It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm insane (how I ended up with a turbine)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:52 am 

Looks great!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:39 pm 

Nice!

I love the car in the garage with airplanes stack on it BTW :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:09 pm 

Yeah, that car has been overdue for a trip around the block...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:31 pm 

Ben, you shamed me into taking the the car out the other day...

Battery is shot, needs a jump every time but still runs like a champ!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:03 pm 

Haven't done much work lately. Had laser surgery on my eye, a family reunion/camping trip, and life in general getting in the way... I've only been able to head out to garage sparingly. But, I did get something in the mail the other day.

It's a Jets Munt VT80 turbine. Made in Spain by the same company that makes Xicoy products (retracts, valves, turbine ECUs, etc). I corresponded with the owner, Gaspar, over the course of a few weeks. Always responding to emails, no matter how dumb the question and very helpful. I considered buying direct due to the strong dollar, but in the end bought this one used from Canada off RCU. The newer version of this engine has a brushless fuel pump, this one is brushed. But unlike my old JetCat, it has internal fuel solenoids so it's much easier to install. In fact, the ECU is also internal. The only bits you need to mount are the pump, filter, and battery. Should be a clean installation.

A test fit shows I need to build a new mounting area. I have some ideas, might get to work on that later today if the kids give me a break.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:09 am 

Ooooooh, shiny! :D

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:25 am 

Those little turbines still amaze me and make me want to get a sport jet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:51 pm 

Well, since I saw Chris' post, I thought I could update this a little. I have made a lot of progress on the F-16. If I could get a couple of days without family interruptions (not possible), I could have this thing done to the point of taxi tests etc. But, I will probably take me a little more time, but I'm really getting there.

Plane has been painted, cleared, and wet-sanded for the most part. Still have some spots on the fuse to get to, and the wings need to be done. A couple of touch up spots, but nothing huge. Engine needs to be mounted, but the plumbing is done for both the fuel and the retracts/brakes. I had a slow leak in the retracts, chased it down to two things, a gear fail/safe and a gauge. I tested them both before I redid everything and they were okay, but I must have tugged a little hard on the nipple (yes I just said that) or scored something with a blade. Need to solder batteries, Velcro in the receiver and says... a little more set up, and it's ready to run.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:04 am 

Wow thats very nicely done!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:19 pm 

Well, big day the other day... We’ll not THE big day, that will be in ten days or so. On Tuesday I ran the engine for the first time. Actually two short runs and all was well.

On Wednesday, I took it out to do some taxi tests. Aside from taking a turn too fast and scraping a wingtip, all went well. I have other things to touch up anyway.

Beauty shots...

Also was able to get the telemetry mostly set up. The Jeti is very capable, and not difficult, but since I almost never fly, and rarely handle the radio... I feel like I have to continually re-learn things. But I’m able to access the Cortex Pro gyro through the radio and adjust parameters. Which is nice... common for helis now of course, but new to Planes. Also I have a pressure sensor that activates a gear Failsafe using logical switches. Slick. I can pull telemetry from the engine and access the ECU´s data or program it from the radio. One of the other features that I love is the ability to see the capacity used of the receiver...

I do have a slight leak from each of the tanks. I will swap out the stoppers and that should fix that. Hope to fly it on Nov 2, day before the Lodi meet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next