It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Summer Pattern Project
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:43 pm 

And it has finally flown!

Much much much more visable! My eyes are not as good as they once were, but I finally don't feel like I'm going blind while flying this thing. Its also made it obvious that I have some trimming left to do, but that's really never done.

It's a good flying airplane now, well know that I can actually see it.

Very happy with it now.

Charging batteries as I type this, trying to get a few more cycles on the new ones before heading home.

Got the Zippy Compact 5800s. Only about an ounce or so heavier, but I changed the prop to compensate a bit as well.

Thor 4500 45C

Zippy Compact 5800s 25C

APC 21x13.5

Falcon 21.5x13

Prop Beauty Shots

Very happy with combination now, just have to find some time to start getting back into the flow of things again.

Tom M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:06 pm 

Excellent, Tom! I may actually take my Vanquish out and maiden it Saturday. I know, shocker eh?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:30 pm 

Well, season doesn't start in earnest for a few months yet. You have time. At least, that is the excuse I usually use. :)

Interested to hear your thoughts after you get some time on that plane. I've heard good things.

Tom M.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:26 pm 

Attending the Spring One Day Cont at in Sacramento today. First contest in a few years, "rusty" doesn't cover it.

Holding my own in FAI and having a lot of fun visiting with my friends. Hoping to get four rounds in before sun starts getting in our eyes.

Tom M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 7:08 pm 

Nice! Hope you had fun!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 10:51 am 

I did have fun. It was a long day, 0330 wakeup for a 3 hour drive to get there in time to get the plane together and be ready for the judges chair for an 8 am wheels up. The sun moves into the box at around 2:30, so we had to be done by then. And we were thanks to the CD and everybody jumping in and helping out when needed.

Was my first time using the electronic scoring. Pretty awesome actually. The judge has an iPod Touch inserted into a Logitech game controller. There is an earphone that tells the judge the next maneuver. With the game pad you can select the score. Starting from 10, you can subtract one or half a point and it tells you after each adjustment what the total is. When judging, every deviation has a definitive deduction. This system allows the judge to mark off points as the maneuver is flown instead of keeping a running total in his head. Once it's done, a click records the score and the next maneuver is read by the computer. After the flight the scores are sent wirelessly to the computer and the scores are automatically totaled. Slick.

18 contestants with the largest classes being Masters and Sportsman. We had three in FAI and I placed second. I wasn't ready to compete really, only about a dozen flights through the sequence. But as the contest continued I improved a little.

While there are trophies (certificates in this case) in pattern, you really are competing against yourself first. I may not have flown as well as I would have liked, made some mistakes, dumb-thumbs etc. Butt overall I improved and I AM happy with that.

Tom M

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:00 pm 

Awesome! And that scoring system sounds very slick.

Sadly, I didn't get to the first local pattern workshop / event last month. Maybe things will be normal enough next season for me to compete. Meanwhile, I plan to just fly the Vanquish for fun, possibly even with the VBar Control system.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:28 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
possibly even with the VBar Control system.

MY EYES!!! MY EYES!!!

I get it, whatever makes it fun. I'm a purist (okay, snob), it bugs me to see that. But I do get it to a degree.

What is interesting to ponder, will the airplane be fun after you take it off VBar if you decide to try a contest?

T

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:34 pm 

LOL, I said "possibly". I haven't decided. To be honest, the damn thing flies so great I don't see how it could really get better with a gyro. The first thing I'll try the VBar Control radio on is the Kaos. I don't have a 3D plane anymore, or I'd try it on that first.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:56 pm 

The Kaos would be an excellent subject!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next