It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 154: From Tiny to Humongous
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:37 pm 

4n6Days wrote:
OnTheSnap wrote:

Yeah, seems to get better at 50m. Oh well. We'll give you a refund. :p

I misread your comment as 'sorry for the quality of the background noise.'

Then when I saw what you really said, I realized that I just sounded like a big jerk...

I was just trying to make a joke. Totally not meant as a complaint. Sorry. :-/

No it's just sarcasm which on forums has a 99% backfire rate. Sorry if it came across that way. :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:41 pm 

Lol, I thought you said I was being a jerk and just read it again. You said the opposite. We should give up communicating. Hah!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:10 pm 

It is true about the 99% backfire rate... Oh man.... Haha

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:21 pm 

I'll settle this. You're both jerks. ;) :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:10 am 

Hey Chris, I agree 100% with you on the stupidity of Amazon pushing "drone" delivery, but there are good people who are also trying further the technology for more humanitarian causes.
Matternet is one such company. http://matternet.us/our-vision/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:52 pm 

Yep, now that would be something to explore for sure. Kudos to them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 am 

Hey Chris - you mentioned the hobbyking composite DLG is not great. Care to elaborate? Is it still a step up from the Libelle foamy?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:16 am 

Just catching up on podcast on walk to work, I laughed at Alex complaining Spektrum don't cater for heli's, they don't seem to be interested in multi-rotors either, I'm still shocked they don't have a proper multirotor model type, I bought a DX6 last august for the great voice features, and in a lot of ways its a brilliant radio. Then found you have to use airplane type and there is a cludge under wing type to have a quad icon, but other than that you have no features for flight mode combinations across switches or anything multirotor specific, I think Bobby found you cannot use it for the Stingray as channel mapping doesn't work on cyclic mix, so they could have done that as well in the multirotor model type ! I ended up using heli model type, and pitch for flight mode, so I have flat pitch curved for 3 flight modes and use throttle hold switch for a 4th (failsafe on RTH NAZA which works fine, but is a bodge that shouldn't be needed).

DX6 has two 'independent' timers, which I want to use for fpv racing (and DLG flights so I can track receiver pack time constantly, and just time each flight to see if I can manage 30 seconds), you can start/stop one timer on the throttle output (for flight time) and the other on bind button (start/stop/start/stop) which is perfect, except you cannot reset one of the timers without clearing both, so I can only time one lap per flight, or use a kitchen timer for flight timer;)

I've contacted one of the developers and they basically won't add this feature, I can't tell if they just can't see this is useful, or only fly motor gliders so they don't care !

I liked the look of the multiplex radio's, so was hoping that might be an option, if you could program the flight controller from the tx screen, that would be very elegant, but understand their flight controller is a long way off, also the glare/screen issue puts me off.

So I'm reluctantly moving to Taranis for all my quads, so will keep the DX8 for heli's planes for now, but suspect once I have the hang of taranis programming (which is intimidating), I will just gut a DX4e for the DSMX module and get model match etc! Having telemetry built into every receiver, fully flexible timers etc do look great, so hopefully I won't take too long to get to grips with it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:26 am 

To add to that multi rotors really want a tiny rx with serial out. Yet there is no such rx from spektrum that does this. Rumors on Helifreak about one in the works. But they won't publish their proprietary srxl serial specification. Dumb.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:46 am 

OnTheSnap wrote:
To add to that multi rotors really want a tiny rx with serial out. Yet there is no such rx from spektrum that does this. Rumors on Helifreak about one in the works. But they won't publish their proprietary srxl serial specification. Dumb.

Yep. Using discrete channel cables just makes the flight controller that much more susceptible to vibrations. When you're dealing with mini quads, the rats nest also makes mounting everything a challenge.

I think Spektrum is the only current radio equipment maker that doesn't offer a receiver with some sort of single line output, other than the satellite protocol, which is an undocumented digital protocol with no error detection/correction (also dumb). They're too wrapped up in their vertical product integration to bother with it.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next