It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm insane (how I ended up with a turbine)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:10 am 

I agree, that tank is pretty sweet.

Texalium is what really gets my attention though.

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/colored- ... -texalium/

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:15 am 

The last receiver the plane had in it was 72 mHz, if you can believe it, and it was located right in front of the fuel tank. Instead of having to worry about 2.4 reception in and around kevlar (around kerosene), I moved my reciever up front. Going to possibly cause some issues with CG as the batteries should go up there too. Previously they were on the CG and I'm going to be moving them about a foot. Not too worried about it, it'll all work out I'm sure.

This plane really would be a good candidate for JR's Xbus systems. The rudder servos and elevator servos (stab has split elevator) are both connected with a Y-connector. Not my favorite method, and I noticed the elevators don't travel the same to full deflection. That is enough to drive a pattern guy nuts!!! I tried fiddling with the linkages and got it pretty close around center, as that matters most with a jet, but I really would like to be able adjust them independently.

BUT, with that said, while I may have gotten the deal of the century, I am going to have to wait on going XBus. While the actual connectors, boards, and hubs are not expensive... I would be remiss if I didn't take that opportunity to replace the numerous extensions and possibly a few servos... Not in the budget right now.

Tom M

Post subject: I'm insane (how I ended up with a turbine)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:45 am 

I have a jetmunt vt80 in a boomerang sprint. It scares the crap out of me every time I start it :-) I anyways end up with a fire extinguisher pointing at it just in case.

Great to here your story. Boomerang make cracking planes !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:30 am 

exfokkerflyer wrote:
Instead of having to worry about 2.4 reception in and around kevlar (around kerosene), I moved my reciever up front.
Tom, Kevlar is "2.4 friendly", just like fiberglass. Kerosene I don't know about, but I would imagine it would be relatively transparent as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:38 am 

I have one of my 3 spektrum sats on top of the Kevlar tank and range has not been a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:34 am 

That is so cool!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:08 pm 

Ant, with your sats you can spread the antennas around and not rely on the signal having to penetrate the Kevlar and fuel (which I'm sure it probably does just fine). But my JR DMSS receiver has two diversity antennas (similar to Futaba, FrSky, Jeti, etc) and a single Sat used for telemetry. I just didn't want to butt up the receiver to the tank, under all that mess of a wiring set up and hope for no glitches. The DMSS system has been bulletproof, never a problem, but I didn't want to give a chance to give me problems. Especially not when I can move it into the clear.

In the early days of 2.4, my Dad and I ran a series of tests with a brand to remain nameless and found all sorts of problems when it was close to carbon fiber... Though I know now that was relegated to just that system , I usually keep in mind those tests when I install a new radio. It's just a "thing" with me. ;)

Tom M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:55 pm 

Yep, carbon fiber is basically opaque to 2.4 signals. Sailplane guys have to go to great pains to get the antennas clear of carbon. Some sailplanes have Kevlar or fiberglass sections of the fuselage where you can still keep the antenna internal, but most have gone to just poking the whiskers outside.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:32 am 

Got ya Tom. Post a run up video it's one of those real evocative sounds !!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:26 am 

Great thread - I'm glad I don't have a friend like that, I'd be living under a bridge stinking of kerosene ;) Look forward to more updates !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next