It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 154: From Tiny to Humongous
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:54 am 

OnTheSnap wrote:
Jeti started its life going after the high end market, and not trying to compete with Spektrum or the beloved Tairanis. As much as you guys like the Tairanis, I would never ever use that flimsy tech on a 700 15 feet in in front of me banging on the deck. For a 250 quad doing fpv, sure.

I have never (and will never) bang a 700 on the deck 15ft away so we are coming from different market segments for sure. But I have used a Spektrum to fly a 630 far away and I'm not sure the Spektrum was any more reliable than my current Graupner solution. Especially since Spektrum didn't provide signal strength or other telemetry.

OnTheSnap wrote:
We see Jeti on a path now to a $400 set. I think this is where they need to be. And I think within 12 months they will get there.

When I say they "get it" I mean that they see the huge advantage of third party integration. And not being closed off.

Open integration is an option. But in the absence of any standard, it's hard for small companies to lead the way here. At this point there needs to be an optional answer to vcontrol. And Jeti is the
shortest path to that.

That is good to hear! If Jeti offers a $400 set that supports Brain config and if they add telemetry to their lower end ESCs I would switch over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:02 am 

TheBum wrote:
That wasn't what I was driving at. According to at least one representative for Graupner, they're very interested in third party solutions for telemetry sensors, so they will provide the telemetry protocol spec. Or, you could just look at any open source code where people have implemented it. Part of that protocol is text mode, which is what ESCs and sensors use to implement the interactive configuration menus. The FBL units would just need to support that protocol. Granted it would be a little kludgy: they'd have to impersonate a sensor type.

In fact, I'm resurrecting and improving some old HoTT telemetry code for the MultiWii flight controller platform right now.

Wait, so you are impersonating a HoTT sensor with the MW controller? And supporting the text mode UI?

So technically the Brain or other FBL could just implement a HoTT text mode UI for config without any help or software support from Graupner?

At that point it just becomes a legal / licensing issue. Interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:09 am 

OnTheSnap wrote:
Nothing wrong with the link. The box is junk imo. I think spektrum isn't much better. :tongue
Oh, ok I can kinda see that. Not sure I would call it "junk", but the transmitter hardware is "DX8-ish" at best. :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:11 am 

OnTheSnap wrote:
Nothing wrong with the link. The box is junk imo. I think spektrum isn't much better. :tongue

Nice TX cases are like luxury cars to me. Give me the performance engine & handling and you can keep your rich Corinthian leather and 27 speakers.

Bring on the $400 Jeti!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:51 am 

You feel the solidity of the transmitter and the smoothness and ergonomics of the gimbals every time you fly something.

It's not just speakers, it's the suspension system, feel of the shift lever integrating with the transmission, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:55 am 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
OnTheSnap wrote:
Oh, ok I can kinda see that. Not sure I would call it "junk", but the transmitter hardware is "DX8-ish" at best. :?

I know what it takes to make something dirt cheap. It isn't pretty. The BOM cost is driven down by using the cheapest components. The system is assembled using the crappiest CM. Quality control is hard enough with a premium CM. So yea, I spend money for premium products "hoping" someone is awake and making good decisions on qualifying component vendors thoroughly.

So I have no interest in products approaching rock bottom margins. There is no free lunch. And I'm buying something that allows me to control a 20,0000W one of a kind monster inches off the deck. Springing an extra $600 on a hopefully better box is not such a bad decision. If they are idiots and built a shitty box, well I'm screwed. It's the nature of the hobby. You just hedge your bets the best you can.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:09 am 

jv8 wrote:
Wait, so you are impersonating a HoTT sensor with the MW controller? And supporting the text mode UI?

So technically the Brain or other FBL could just implement a HoTT text mode UI for config without any help or software support from Graupner?

At that point it just becomes a legal / licensing issue. Interesting.

Not just one sensor, but up to three at the same time: EAM, Vario, and GPS. The text mode UI for adjusting PIDs is tied to the EAM "module".

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:10 am 

OnTheSnap wrote:
I know what it takes to make something dirt cheap. It isn't pretty. The BOM cost is driven down by using the cheapest components. The system is assembled using the crappiest CM. Quality control is hard enough with a premium CM. So yea, I spend money for premium products "hoping" someone is awake and making good decisions on qualifying component vendors thoroughly.

So I have no interest in products approaching rock bottom margins. There is no free lunch. And I'm buying something that allows me to control a 20,0000W one of a kind monster inches off the deck. Springing an extra $600 on a hopefully better box is not such a bad decision. If they are idiots and built a shitty box, well I'm screwed. It's the nature of the hobby. You just hedge your bets the best you can.

I'm wondering what sorts of sacrifices Jeti will make on a $400 radio. It would have to be something other than a cheaper case.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:23 am 

TheBum wrote:
I'm wondering what sorts of sacrifices Jeti will make on a $400 radio. It would have to be something other than a cheaper case.

I was wondering the same thing. If we end right back at Taranis / Spektrum quality then there's no incentive to swap brands. Again.

I get what you are saying, Alex, and I have developed an appreciation for nice things recently. I thought I was buying into that quality with an Acura. Turns out, not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:55 am 

If they don't at least maintain the Hall effect gimbals, then convincing me to change over from my MZ-24 would be a much more difficult proposition.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next