It is currently Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: hybrid EPP/balsa planes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:16 am 

Chris mentioned the wattaplane 48" Edge EPP/balsa hybrid. I owned the 3DHS 48" EPP Extra for a while.

What do you guys think of the hybrid construction planes?

My take was that it was the worst of both worlds. There is enough balsa in there that I didn't feel comfortable dragging the tail around and doing tricks a foot off the ground. However, in the air the plane just felt "soft". I don't know if it was the EPP control surfaces or what but it did not have the "crisp" feel of a balsa. It also felt slow and draggy - was it the EPP skin or the airframe design? I dunno.

I'd much rather fly a really durable EPP (like a Telink) near the ground and a full balsa crunchy everywhere else.

Post subject: Re: hybrid EPP/balsa planes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:11 am 

That's an interesting observation!

I really don't know what to think, because I haven't flown one of them. From what I've read, these newest designs fly very well... however that's always subjective of course.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:27 am 

jv8 wrote:
Chris mentioned the wattaplane 48" Edge EPP/balsa hybrid. I owned the 3DHS 48" EPP Extra for a while.

What do you guys think of the hybrid construction planes?

My take was that it was the worst of both worlds. There is enough balsa in there that I didn't feel comfortable dragging the tail around and doing tricks a foot off the ground. However, in the air the plane just felt "soft". I don't know if it was the EPP control surfaces or what but it did not have the "crisp" feel of a balsa. It also felt slow and draggy - was it the EPP skin or the airframe design? I dunno.

I'd much rather fly a really durable EPP (like a Telink) near the ground and a full balsa crunchy everywhere else.

Personally I agree. In slow dirty 3D they fly a lot like a good balsa wood airplane but they start to wobble around more when you go fast with them.

They are not very durable and I've seen them destroyed in crashes that would be repairable or even survivable with more robust wood airplanes, like falling out of a hover and cartwheeling. The complex internal structure is hard to repair and the skin always look bad after they are glued back together.

However, they are usually pretty cheap, and after you fix it and it looks ugly you don't feel so bad because it was ugly to begin with :oops:

Some people love them though. I think they are intimidated doing low 3D with a nice wood airplane and would rather do it with something a little more cheap and disposable. They definitely build easier than a Telink as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:48 am 

cwojcik wrote:
Some people love them though. I think they are intimidated doing low 3D with a nice wood airplane and would rather do it with something a little more cheap and disposable. They definitely build easier than a Telink as well.

But the hybrids cost more than some good crunchies.

Personally I bought two 3DHS buck hucks at $99 each and put one in the closet so I knew I'd have a spare parts supply. Makes it real comfortable to fly low. In two years I've only pulled the canopy from the spare (battery ejected during a hard tumble). I've repaired it a couple times and it looks a lot better than my hybrid after gluing the EPP skin.

Telinks are a pain to build but you only need one... I've beat on my SU29 time and again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:08 pm 

After spending some time this weekend flying my 42" 3DHS AJ Slick, I have realized that anything I buy or build has some large shoes to fill. That thing is just amazing!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:15 pm 

I used to say the 42" slick was my favorite until I got a 48" ef extra hands down the best plane I have owned, my first one suffered a motor box failure mid hover after over 200 flights and many prop strikes second one is going strong though I have broken the tail hinges once on each surface.

The hybrid planes are a cool idea they will take a beating and epp is easier to glue than covering is to replace and look right. Motor box damage though can require some significant surgery. They fly much more solid than a flat limp noodle foamy but at the same time they don't carry near the ballistic energy that a balsa plane can in pop tops, ke spins, and lomchevaks, ect

I have cleared out anything in the smaller range, if the area isn't big enough I fly the crack yak or crack beaver any area bigger and the 48" extra or laser comes out

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:01 pm 

Sorry i know its juvenile but i cant help but think Beaver Crack every time you mention that plane.

Its such an unfortunate choice of names

Fnar Fnar Titter Titter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:51 am 

Hey! Don't ya think you're being a little hard on the Beaver?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:14 am 

shadow102 wrote:
I used to say the 42" slick was my favorite until I got a 48" ef extra hands down the best plane I have owned, my first one suffered a motor box failure mid hover after over 200 flights and many prop strikes second one is going strong though I have broken the tail hinges once on each surface.

Good to hear about the 48" EF Extra. I have one in the box ready to be built. I want it to replace the 3DHS buck huck as my "always in the car trunk" plane. I'm hoping the EF Extra will have more rudder authority (with the SFGs) and better higher speed stability.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:13 am 

The EF Extra is bigger and much more stable. The little Slick is a pure 3D plane that will also do some precision stuff, but the EF Extra is the most precise plane in its size and is very stable at high speed. Use good servos and batteries and you are in for a treat.