It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 152: Freeze Fly
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:26 am 

Apparently it isn't working yet. National news last night, close encounters at 4000 ft over airports. :face

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:30 am 

Sad to say, until there is something put out by the FAA that can be enforced this is going to happen more and more. (It will happen even after the FAA, but at least there will be some teeth to enforcement.) About the only thing we can hope is that what the FAA does come out with accommodates the hobbyist.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:31 am 

I agree with you shadow at least these limits should be set to ON as default, i have no idea if they are or not.

They should make it difficult to turn off in some way. I wish they could make you sign a legally binding document to take full responsibility for the drone after you have turn all the safety protocols off. That way if it did cause any serious damage or worse crash a passenger plane the pilot or who ever signed for that particular craft could be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I know its not going to happen but i wish there was some way to make these idiots take responsibility for there actions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:47 am 

tpalshadow wrote:
Don't blame the "DRONE", blame the operators.

How's that working for acceptance of gun rights? Unfortunately, the mindset nowadays seems to be to treat people like children, i.e. if they can't play nicely with their toys, take their toys away.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:53 am 

TheBum wrote:
How's that working for acceptance of gun rights? Unfortunately, the mindset nowadays seems to be to treat people like children, i.e. if they can't play nicely with their toys, take their toys away.

It's working pretty well. Here in Iowa gun rights are expanding year by year. If the AMA was anywhere near as powerful as the NRA this would all be a non-issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:55 am 

Borneoben wrote:
They should make it difficult to turn off in some way. I wish they could make you sign a legally binding document to take full responsibility for the drone after you have turn all the safety protocols off. That way if it did cause any serious damage or worse crash a passenger plane the pilot or who ever signed for that particular craft could be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I know its not going to happen but i wish there was some way to make these idiots take responsibility for there actions.

Are you going to start making your customers sign a legally binding document? I don't understand, should every flying R/C product sold come with this requirement or just the most popular ones?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:07 am 

Let's just stomp on every DJI product we see, and solve the issue. ;) :lol:

Joking. I'm joking. Don't hate me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:13 am 

Haha, sorry, I'll stop being so argumentative...I just really feel that blaming one brand or product is a cop out and not going to solve anything.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:27 am 

Agreed. It's definitely not DJI's fault, it could have happened to any brand that went "mainstream". And in fact, by description, some of the ones recently involved in these incidents do not appear to be Phantoms.

I just like to poke fun at them. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:34 am 

Well there is a huge grey area of course...
I only sell wooden frames, its up to the end user to add the stuff to make it fly. Of course that is a complete cop out on my part and leads to a whole rats nest of scenarios......

One potential solution would be that we all, ALL, should be required to take some sort of written exam on the safe operating of our RC models.
It doesn't have to be massively in depth it could be a 50 question multiple choice type thing, something along the lines of the current written portion of the US driving test or even like the current HAM license that you are required to take before legally transmitting on certain frequencies.

I know this is controversial but its a simple way to make sure that EVERYONE who owns and operates an RC aircraft or any sort knows the safety aspects of how to operate, where and more importantly where not to fly.

This could be something that is managed and run by the AMA, I'm sure they would have to charge for the test something like $25 bucks to cover admin costs etc etc.
I would be happy to take such a test to be given a license to fly RC.

I realize that at the moment we don't know what the law is so would not be able to define such a written test until the government, FAA pull their finger out and get some reasonable laws put in place.

None of this si ideal at any stretch of the imagination, its unfortunate that we live in a society that lacks common sense..

I like to believe, want to believe, that the people who do take out their shiny new drone and fly over an airport because it would look cool really don't know the safety aspect and potential danger of their actions. I like to believe, Want to believe, that these people of better educated to the dangers of their actions would not have done so.

unfortunately our hobby is becoming a victim of its own success and the technology that has spawned from it.

We as a hobby community have such little weight in Washington, we are such a small tiny percentage of the population that we will be the ones who will have to fall in line with the masses.

When you take into consideration that the AMA has approx 175k members maybe there is another 175K rc hobbyists who are not AMA members we would be lucky if there was half a million RC pilots on the USA. I read somewhere recently that last year there was on average 200,000 drones sold EVERY MONTH.....
So the vast majority of these people are NOT RC hobbyists, and even a small percentage of these people who lack the common sense to realize that flying over an airport is not such a great idea is still a large number of people probably greater than the number of AMA members.

So when you look at it from the governments point of view what are you going to do?

The biggest enemy to us right now is the Media who make everything sound 10 times worse than it is.

I don't pretend to know what the answer is, we could debate this for a month, we just have to wait and see what the FAA decide to do and work around the laws they choose for us.

Anyway that's just my 2 pence worth....

:popcorn :popcorn