby's stance... that might explain the model holding a hard over. Not sure it would explain anything else, unless it was just going in and out of lockout.

Just a theory.

Tom M

I've noticed with big airplanes that get very far away (IMAC), I had a few lockouts in certain areas of the field with my antenna laid over sideways. Pointing it straight up fixed it.

I really wish all transmitters were like the DX18, 10J, etc. with the dual antennas built into the transmitter that didn't move around (which means they can wear out eventually) and had diversity transmission to eliminate this stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:37 pm 

Quote:
I really wish all transmitters were like the DX18, 10J, etc. with the dual antennas built into the transmitter that didn't move around (which means they can wear out eventually) and had diversity transmission to eliminate this stuff.

I agree Cody, I think this would prevent a lot of crashes blamed on lock outs, for the wrong reason... It's really operator error rather than failed electronics.

I usually have my antenna pointed at a 45 degree angle towards the ground straight ahead, this is the angle recommended by JR. BUT... just looking at my digital copy of the manual, I see that they also recommend for "gliders only" to orient it parallel to runway and level with transmitter... For vertical flying, like always right above your head this makes sense, but this could lead to problems like my friend had if used in the wrong application. I have started to orient mine straight up. That is, when I actually GET to fly, which is not often... LOL :rolling

Back to the original subject... Rob, I agree if the crash happened right in front this is not likely an issue. For some reason as I listened to the podcast I imagined it out to the sides of the runway and that's what triggered the idea.

Tom M

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:30 pm 

Listened to the Podcast and the small connector discussion. I have been wanting something to replace the polarized micro Deans I've been using for years. I just don't want something too large. I've been looking for a picture of the EC2 and/or XT30 next to the micro Deans for a size comparison but haven't found one yet. I suspect they are too big. Any thoughts? I'm thinking I may need to wait for XT10/15 or EC1s.

One question... how hard is it to get the EC2 housing off for reuse? I've had to cut this type of connector housing off some batteries when I couldn't pull/push them off.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:40 pm 

I think the XT30 is going to be small enough. I'll order some when they hit the US warehouse.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:01 pm 

Nice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:59 am 

Listening to the connector discussion reminded me of my 2 powerpole melting incidences this season with my 550X. I did not have a antispark, which would have probably prevented these, but I agree with Chris that they are getting warm running 100+amps continuously. I am going to try the castle 6.5 connectors as my 5000s and 6000s are also going to be used in a goblin 700 and a future 7500 watt airplane.