It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: RC Today Show 154: From Tiny to Humongous
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:04 pm 

Agreed. Better gimbals is really the only thing I want in the Taranis. I thought the switches were pretty poor, but then I sprayed Deoxit into them and they feel 100% better! And to be honest, the sticks feel pretty good (quad bearings) but the centering could be better. Overall ergonomics are OK (it is a JR 9303 case, after all) but that's subjective. My self-molded case will fit my hands perfectly. :)

Meanwhile, I will continue watching other radios and will very likely try something different at some point. You know how I am. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:06 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
TheBum wrote:
I'm wondering what sorts of sacrifices Jeti will make on a $400 radio. It would have to be something other than a cheaper case.

I was wondering the same thing. If we end right back at Taranis / Spektrum quality then there's no incentive to swap brands. Again.

The incentive is better ESC telemetry support and FBL config using the transmitter. My DX8 case has been working fine for years... I don't need it to be milled from a block of aluminum. My issues with Spektrum have been electronic/firmware. But as Alex pointed out I don't fly a 20KW 880mm heli.

JustPlaneChris wrote:
I get what you are saying, Alex, and I have developed an appreciation for nice things recently. I thought I was buying into that quality with an Acura. Turns out, not so much.

Great example. An Acura is not a "more reliable Honda built with better components". It's a Honda with a lot of extra stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:17 pm 

TheBum wrote:
jv8 wrote:
Wait, so you are impersonating a HoTT sensor with the MW controller? And supporting the text mode UI?

So technically the Brain or other FBL could just implement a HoTT text mode UI for config without any help or software support from Graupner?

At that point it just becomes a legal / licensing issue. Interesting.

Not just one sensor, but up to three at the same time: EAM, Vario, and GPS. The text mode UI for adjusting PIDs is tied to the EAM "module".

That is really cool.

A new show topic??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:46 pm 

I can't take credit for most of the code: I picked up someone else's two-version-old work. However, my modifications should make the code play more nicely with MWC, assuming they work of course. Graupner telemetry is pretty timing-sensitive because a single line is used for transmit and receive.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:58 pm 

Well there has been a lot said.
I am very intrigued in the integration of radio's and flybarless control units. If you have not experienced how well the Vbar control unit works with setting up models, making changes, telemetry and the over all feel than you need to if the opportunity ever presents itself.
As far as the Jeti radio, at face value it is one of the finest radios I have ever held in my hands. The over all feel of the radio is simply in impressive. I am very interested in seeing how the system works with the Brain. And I will find out when that is available. Stay tuned.

kenny

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:14 am 

Well guys, I am completely converted to Jeti.

When I started in the hobby, my first semi "real" transmitter was a DX6i. We used it for bind n fly blade stuff and simming on Phoenix. When we started getting into larger helicopters I did my research and chose futaba as our main radio. We started off with an 8fg and then moved to the 14sg which has served us well.

Because of having the shop I have the opportunity to be exposed to a lot of different transmitters. Our dx6i is long gone and was replaced by a dx8 in order to have a spektrum transmitter to help customers with. I have played with several other brands including hitec, jr, and most recently Graupner.

I came very close to making the switch to Graupner and have flown several models with it. It has many of the same telemetry features that Jeti has and is a very good "bang for the buck". However, the feel of the radio, flexibility, ease of programming, signal strength, future integration with multiple fbl units, etc. of the Jeti just made too much sense.

I keep hearing many people are not considering it because of price. Well, the DS14 is $795 and I have about $100 more in options I have added on, so I have about a $900 investment in my radio system. Receivers are very reasonable, and the quality of the transmitter and feel of the gimbals is flawless.

I just felt that with the amount of money that i have invested in Helis, planes, and multirotors, an investment of that type in the one interface with all my models that I use every time I fly was worth the difference. So is the ds14 worth twice the money of the mz24? For me - yes. Does everyone have the disposable income to invest that in a radio? Of course not. But if you have a couple of 700 size Helis, a giant scale plane and some smaller ones, a couple of multirotors, etc - then to me it makes sense to consider the investment.

I'm very much looking forward to the integration of the brain software into the Jeti. That will be the last piece of the puzzle to make it the perfect system for me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:53 pm 

Hey Alex - Jeti is open to supporting multiple FBL units... are they open to supporting config/telemetry on multiple brands of ESCs? Or does the fact they sell ESCs lock down that side of things?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:50 am 

Well, I'm not Alex, but Jeti is capable of accepting the telemetry output of any esc that provided telemetry by using a Jlog. Some of the esc's with this option are castle, kontronik, Hobbywing, Graupner, and I think yge will include the option pretty soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:19 am 

Sorry... asked Alex because he seems to have the "inside track" on which manufacturers are open to multiple standards :-)

Anyway, are you saying use a JLog converter module? I guess I'm asking if Jeti would be open to integrating JLog-like functionality into the TX. Also does the JLog support configuration? I thought it was data logging only. Besides being an additional module, it's a big cost adder to the low-end park flyer telemetry ESCs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:55 am 

To be clear, all the work to integrate brain is being done by MSH. Jeti isn't doing it. So for any other integration effort, it would require effort by individual mfg's afaik.

As far as getting telemetry working, as Shannon mentioned Jlog is a third party solution that facilitates this. But it's just one way. Meaning you get data but can't configure anything from the TX.

So I didn't answer your question really, since I don't know if they would be supportive if castle knocked on the door and wanted to get their hands dirty and make it happen. So far castles stance is to implement their live link protocol, and hope others implement support. But live link doesn't export mah used. Jlog has to calculate it. So implementations with simple telemetry can't even get the "killer" app out of it. Jlog is a full uController and can hack around it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next