It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:34 am 

Thanks, I came across an online deal for a Canon Rebel T6 that I couldn’t pass up a couple months ago. Got the camera with two lenses, bag, printer that does 19x11 prints, 50 sheets of paper for $698. BUT, had a mail in rebate for a $350 AmEx gift card. Takes great pics! Just need to learn how to use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:48 pm 

exfokkerflyer wrote:
My F-16 does not have ailerons or flaps, it uses tailerons. In flight it’s fine, very responsive. But without flaps takeoffs are tough to get smooth and landings are challenging. You end up on final with a high angle of attack and use power to control rate of descent. It’s works, I’m getting better at it, but it results in a faster approach speed unless you nail it. Without headwinds yesterday it was good that we had a half mile long runway.

The real F-16 has ailerons and flaps that also work as flaperons. Most models (perhaps all) just use the flaperons as the actual aileron is quite small and the wing is pretty thin there and tough to get a servo in the right spot.

Interesting...

I was looking at the pics trying to figure out where any of the control surfaces were!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:38 pm 

The Bandit is about done. What’s left? Final CG, final radio set up, final alignment.

I’ve been working on things a little bit each day. Summer has fully set in and we now have temps between 95 and about 104 at the peak of the day.

I was working on setting up the gear sequencer the other day and realized a downside of having telemetry on my model. I can get air pressure readings, voltages, RPM, peak turbine temp... it’s great. But, when the engine is off, the temp reading is ambient temp... saw a reading of 111F the other afternoon. Yikes.

The gear and door valves have been swapped out. The failsafe has been programmed. Works very well, still have to add alerts and slams but so far I’m very pleased. I’ll post a video once I get the alarms set up.

Antenna routing proved to be a head scratcher. My solution is less than elegant but I don’t really. Have a lot of options. Sure it will be fine. Will obviously run tests to confirm all is ok.

T

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:15 am 

111F! Yeah, that's too hot to be playing with toys. :)

Post subject: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:08 am 

Yeah it’s funny, when I first walked into the garage/shop/disaster/hoard/etc it actually felt pretty good. House AC has been cranked down so it’s basically a meat locker (AC wasn’t working until a week ago, overcompensating a bit now admittedly). And then... twenty minutes later, I’m parched, sweating, and slightly loopy. Saw the 111 on the telemetry and thought, “well there is your problem!”

Went out this morning for a bit. Bandit is essentially done except for radio stuff... alarms, rates, etc. I balanced it and it sets tail down slightly at the fwd limit. Move fingers back just a bit and nose drops... it’s in the range. And that’s good because I don’t have any room to shift things. This model is packed! There a couple small things like taping a few panels to back up the screws. But if I wanted to fly today, I could with about an hours messing around. Will swing gear later to test forward tank position for lat time later.

I traded a TRex 700X a couple weeks ago. Great Heli, but it’s was way too capable for somebody like me. Tried to sell it (to pay for a deposit on another airplane to be named later), but somebody offered a trade. Normally I wouldn’t pay much mind to such an offer. Logistics can be a nightmare. But, it was Shannon (Only Fine Helis) offering a Protos Max in a 770&800 config (parts for both). Anyway, that’s fine and set up, may test fly it today.

T

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:44 pm 

Quick video showing the gear operation.

https://youtu.be/AZOndruAfhc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:29 pm 

That is really impressive! I love the sequenced gear doors, and the fail safe (which I assume is triggered at a certain pressure or lack thereof).
I think you'll be impressed with the Protos Max. I really liked mine, but found I didn't fly the big guy as much as it deserved, so ended up trading for a Protos 380 Evo. It seems like a downgrade, but man... that 380 Evo is a sweet machine!

Post subject: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 pm 

Had issues with posting. Seems to be working now.

Thanks Chris. There is a pressure sensor for the Jeti. I use a combination of telemetry controls, logic switches, and a sequencer (tying doors and gear together). Basically if pressure is above 55psi and the switch is thrown the sequence activates and the gear goes up. If either continues becomes false, the gear comes down. Takes some playing with but simple once you get it.

Looking forward to flying the Protos. I have really been tempted by the 380, won’t rule it out, but I have a Goblin 500 already and if I go smaller, I want to go SMALLER, like an Oxy2. I have an early one and love it, but like everything else, I rarely fly it.

Hope to change all that. Made a purchase today. Got a 6x12 trailer off Craigslist. Is wired for 110V Inside and out, lighting inside and out, A/C,torsion suspension, insulation... just a great set up. Basically for the cost of a new bare bones one.

Pics from ad

Pics after I hit it home and my son assumed it was his (not that it’s not... )

I will use it to haul jets and my 100cc Yaks and Extras... but with the bench and lighting I will also use it as my Heli workshop.

Last edited by exfokkerflyer on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:58 am 

Wow, that's a great setup! Portable man cave. :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:38 am 

Yeah it will eventually work out pretty well. Need to figure out how best to secure the Tamjets rack. Have some ideas but need simple... Hoped to be able to carry Bandit fully assembled, but while it’s possible, tearing it down and using the rack makes everything more simple.

Will be done head scratching involved. Need to figure it out soon though as I would like to fly it in the coming weeks. Friend has a T-45 he is finishing the radio set up in and yet another friend is finishing up a Hawker Hunter. Would like to get us all out and Maiden on same day.

T

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next