It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RC Today Show 149: Second to Last
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:32 pm 

In this episode: Chris and Bobby are almost back in the swing of things, just in time for the year to end. Chris got a Blade 180 CFX, and Bobby has two left wings. Tune in!

http://wp.me/p2wnPS-xV

Post subject: Bobby's phone
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:31 am 

I know it's too late, but his best option would've been to pay full price for the phone. That way he could've kept his plan (I did this with my Mom). Yes, it hurts to pay $500 for the phone, but if you end up paying an extra $20 a month over two years, you'd be about even, and then saving money after that. In my case, we bought a used Droid at swappa.com for cheap and moved her account onto it. It may be something to consider for future cases.

I left AT&T for T-Mobile for the $30 unlimited data and 100-minute talk plan. I'd like to say that T-Mobile has been great to me, but...with their coverage in the middle states, they have to be nice. I'm on the coast, so T-Mobile is as good as Verizon.

Bobby is getting the FPV Nano? Ugh....the jealousy! That quad is the ultimate warehouse office troller, and I want it!

- Jim

Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 149: Second to Last
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:34 am 

The last time we got a phone upgrade with AT&T, we switched to a Family Share Plan (no contract) and got our phones on the AT&T Next plan. I think Verizon has something comparable. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I've had nothing but good experiences with AT&T. From what I've seen on the Web, Verizon customer service is spiraling downward in general.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:34 am 

Chris - why did you buy the Spektrum camera instead of building the DIY 5.8GHz from Flite Test? It looks convenient but it appears the transmit power is less and the video resolution is less. The Spektrum thing supports "digital pan and tilt" which means by default it's probably cropping from the middle of the frame and scaling up that clip. The video doesn't look great but this is my first FPV and I've been watching HDTV for years.

Don't get me wrong - I'm having a blast with it on my nanoQX FPV. But now I'm looking for something to put on my 200QX or my simplecopter. I was hoping to get better video resolution and transmit range. Would the Flite Test DIY setup do this? Or is the another recommended setup? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 4:36 pm 

jv8 wrote:
Chris - why did you buy the Spektrum camera instead of building the DIY 5.8GHz from Flite Test?
For one simple reason: Time (or lack thereof). I needed something I could just take out of the box and fly.

I have no doubt the Flite Test version would have superior range.