It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 9:46 am 

Good to see you getting back at it!

Post subject: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:35 pm 

Thanks. It’s been a while since I’ve done anything serious. About a month back I took my QQ Yak with a good friend out to a private airstrip to fly. He’s got an arrangement there and brought me out to get me introduced so I could go out there on my own from time to time. Unfortunately, the principles were not there that day, but we did fly. It’s a private duster strip with plenty of clear space around it. Perfect for big stuff, or jets.

It’s about an hour forty from my house, but it’s private and perfect. The owners run an ag operation there and really just love aviation of any type. I hope that it works out because it’s really great.

Anyway, family vacation this week, no time for hobbies for a bit. But it’s close. Very close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:11 pm 

The Dragon has taken its first breath.

I took a couple pics to show the rats nest of wires and tubing and how it sits now. It will get slightly more cleaned up, but not a lot.

I may change out the all in one valve, the UP3. It works fine, but with air retracts it’s common to put oil in the system, it really just atomizes, to lube seals ant fittings keeping the system “air tight”. Well, with THIS valve, doing that will damage the seals in the valve as most oils are in compatible. In fact, if you’ve ever had oil in the system, hooking up the valve after the fact may actually still damage it. Great. So I may buy two electric valves and swap it out. Still thinking on it. Will wait till next pay day.

But, I did hook up the engine, ecu, telemetry, etc. Set up the ECU to learn the endpoints... fueled it up and...

https://youtu.be/qrnxXCAaqvk

Ran fine. Ran up to full power three times, very good push... Everything seems good. Have to tidy up a few more things. But I’m thinking I could do a taxi test next weekend.

T

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:23 am 

Forgot to add this. Viewed from the hole in the belly is the brake system. No air under pressures regulated by some valve here. Instead, a high torque servo actuates an oversized plunger with REALLY small tubing connected to the brake drums themselves. Very simple, very clean.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:22 am 

Nice! It's always fun when a project finally comes together. :cool:

I really need to get back to that glider project....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:56 pm 

Yeah you do!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:07 pm 

Friends set up an excursion to the drag strip/jet flying field a few weeks back. I intended on having the Bandit ready by today but did not make it. I got home from my trip yesterday st about 5 pm and had enough time to get it ready, but it would have been rushed and there are a couple of things I need to spend some time and make sure it’s right. So instead of rushing it, I just took the F-16 out.

It hadn’t flown since November, but it started up great and I was able to get five flights in today. We had swirling winds and it did fine but it’s pretty obvious that this thing is a challenge without a wind down the runway. Without flaps the pitch angle is really high and you end up managing the descent with power. Might modify with flaperons... thinking about it.

Some pics of my F-16 taken by my friend Jim, and the other pics were taken by me if my friends’ planes.

ImageImage

My friends’ planes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:40 am 

Where are the ailerons on the F16?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:06 am 

My F-16 does not have ailerons or flaps, it uses tailerons. In flight it’s fine, very responsive. But without flaps takeoffs are tough to get smooth and landings are challenging. You end up on final with a high angle of attack and use power to control rate of descent. It’s works, I’m getting better at it, but it results in a faster approach speed unless you nail it. Without headwinds yesterday it was good that we had a half mile long runway.

The real F-16 has ailerons and flaps that also work as flaperons. Most models (perhaps all) just use the flaperons as the actual aileron is quite small and the wing is pretty thin there and tough to get a servo in the right spot.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 am 

Wow, those look fantastic! Or should I say "jettastic"? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next