It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: What do you want on your plane "Brain"?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:56 am 

Okay guys. Since we have Thomas on here I thought this is the perfect opportunity to get our wish list together for our dream airplane stabilization system. So take the time to list your requests here so when I get Thomas on the show we can see how difficult they would be to implement. #1 on my list is something that the Brain/iKon does already.

#1) Bank/Setup modes
#2) Rate and Heading hold available for each independent axis in each setup mode
#3) Ability to control multiple aileron servos with a single aileron input wire

Post subject: Re: What do you want on your plane "Brain"?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:37 am 

I think a way to adjust the roll rate whether its on/off or something similar is a must.

What I mean is, if flybarless controllers can adjust the rate of roll of the heli to some degree to maintain the same rate, this could be problem for certain maneuvers. When learning rolling harriers for example, the pilot has to learn the rhythm and a part of this is learning to compensate for the wind blowing and affecting the model. So it could be advantageous when learning advanced maneuvers to be able to have the flybarless controller automatically adjust the rate of roll thereby causing the airframe to roll at a constant rate. After the pilot learns the rhythm, they could then progress by having less amount of roll rate control and gradually learn to compensate for wind.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:14 am 

ben_beyer wrote:
I think a way to adjust the roll rate whether its on/off or something similar is a must.

What I mean is, if flybarless controllers can adjust the rate of roll of the heli to some degree to maintain the same rate, this could be problem for certain maneuvers. When learning rolling harriers for example, the pilot has to learn the rhythm and a part of this is learning to compensate for the wind blowing and affecting the model. So it could be advantageous when learning advanced maneuvers to be able to have the flybarless controller automatically adjust the rate of roll thereby causing the airframe to roll at a constant rate. After the pilot learns the rhythm, they could then progress by having less amount of roll rate control and gradually learn to compensate for wind.

That makes good sense. So the ability in each of the modes and axis to have a slider that adjusts the level of stabilization.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:09 pm 

Bailout/selflevel mode like the SAFE reciever has in the new apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:03 pm 

Some way to automatically adjust gain based on airspeed. If not, then a very flexible TX controlled gain (gain plus heading hold/rate selection individually controlled by TX for all 3 axis).

Aileron mixing: single aileron input channel plus flaps input channel drives dual aileron servos with flapperon/spoileron support.

Elevon and V-tail mixing support.

Price match Eagle Tree Guardian at $75 (ha - just kidding)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:47 am 

Regarding the feature to gradually reduce compensation to train for wind correction... I bet this can already be done with gain tuning. Turn down the normal gains (especially heading lock) and turn up the feed forward gain (which is direct stick-to-servo outside normal control loop). Thomas will have to comment.

My question is why? We don't train for wind correction in helis anymore. FBL is just accepted. I bet eventually it will be like that in planks.

I guess one reason is to save money so you don't have to buy a Brain for each plane...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:06 am 

My largest complaint right now is that one gain setting on a plane doesn't work while flying fast and flying slow. I can understand that somewhat, but at the same time I would think that can be programmed out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:25 am 

There is a system that adjusts the stability gain and even changed the control rates as the plane speeds up. It's used by the DS guys with the Aurora 9. Check out the link and the video posted in the thread.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1655260

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:27 am 

It's a shame the unit can't get feedback from the control surfaces, because that's the easiest way to tell how fast you're going in most planes I've flown (real planes). The faster you go, the stiffer the controls are. It's almost like built in gain change, because you naturally don't move the controls as much (because there's more resistance). Does that make any sense? :thinking

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:07 am 

Hmmm... Wouldn't servo amp draw give some indication of control surface resistance? Maybe the gain could be scaled based on that data...