It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:24 pm 

Got a little bit of time on the Bandit yesterday, will get a little bit more today once I get my son down for a nap! As I said before there are a few issues that I have to deal with on this plane. Like a used helicopter, an airplane this complex really needs to be gone through with a fine tooth comb before you throw it up in the air. Case in point, the tail.

The first issue is perhaps the most annoying, it's something that might have bothered me enough to not buy it in the first place, because it's not really fixable. The horizontal stabs are not true to the wing or vertical stab. Measuring tip to tip, the stabs are true to the wing, but if you view it head on, they are tilted. If you measure from tip to tip, they are off from left to right to the vert. fin. How bad? Enough to notice if you are looking for it. Which I normally do when i buy an airplane, but for some reason because of the "pedigree" of this plane, I did not think to look until I brought it home. Will it affect how it flys? Yes, a little, but not enough to notice for this type of flying. I will have a gyro on it, so it should really eliminate all effects of that. But after years and years building and flying airplanes, specifically pattern airplanes? My OCD is raging! But it should fly fine. Bugs me to no end though!

Also, when this thing was broken down to be shipped to my friend, the stabs were likely trimmed to their appropriate incidence. When my friend assembled it, he put the stabs even with the fairing. Problem is, that's incorrect. There is a thread on RCU right now where a guy is building one and people are telling him if he lines it up this way, it's almost impossible to rotate for takeoff. So, it really needs to be set where the leading edge is is about 1/8" below the fairing. After reading this, I head down to set it this way... and what do you know? The set screw on one side stripped. Crud. Luckily, i had one slightly oversized that I could get in there. So now that is better.

Also, one of stabs had play when wiggled from the tip (same one as above, the right). Turns out there was either some wear or material removed from first bracket holding the stab tube. I wrapped the tube with one layer of tape and this went away. During this process the bushing that goes between the brackets had a screw that sets on the stab tube to hold it in place. Well THAT set screw stripped as well. A new screw and some CA fixed that.

One last issue on the tail. The Vert. stab is held in with a set screw on a shaft, and there is a pin at the leading edge that just sits in a hole. On the RCU thread it was advised to add a screw behind the pin to secure the fin. I was just going to use tape to keep the air out of there, but I'm going to go ahead and add the screw. When that is done, that should wrap up the tail.

Hope to get that done today, as well as a few other tasks. I'm going back to work before the air system stuff gets here. After that I have only three days home between then and our camping trip first week in March. Want to have this thing mostly ready to go before then so it's just minor set up things when I get back. I'm actually have weekends off next month, and would like to get out and do some flying. We've had issues with our field being largely closed to large or fast models because of restrictions in where we can overfly some orchards. The club has reached an arrangement with that land owner that now lets us fly without restriction on Sundays. Will be nice to actually fly at my home field!

Anyway, son is sleeping, time to hit the shop.

T

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 pm 

Got one task completed. Funny how something that should take 20 minutes ends up taking an hour and a half...

This is how it arrived. Fin off, it’s only attachment is a screw tightened on the tube. The pin in front is only for alignment.

I drilled into the base of the fin first, into a block of wood at the base of the fin. Then I attempted to continue the hole through the leading edge of the fin for insertion of a driver.

Once this was done I drilled back through the fin into the fuse when it was installed. I then took a piece of ply, drilled a hole and put a 4-40 screw through and sunk a blind nut. I then put the screw through the hole in the fin and screwed this into the blind nut assembly with glue on it. Pulled out the screw and the re-installed the fin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 pm 

exfokkerflyer wrote:
Funny how something that should take 20 minutes ends up taking an hour and a half...

It's painful and oh so true.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:11 pm 

All buttoned up.

Not sure about the “Bandit” on the tail still. Could end up painting over it with Red.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:33 am 

Got a lot of work done in last couple days. The original retract system had a combination of a slider valve activated by a push rod and a push button valve activated by the servo horn.

