It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:43 pm 

Wow, that's packed full!

Post subject: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:13 am 

Yeah, its going to get more full soon. I wasnt going to use a gyro, frankly this plane does not need one and i couldnt figure out how to fit it all in there. I have a pretty good idea how to do it now, I think. Maybe Ill get to it soon.

This last weekend, or chunk of days off, was spent car shopping. I drive about 180-190 miles to and from work (each way) once or twice a week. Late at night, all weather, bad roads, even worse drivers, etc. Been doing this for 11 years, started with a Yaris, moved to wife’s old 03 Accord. Both fantastically reliable cars... but wife wants me in a safer car... Not going to argue with that, any excuse to step up! Wont bore you with the details, but it pretty much killed my four day weekend with not much to show for it. I just hate the whole process, this has been one of the most frustrating experiences ever.

I did get a few minutes out in the garage with the Bandit though. Parts from BVM came in and I was able to get the hubs and wheels installed, gear covers and door re-installed. Just need to mount the brake actuation assembly and that will wrap that up. Also installed new fuel vent port/plug.

Need to secure main fuel tank and mount the ECU. Haven’t quite worked that out totally yet, just need to work on it and it will come to me.

Tom M

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:37 am 

Oh come on, you can't tease us with a new car and then not tell us what you're looking at. :p

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:35 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
Oh come on, you can't tease us with a new car and then not tell us what you're looking at. :p

I can, and I did!

Seriously though... Wife wants me to drive a better car for my insane commute. Safe, comfortable, something I will like so I don’t regret making the payment each month, and most of all SAFE. I used to do the drive in a Yaris, great little car but a tin can if you wreck it, and and couple years ago I took over her 03 Accord. Which is better, but again, crazy drive at crazy hours surrounded by crazy people...

So I’ve have looked at and test-driven a Volvo S60, BMW 328i, Mercedes C300 (both RWD and AWD). and an Infiniti Q50. All certified pre-owned, can’t afford new and putting in around 20k miles a year on just the commute, I don’t want to buy new or lease.

I actually did buy a Mercedes C300 4Matic last Sunday. Awesome driving car, almost as good as the BMW but with better safety features and crash tests. BUT, deal fell apart.

Story I got was that Sirius XM had an update the night before my test drive that bricked the Command system, the AV infotainment system that runs everything. When I drove it the screen was locked but was told they would just have to update the software.

Yeah, two days later I get told they have no idea when it will be fixed and that it’s pretty widespread and there’s no telling where I would fall on that list to get fixed.

I get pushed off that car to get something else. Of course it’s more money, more haggling, more BS. Finally I just basically walk away from all of it.

Yesterday, I had some time to kill before work in LA and I walk over to Carmax... they had the exact car, to the options and color, that I tried to buy. System worked fine.

No idea what they were pulling, but something wasn’t right. Probably wanted to sell that car for more money. End result is, I’m not going to buy a Mercedes this time and if I ever do in the future, I’ll probably never take it to this dealership.

So now, still technically looking but I have a car put on hold. If it looks good, I’ll buy it Monday.

In case something comes up, I don’t want to say which car, but it will be one of those above. I have a couple days yet, still could change my mind.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:08 am 

Wow, I can see why you said it's been a PITA to get a car. What a mess.
That should be a nice commuter. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:35 pm 

Finally ended up with the car. Wished I could say it got less complicated but it didn’t. But it finally got done. Rented car to drive to San Jose because I fully intended on buying a Volvo S60 T5 AWD I found. Well, drive it, didn’t like it and dealer wasn’t real interested in me... so I left. Went a block up the street and found a better Mercedes C300 than I tried to buy before. Drove it, was great, bought it, before I left it developed same problem as one I “bought” before. Head unit just crapped out and locked up.

Dealer send me home with loaner promising it would be fixed the next day. Yeah right, heard that before!

Called next day saying it was ready for pick up at about 10 am.

Picked it up following day and everything was indeed working properly.

Glad that is over. Last dealer/salesman was good, no BS, friendly but not over the top, all business. Like that. The others through this process? Frankly, I’m shocked car salesman don’t starve...

Actually did some RC today. Went to possible new flying site and an undisclosed location. Have a real problem with that around here. Friend found this by pouring through google maps. Private duster strip that has no problem with us flying there with prior arrangement. Runway is 2500x40 or so with grated dirt on both sides. Really the perfect site. Idea was for me to go and introduce myself to the owners and get the OK. They weren’t there, but I got to fly anyway. Hadn’t flown anything since November!

One more day off until I go back to work, will force some work on the Bandit to keep the project moving.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:03 pm 

Nice car, and nice site! Glad it seems to have worked out for you.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:05 pm 

So I recently discovered the F3S precision jet aerobatics stuff and I'm finding it really interesting. I don't have a place to fly a turbine nor the money to run one but it's pretty cool.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:23 pm 

Yeah Ben, that’s pretty interesting to me too. We don’t have any competitions here for that, but I would be interested as well.

Post subject: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:03 pm 

So, yeah, things have slowed down. After the several weeks of off time put into buying a car, and all the honey-dos that I had been neglecting because of that... well things got busy and work on the Bandit slowed almost to a halt.

I would sneak down for a few minutes at a time each week to do small things, but I really wasn’t able to get anything done until last week where I was able to cobble together a few hours and get stuff done. I don’t have any pictures of the work, but I’m about 95% there, and have everything installed except for the mounting of the receivers, I’m still thinking about that and might need to order a couple Mikado antennae mounts, though space is very very tight.

I finally decided to NOT go with a gyro on this plane. Getting a place for the mounting level with respect to the wing was not impossible, but getting tough. Still doable, but I’m going to pass right now. These planes were popular for nearly twenty years because of how they flew, and gyros weren’t around yet. I could always reverse course later.

I need to mount the receivers/antennas and tidy up a few things, but then it’s mostly done. Need to program the engine and do a test run at the house, then maybe a test run at the field with taxi tests... and we will be there.

I have been doing a little flying lately though. I have had an Align 700X on my bench getting slooooooowly built for almost a year. Finally got that flying a couple weeks ago. Minor issues with set up, but the heli flies amazingly. In fact, so good, it makes me wonder what the heck I’m doing flying helis anymore since my skills are so basic at this point. Really needs a guy that can smack it around to appreciate it. My wife got me a Logo 690 that really is more my speed I think, but I need to unload a Gobblin 570 Carbon kit before I start on that.

I was also able to take my son out to the field for the first time just him and me. He’s two, and likes airplanes, but I suspect he REALLY likes cars... which I’m fine with too. Flew the Carbon-Z Cub a bit and he loved that. Now, this plane flies great, but something happened that day that is getting a bit annoying. I have the Mikado Vplane set up in that plane, and for the most part, it is a blast. Very fun, and the ability to do very slow touch and gos, all while keeping the tail off the ground are just about as much fun as I’ve had in this hobby. But, if you get this thing right on the edge, it’s still VERY stable... until the wind shifts or stops, then it’s like it’s falling off a table. Happened a couple of times and while there wasn’t any bad damage, it was annoying and I had to stop in order to do some foam repair. And actually, this experience led to my decision to not put the iGyro in the Bandit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next