It is currently Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:06 am 

exfokkerflyer wrote:
Cool stuff. But as expensive models are, they are cheaper than the real thing.
Truer words have never been typed. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:06 am 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
exfokkerflyer wrote:
Cool stuff. But as expensive models are, they are cheaper than the real thing.
Truer words have never been typed. :shock:

Speaking from personal experience?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:52 am 

Notorious B.E.N. wrote:

Yes. Yes I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:42 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
Notorious B.E.N. wrote:

Yes. Yes I am.

We still talk about having a full scale in the family. The last kid (total of three) kind of made that just about out of our reach. Aren’t many five seaters that can haul any weight, so you are looking at six. Cherokee Six family, Cessna 205, 206,210 etc. with the mountains out here I’d rather have a twin. Good news with that is initial investment is fairly cheap. Bad news... it will never get that good again...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:11 pm 

At least twice I've gone on a quest to buy a plane, and always come to my senses before I do it.
I'm sure it'll happen again someday, but for now I'm concentrating on saving enough money to retire! I'm tired of work taking up all my play time.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:50 pm 

Years ago I was working on my private pilots license. Then 9/11 happened and I was busy with school. I thought about taking it back up but then I ask what am I going to do with it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:18 am 

Notorious B.E.N. wrote:
Years ago I was working on my private pilots license. Then 9/11 happened and I was busy with school. I thought about taking it back up but then I ask what am I going to do with it?
And that is a VERY valid question to ask! That's really the main reason why I ended up putting full scale flying / plane ownership on hold (possibly forever). There's really just no good reason to spend that kind of money for the few times a month/year I'd use it. It's way worse than owing a boat. :dontknow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:16 am 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
Notorious B.E.N. wrote:
And that is a VERY valid question to ask! That's really the main reason why I ended up putting full scale flying / plane ownership on hold (possibly forever). There's really just no good reason to spend that kind of money for the few times a month/year I'd use it. It's way worse than owing a boat. :dontknow

Funny you bring that up since when I was younger, I was somewhat interested in RC but way more interested in fishing. It is somewhat the opposite today.

Anyways, I was hell bent that I gotta have a boat as soon as I get out of school. Now I have a kayak and I use it from time to time. Cheaper ownership too but full scale is a different realm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:06 pm 

We were close to buying a C-170 this last year. Friend in San Antonio was selling his and we strongly considered it. I found a hangar, looked into insurance, crunched a ton of numbers... what held us back was that I was just coming off being out of work due to disability and money was tight. Buddy sold it before we were ready. And really, that was fine. Great airplane would have been a lot of fun, but we couldn’t take the whole family and that meant we’d eventually upgrade at some point. Also, maintenance costs are what concern me. GA is pretty dead where I am, not too many repair stations. Too many horror stories of ongoing annuals that never seem to end. One guy I know had his Bonanza in the shop for three months to get an annual. Why? He didn’t complain enough, shop actually told him, “sorry, squeaky wheel gets the oil...”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:41 pm 

Got a bit of work on the Bandit today. BVM still has my hubs, wheels, and brake cylinder. Could have repaired/replaced the hubs and wheels myself, but since I did not build it and it’s such an old model (kit released in 1998) I’m not sure which part numbers to use. Since the cylinder needed to be looked at anyway, just as easy to send everything back and let them look at it.

Engine is in, fuel system is plumbed. Needed to connect to and install the fuel pump.

From the pump the line needed to go to the filter and then the shutoff valve. From there the fuel line is routed into the bypass and to the engine.

ECU connections were also made to the engine.

Next I need to start organizing the radio area. Battery placement will be tough. Will need wheels back and installed to find CG and finalize placement. Had planned on a gyro, I have it, it’s sitting here. But I’m not sure I’ll have the room. So, perhaps not.

T

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next