It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 154: From Tiny to Humongous
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:24 am 

So you don't think Amazon is serious about it? :thinking If they aren't, then I'm a total sucker because I thought they were. And I still think it's a stupid idea! :lol:

And I've seen that "drone waiter" thing before, and in fact did think it was more stupid than Amazon package deliveries. :rotf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:32 am 

Yeah, just because you think the drone waiter idea is stupid doesn't mean it isn't happening...it is.

The sad part is that there is such a social class gap in a place like Singapore, they literally can't find enough people to work as servers. They are basically importing people to try and find enough people to be waiters.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:32 pm 

tpalshadow wrote:
Yeah, just because you think the drone waiter idea is stupid doesn't mean it isn't happening...it is.

I give it 5 minutes before someone's hair gets caught in a prop and it all turns nasty ;)

How the hell do you tune the gains for a pint of bitter vs a tray of peanuts for starters, and anyone getting up to use the restroom is going to have to run the gauntlet to get there.

These are all blatantly fake stories to get free publicity - clearly I'm the odd one out here, as its working ;)

Last edited by jamesb72 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:45 pm 

I agree James. I tried to say something similar but failed to put it as clearly as you did. I'm sure though, Amazon is looking into this at some level. But the goal of successful deployment of the system is not nearly as important as the publicity.

We are on a RC model podcast website discussing Amazon's future delivery methods and technology.... I'd say they've been pretty successful already. ;)

Tom M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:09 pm 

exfokkerflyer wrote:
We are on a RC model podcast website discussing Amazon's future delivery methods and technology....
No we're not, we're saying it's stupid! :tongue

I was talking about this at dinner, and really the only "delivery method" I see that makes any sense at all is using them for delivering medicines and such to remote areas without existing infrastructure.

Anything else is just the modern equivalent of how we were all told in the 50's we'd have flying cars and jetpacks soon. I want my jetpack, dammit! :rolling

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:12 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
No we're not, we're saying it's stupid! :tongue

Any publicity is good publicity, and the only drone delivery I ever see in the news is Amazon, everyone who says its stupid then has to keep saying it, so they get a lot more publicity from that then the ones who think its a great idea and leave it at that ;)

And I've just gone and given them another kerrching ;(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:45 pm 

I guess I'm just a hard core futurist. All these "problems" seem solvable to my brain. And are not insurmountable issues.

Anyway, back to flying my unicorn. (-:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:43 pm 

jv8 wrote:
BTW, I just set up the Graupner mz12 transmitter for the Brain last night... works great! This transmitter is only $120 if you discount for the included telemetry receiver. What a value - it does everything I need for Brain helis.
You know, I just wanted to comment here. This is actually quite interesting, and probably something we all overlook. With the flight control systems doing so much of the heavy lifting, the transmitter really is taking a back seat (technology-wise) so as long as it has good sticks and switches, we really don't need a super-expensive transmitter anymore. To quote Sgt Schultz, "Velly intellestink!" :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:42 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
jv8 wrote:
BTW, I just set up the Graupner mz12 transmitter for the Brain last night... works great! This transmitter is only $120 if you discount for the included telemetry receiver. What a value - it does everything I need for Brain helis.
You know, I just wanted to comment here. This is actually quite interesting, and probably something we all overlook. With the flight control systems doing so much of the heavy lifting, the transmitter really is taking a back seat (technology-wise) so as long as it has good sticks and switches, we really don't need a super-expensive transmitter anymore. To quote Sgt Schultz, "Velly intellestink!" :)

It's not just the flight control... this inexpensive transmitter provides the same "terminal" access as the mz24 for RX and ESC configuration and telemetry. So you can have alarms/voice/gauge for pack V, mAH, max A, RX signal, RX and ESC temps, BEC V, headspeed/RPM. The RX provides generic mixers so I think you can expand the 6 transmitter channels to more in the RX (it comes with an 8 chan RX). You can adjust all RX and ESC settings from the TX (BEC voltage, ESC timing, etc). All of this is built-in to Graupner RX and ESCs - no external sensors or modules.

Switches are the main limitation I see. I have Brain "banks" on a 3-position but my gov head speed and D/R switches are only 2 position. The other limitation is no built in speaker (voice goes out earphone jack). I'm sure I can hack an audio amp but not sure about the switches. I'm okay with only 2 head speeds and D/R.

Anyway wasn't expecting that much for $120 (I just wanted a wireless trainer for my son) but in some ways I like it better than my mz24. It's easier to see in the sun for one. It doesn't feel as nice - I miss the rubber grips. That could also be hacked with plasti-dip I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:15 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
jv8 wrote:

Um, that's an Arte Johnson quote from Laugh-In. ;) (Boy, am I old for knowing that, one year older than I was yesterday.)

Anyway, does the Brain support Graupner text mode for programming? Graupner does license the telemetry protocol.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next