It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 154: From Tiny to Humongous
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:05 am 

TheBum wrote:
JustPlaneChris wrote:
jv8 wrote:
BTW, I just set up the Graupner mz12 transmitter for the Brain last night... works great! This transmitter is only $120 if you discount for the included telemetry receiver. What a value - it does everything I need for Brain helis.
You know, I just wanted to comment here. This is actually quite interesting, and probably something we all overlook. With the flight control systems doing so much of the heavy lifting, the transmitter really is taking a back seat (technology-wise) so as long as it has good sticks and switches, we really don't need a super-expensive transmitter anymore. To quote Sgt Schultz, "Velly intellestink!" :)

Um, that's an Arte Johnson quote from Laugh-In. ;) (Boy, am I old for knowing that, one year older than I was yesterday.)

Anyway, does the Brain support Graupner text mode for programming? Graupner does license the telemetry protocol.

Graupner is not at all interested in working with anyone else. They think they can make a great FBL system themselves. It's easy, right? Hahaha!! They are very much a closed shop. Jeti is leading the way and actually "get it". It's a key advantage to be the first guy to make the system usable by anyone willing to integrate.

I tried Bobby's G500 on a Graupner FBL system. :face But maybe they've figured something out since then. But given how far off they were, really really doubt it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:43 am 

TheBum wrote:
Um, that's an Arte Johnson quote from Laugh-In. ;) (Boy, am I old for knowing that, one year older than I was yesterday.)
Oh duh, you're right! Sgt Schultz would have said "I know nuh-think!" :face

Happy Birthday a day late. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:01 am 

OnTheSnap wrote:
Graupner is not at all interested in working with anyone else. They think they can make a great FBL system themselves. It's easy, right? Hahaha!! They are very much a closed shop. Jeti is leading the way and actually "get it". It's a key advantage to be the first guy to make the system usable by anyone willing to integrate.

I tried Bobby's G500 on a Graupner FBL system. :face But maybe they've figured something out since then. But given how far off they were, really really doubt it.

That is unfortunate... it would be nice if Graupner licensed the Brain like Spektrum did with the BeastX.

Let's explore Jeti since they "get it"... it's nice to see their radio coming down from $1500 to "$800+options". But just the fact we're comparing features with a $150 radio (incl RX) is kind of shocking. How about ESCs... looking around it appears only their Mezon ESC line has telemetry? Or am I wrong? If that's true you can only get telemetry in larger $200-$350 ESCs. Where is the ESC telemetry solution for park flyers and micros? Does Jeti support config & telemetry for other ESC brands like Graupner?

I use telemetry a lot more than I tune... and the Brain android app is convenient enough for tuning.

Alex, would MSH open up a Brain config/telemetry specification so OpenTX developers could pick up support? Imagine if the Brain and CastleLink were supported by Taranis.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:24 am 

OnTheSnap wrote:
I guess I'm just a hard core futurist. All these "problems" seem solvable to my brain. And are not insurmountable issues.

Yeah, apparently there are a lot of naysayers in the hobby...is this RCG? haha j/k

I think money talks; and when a company spends over $4 billion with a B each year on shipping, they are going to seriously pursue any avenue they can to cut costs. If you read their exemption request to the FAA it is obvious they know what they are doing. They know the current regulations and they are actively pursuing this as a solution.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:33 am 

They should spend some of that money developing teleportation technology. I think that has a better chance of succeeding! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:26 am 

OnTheSnap wrote:
TheBum wrote:
Anyway, does the Brain support Graupner text mode for programming? Graupner does license the telemetry protocol.

That wasn't what I was driving at. According to at least one representative for Graupner, they're very interested in third party solutions for telemetry sensors, so they will provide the telemetry protocol spec. Or, you could just look at any open source code where people have implemented it. Part of that protocol is text mode, which is what ESCs and sensors use to implement the interactive configuration menus. The FBL units would just need to support that protocol. Granted it would be a little kludgy: they'd have to impersonate a sensor type.

In fact, I'm resurrecting and improving some old HoTT telemetry code for the MultiWii flight controller platform right now.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

Last edited by TheBum on Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:28 am 

jv8 wrote:
OnTheSnap wrote:

That is unfortunate... it would be nice if Graupner licensed the Brain like Spektrum did with the BeastX.

Let's explore Jeti since they "get it"... it's nice to see their radio coming down from $1500 to "$800+options". But just the fact we're comparing features with a $150 radio (incl RX) is kind of shocking. How about ESCs... looking around it appears only their Mezon ESC line has telemetry? Or am I wrong? If that's true you can only get telemetry in larger $200-$350 ESCs. Where is the ESC telemetry solution for park flyers and micros? Does Jeti support config & telemetry for other ESC brands like Graupner?

I use telemetry a lot more than I tune... and the Brain android app is convenient enough for tuning.

Alex, would MSH open up a Brain config/telemetry specification so OpenTX developers could pick up support? Imagine if the Brain and CastleLink were supported by Taranis.

Jeti started its life going after the high end market, and not trying to compete with Spektrum or the beloved Tairanis. As much as you guys like the Tairanis, I would never ever use that flimsy tech on a 700 15 feet in in front of me banging on the deck. For a 250 quad doing fpv, sure.

We see Jeti on a path now to a $400 set. I think this is where they need to be. And I think within 12 months they will get there.

When I say they "get it" I mean that they see the huge advantage of third party integration. And not being closed off.

Open integration is an option. But in the absence of any standard, it's hard for small companies to lead the way here. At this point there needs to be an optional answer to vcontrol. And Jeti is the shortest path to that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:29 am 

TheBum wrote:
OnTheSnap wrote:
TheBum wrote:

That wasn't what I was driving at. According to at least one representative for Graupner, they're very interested in third party solutions for telemetry sensors, so they will provide the telemetry protocol spec. Or, you could just look at any open source code where people have implemented it. Part of that protocol is text mode, which is what ESCs and sensors use to implement the interactive configuration menus. The FBL units would just need to support that protocol.

We tried talking to them and then moved on. They really did not want to support it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:46 am 

OnTheSnap wrote:
As much as you guys like the Tairanis, I would never ever use that flimsy tech on a 700 15 feet in in front of me banging on the deck. For a 250 quad doing fpv, sure.
Flimsy tech? Their protocol is well-proven (Taranis isn't their first rodeo), and is more robust than Spektrum. You are buying into the "if it's more expensive it must be better" mentality. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:48 am 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
OnTheSnap wrote:
As much as you guys like the Tairanis, I would never ever use that flimsy tech on a 700 15 feet in in front of me banging on the deck. For a 250 quad doing fpv, sure.
Flimsy tech? Their protocol is well-proven (Taranis isn't their first rodeo), and is more robust than Spektrum. You are buying into the "if it's more expensive it must be better" mentality. :)

Nothing wrong with the link. The box is junk imo. I think spektrum isn't much better. :tongue

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next