As I said before, it had a slight leak, so something had to be done. Normal operation is the doors staying open while the gear is down. This works well, but to me it’s better for moving the plane around on the ground and the shop if the doors come up after extension. To replace this set up I bought a UP2 valve. An all in one valve that is slider activated and handles doors and gear. Doors are closed after extension, and the timing is handled by the unit itself. There are needle valves to adjust the timing and I’ll have a little more of that to do with the nose gear. But so far it works okay.

Valve is mounted. Push rod needs to be made and hooked up, hoses need to be routed and secured. Jeti mBar sensor is installed allowing system pressure telemetry and eventually a gear fail-safe.

Next up; brakes. Going to be using the BVM e-brake V2. Pretty slick system that uses the air in the lines and a big servo activated plunger to activate the brakes in a closed system.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:49 am 

Wow, there's lots of "stuff" in there! :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:52 pm 

Yep! More to come too. Worked on the brake system last night. Got it assembled but not installed. As the Brits would say, “it’s a nice bit of kit”. Uses a high torque servo to actuate a over size plunger to apply pressure to the brakes. I couldn’t test it last night as I needed to replace the brake lines since it uses a special smaller ID line. Also had an issue as to where to place it as I was a little larger than I expected. But I think I’ve got it worked out. Will try to snap some pics tonight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:44 pm 

Okay, installation did not go as planned. The system works, but the brakes don’t really grab. I ended up sending everything back to BVM for them to go through it. Likely the o-rings forvthe brakes are too worn, and the hubs are too worn as well so the brakes end up trying to grave, well a groove. Would be simple enough to replace the parts, but I’m not sure which parts I actually have. So I’d rather have them check it out, confirm it, and tell me exactly which parts I need.

On another note, I almost bought yet another project. A BVM T-33 kit, all complete with gear, turbine install kit, the works. A kit I’ve always wanted, and a plane that is just cool. Why did it not go? After a price was agreed to, $X,XXX PayPal/shipped.... The guy came back with “I accept your offer...” please send PayPal plus 3% to...

I friggen hate that. Needed another plane like a hole in the head anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:38 pm 

I always wanted a T-33...

Post subject: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 am 

Me too. Interesting story. A few years back, probably five or six, I was commuting home from LAX back to Fresno after a trip. I walked over to my gate and there was some sort of delay, saw a guy I knew from my new hire class at my previous regional airline.

He was still at that company and we chatted about the industry a bit. He knew I flew models and he asked what I’d been up to in that realm. I think I was building a pattern plane at that point.

Joe had always been involved in helping with various flying museums and got a chance to fly along quite a bit. I was always really jealous of this and generally tried to steer him away from the subject because I’m... well petty and small.

So this day I asked what he’d been flying lately. He pulls out his phone and shows me pics of his T-33 being restored.

My first reaction, “how the F$&@ can you afford that???”

He went into how he bought a plane that needed work. Basically non-flyable, disassembled for $40-50k. He knew some guys who had these and restored them, he put his project in their hangar. And one week a month he’d fly out there and sleep in the hangar and work on it.

As far as flying it, generally the flights they do in these things are half hour training hops carefully choreographed to save fuel and get a lot done. Basically another pilot in back as a safety pilot, start up straight to take off (pre arranged with tower) get above 10,000 and do clearing turns... then do whatever maneuvers they briefed on. Then about 20 minutes in, fly above the airport, throttle off, simulate an engine out all the way to landing. Taxi in, and either switch places after a break, or jump in other guys plane. Said fuel costs would be only are $600-800 for this. Do this once or twice a month.

Almost convinced me it was reasonable.

He got it done I think, I’ve come across things on the nets showing him fly it.

Cool stuff. But as expensive models are, they are cheaper than the real thing.

The BVM T-33 is the perfect size, but also most expensive. I may try a Skymaster or Feibao in the future.

T

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 156 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next