It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: MD-21 build thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:49 pm 

enough about the B-17’s for a while, I am taking a break from them to rehash an older project.

It’s my 7.5ft MD21, and it’s back on the work bench. I went back and forth for a while on how I was going to power it, and for now I’m thinking a twin pusher prop setup is best.
The plan is to take off with the D21 drone on the back of the Blackbird. I will do as scale of a takeoff as I can, then circle back around and do what I call a vanity pass (low pass with the inside wing tipped in for a good look at the plane for anyone wanting to take pictures). Then I’ll climb out circling back toward the field gaining altitude on the approach. If all is going well this is when I release the drone. I will flip a switch that untether’s the drone and push the stick forward dropping away from it. Once clear My friend Dallas (who will be flying the drone) will ignite a C6 rocket in the ass of the drone and blast across the field leaving a trail of smoke, sound, and fire while I circle high and away in the Blackbird. After he glides in and lands I’ll do the same.

Sounds simple right? Lol

Because I know that I’m going to be doing a lot of testing and maybe crashing with this project, I decided to build a test mule before trying it with the original. This one will be less detailed and have fixed landing gear. I hope by Monday it will be ready for flight so I can do some glide tests with the D21.

Post subject: Re: MD-21 build thread
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:36 pm 

Wow!!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:39 pm 

Ok, your my bluecore hero LOL

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:20 am 

ha ha, Thanks Tonka. I'm to cheep for Balsa, and to ADD for fiberglass! I like to build a lot of planes, and don't plan on keeping them forever. When I loose a model, it just means I get to build another. I build them big because heck! why not? Blue foam is what makes this hobby fun for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:25 am 

by the way I mounted the servos, control horns, FrSky 8channel reciever, ESC's, and got most of the wiring in last night. Still need to mount the battery tray, mount the landing gear, mount the cargo release gear, and cover the air frame. Then all thats left is to paint it. Though I will more than likely fly it first, then paint it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:18 am 

I cannot wait for the footage, and we all expect it to go exactly like you've scripted out...

:)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:38 am 

Well Gear is mounted, battery mounted, and it's time to button the last few things up, and cover the plane. Looks like it's going to come in a little under 6lbs. Hope it's not to heavy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:53 pm 

Busy weekend, I met half my goal!
I had intended on getting a blackbird up in the air and maybe launching the D21. Well, the Sr didn’t get done in time, BUT the D-21 did. So I grabbed a B-17 stripped the FPV gear off of it and mounted a piggyback cradle on it.
As the video shows it was a pretty sketchy takeoff, and the pair felt quite heavy. But once I released the D-21 It went near flawlessly! My friend Dallas manned the rocket plane well and showed that it had plenty of kick climbing vertical without a problem. We were not impressed with the duration of the rocket, so next flight will be with a D size instead of a C.
Next flight will also be with the SR as the mother ship, I hope to be ready by Sunday or Monday. Expect more video then!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:16 pm 

Very nice. :thumbup:

What is it about pyrotechnics that makes grown men giggle like school girls? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:09 pm 

The best comment was about using a bigger motor next time!

Not saying you did it wrong. I've lost rockets when I was younger because I could have just put an A motor in but I went for the C...