It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: I'm insane (how I ended up with a turbine)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:43 pm 

It is salvageable, but it's not likely cost effective. A guy who used to repair these things for JetCat was at the event and gave me an estimate of $1000-1300. Plus, add in that I never recovered the ECU ($4-500 retail) or the solenoids ($150-200). It just would make more sense to go used rather than repair. Or, a new Kingtech is only a few hundreds dollars more and have a modern engine.

To say I wasn't bummed and depressed would be a lie. But I just had to laugh at me having to climb a fence with my fat, old, tired butt to go in and fight some cows for the pieces and parts. It was just funny. The crash was outside the corral, but the momentum threw some parts in there. No cows were harmed. :)

I ended up doing some dealing while I was there to end up with another plane. I traded my other engine for a plane minus an engine. As with everything, there's a story to that too. It's a solid plane with a known history that just needs a little love. Not sure what I will do engine wise, but for me the shopping and planning is part of the fun.

To add to this, I'm on disability now with an eye issue. So money is tight, the engine will have to wait unless I am loaned one (not likely) but I do have the time to do a little work on the plane while I'm home and driving my wife crazy. So we'll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: I'm insane (how I ended up with a turbine)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:29 am 

Oh, ouch. I hate to see that! :(

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:07 pm 

Well, I thought I would update a little on what I've been up to. After I crashed the Boomerang at the Lodi event, I did some wheeling and dealing and traded the NIB JetCat for a used and slightly abused 1/8 TAMJETS F-16. The internals looked great, just some cosmetic issues.

And this shows a Wren 54 installed, but I didn't want that so he took it out.

There were some scuffed wing tips, missing or damaged decals, scraped belly from gear up landings.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:30 pm 

While I was finalizing the deal and asking questions, a former owner of the plane, Carlos jumped in to answer my questions. This is where it got odd/funny. Turns out, this plane was the first production model from the factory. Tam (of TAMJETS) brought it back from China and built it for a customer. There were a couple minor cosmetic issues with the gel coat so he decided not to sell it to an outside customer, but instead to my friend Jimmy (same guy I got the Boomerang from!), small world! Jimmy then gave it to Carlos after flying the snot out of it in exchange for building a different model for him. Carlos, as it turned out, was a part time builder for Tam and built a number of customers planes over the years. Also, again proving it was a small world, he and I once worked at the same airline in different capacities in the 2000's. Anyway he totally rebuilt the interior including motor mount, bulkheads, pneumatics etc. So while it looked a little rough up close, it was solid inside.

But I decided to do a different scheme. That would require a bit of work.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:37 pm 

I had a couple ideas on schemes. What I wanted to do was an F-16N used by the Navy at their Fighter Weapons School. Specifically this one:

But masking some of the markings for paint would be difficult at best even with a vinyl cutter. I do have one, but it is a pain in the arse to put it mildly, so I changed direction a little bit.

As it happens, Callie Graphics had a graphics package for this plane. Scaled for 1/8, I think the cost was only $28? So I got two sets, knowing I would screw something up along the way. This is what it came with:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:21 pm 

Last time I had some paint mixed for me to shoot out of my HVLP gun it was pretty pricey. Still on disability ("stupid eye" said in a Homer Simpson voice), cost was a concern so I went with a cheap alternative, Rustoleum camo.

I also realized that these planes get painted a lot, I counted at least three different schemes at least, so getting enough pictures to accurately copy a full sized plane would be tough. Also, the paint I picked was not offered in the correct colors, so I had to just go with it. I decided just to be "inspired by" instead of copying it out right.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:23 pm 

Post subject: I'm insane (how I ended up with a turbine)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:28 pm 

And this is where I left off today. The nose will be black, but every place else you see grey, it will be the dark brown

Still have to repair and paint the missile rails, as well as the cover for the rudder servo. After that is done and the brown is on, graphics and weathering/detail will be next. Think I'm going to go with an automotive clear (matte), but that will be in a bit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:56 pm 

Nice Update!

Great project

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:15 am 

Superb job

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next