It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: ExtremeFlight 60" Laser
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:31 am 

So this is definitely my favorite electric plane at the moment. Uses cheap 6S 3300 packs, convenient to get to the field and into the air, and it flies better than many airplanes that are much larger. I will be flying it all winter and throw some skis on it when the white stuff flies.

Set-up:

Stock power combo from EF: Torque 4016T-500 MKII, Airboss 80
Xoar 15x8 Prop
6S 3300, Pulse and Sky LiPo have been working well for me
RJX FS-0391 servos on 6.5V from BEC Pro (Hitec 7245 also work great and are lighter, cheaper, and less hassle to install and power).

Another video from earlier in the year with better weather:

Edit: why can't I embed videos? :oops:

Last edited by cwojcik on Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: ExtremeFlight 60" Laser
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:43 am 

Love that plane, there's a gent at our club who has one and you're right: It rocks! :thumbup:

Oh, and welcome to the forums! :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:16 am 

Nice, got it. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:33 pm 

Cody,
That is some amazing flying. That plane intrigues me since I already have those batteries for my DT600. What is your setup?
Bobby

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:12 pm 

Hey Bobby,

Thanks for the kind words. I am running the stock EF power combo which is the Torque 4016T-500 and Airboss 80 ESC. I am running the crazy RJX FS0391 servos (designed for the Goblin 500) but Hitec 7245 are a better choice for most people as they are lighter, cheaper, mount with no mods, and don't require a big BEC like the RJX servos do. Build it like the manual says with the recommended components and it will fly awesome.

On a slightly different note, I just got a T Rex 450 with MKS D95 servos, MSH Brain, all really good stuff, and I love it. I've had helis of various sizes in the past but this is the first really nice one that I've had and it's a blast. I kind of want something bigger now and I would love to use my 6S 3300's either individually or in series like this. Is the DT600 a good choice for me or should I stick with something more mainstream?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:19 pm 

You should listen to the last coupe of shows and read bobbys review
http://rctodayshow.com/reviews/dt600-review/

It seem like a great heli all round

If i had the cash right now i would have one... and a stingray......and a 3d printer.......and a DX18........and a .......

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:35 am 

I highly recommend the DT600 since you already have those batteries. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. :thumbup:

I wish Extreme Flight had the blue/yellow/white in stock like you have. How does the Laser compare to the other 2 60" models?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:19 am 

Borneoben wrote:
You should listen to the last coupe of shows and read bobbys review
http://rctodayshow.com/reviews/dt600-review/

It seem like a great heli all round

If i had the cash right now i would have one... and a stingray......and a 3d printer.......and a DX18........and a .......

I have listened to the podcasts but I'm just getting through the review now. Thanks. Ditto on the Stingray and the 3D printer!

Bobby Barr wrote:
I highly recommend the DT600 since you already have those batteries. I'm extremely happy with my purchase. :thumbup:

I wish Extreme Flight had the blue/yellow/white in stock like you have. How does the Laser compare to the other 2 60" models?

Cool, thanks. I'm not ready to get it now but closer to the spring I will grab one unless a really good used deal comes my way like it did with the 450.

Anyway, the 60" Laser is probably my favorite 60" plane although I also still love the MXS. I've owned the Extra, MXS, and flown the Edge a lot. Here's basically a rundown of all four 60" EF planes:

The Edge is the easiest to fly and do 3D with. It's very capable of precision flight and tumbling as well, but it's also extremely gentle and forgiving in 3D, and the easiest of the bunch to fly. It would make a great first balsa plane if you could afford a plane of this size and in fact a friend of mine moved to one of these after his trainer and did great with it.

The Extra is the most well suited to precision flying. It will also tumble well and do 3D well but it's really at home in precision. The long tail moment, highly tapered wing, and rearward placed stab/elevator make it feel very locked in and pitch and yaw. The pitch response is very "firm"...what I mean there is it does exactly what you tell it and does not mush through maneuvers. The elevator feel is more responsive and precise than something like the 3DHS 51" Slick. The roll rate is faster than the Edge. My dad and I put thousands of flights on a 60" Extra and it's finally worn out...after two crashes and ripping the elevator off and fixing it at SEFF last year the stab has finally broken loose. It will be replaced soon.

The MXS is the craziest one. The forward placed stab/elevator make for a very quick pitch response, but it is not touchy or hard to control at all. It does the best pop-tops and flat spins of the bunch and also tumbles extremely well. Even though it's crazy, the 3D performance is somewhere between the Edge and the Extra. It has a faster roll rate the Extra and rolls a bit more consistently. If you install the optional racing wing tips it becomes a bit more stable in roll and the roll rate slows down to equal the Extra. It took me the longest to really get familiar with my MXS but I loved it once I got the CG right....I could fly it just as precisely as the Extra but also roll faster, do harder pop-tops, and tighter waterfalls. It finally met its end in a mid-air with an Apprentice. I am having a difficult time not building another one, maybe I'll build the 78" version when that comes out.

The Laser is a mix of all the other three. It 3D's very similarly to the Edge, tracks in precision like the Extra, and rolls like the MXS. It's probably the most balanced and well-rounded of the bunch, and it flies and presents the biggest due to the large fuselage and wing area. There is really no area where it doesn't excel.

If you are having a tough time deciding which one you want, all four planes fly extremely well and are capable of more than most pilots are, so just grab which one looks the coolest, you can't go wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:28 pm 

I am on my second Edge (15cc gasser conversion) and have the Laser. The laser stands out in my entire fleet as it just does not have any bad habits, and does everything as well as my skill level can handle. Even though I am a pitch authority junky, I am not motivated to get the 64" MXS over the laser.

At the Fort Smith FLI, this is the only plane I had, and after a few days Josh Price asked me if I was interested in doing a noon time demo. Trust me, I am not a 3D master. The plane just makes a pilot look that good.

The 60" Edge is a fine airframe and lent itself to the gasser conversion due to it's internal construction. I would stay away from the Dark Blue/Yellow scheme as it is very hard to see on a overcast day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:40 pm 

There's snow all over the place here, so I stuck skis on the Laser and flew from a frozen lake: