It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 am 

So when I first started posting thus stuff about the turbine models that I was getting into, it was mostly about sharing what i thought was an insane endeavor. Entering part of the hobby I had orbited at times but never visited, nor really thought I would.

Then, it became a way to show that some of the more complex (and therefore expensive) genres of the hobby are more reachable than most modelers think. Which I do believe is true. If you shop classifieds and happen to live near an active area, you can jump into a large IMAC type plane, pattern plane, scale, or even a jet for a fraction of what they are like new. A little work, patience, and fiddling and you can have a really nice model.

Well, while all of this may be true, I’ve kind of jumped off the deep-end here.

Wife says, “get yourself something nice for christmas, I never know what to get you. “ I answered that i really didn’t need anything but socks and underwear.

“Want another jet? Go get another jet.”

I explained it doesnt really work that way, and I really dont need anything else.

So there i am, on a trip, sitting in a hotel waiting to head to work and I come across the ad. As a joke, i send it to the wife and say, “like this?”

The response was, “yes, get it but offer him $x,xxx”

Rest is history.

FeiBao 1/4.5 Hawker Hunter
The thrust pipe
ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:49 am 

Maybe I’m just trying to justify this (okay, obviously thats what I’m doing!), but as the plane sits here its comparable to the pattern biplane i built a few years ago.

That biplane was $2,800 by the time it got to my door, $600 motor, $200 ESC, $400 worth servos, $100 receiver, counteless odds and ends... Batteries.... Forget it, I want to stop listing price, its depressing. You can buy one of those ready to go minus receiver for less than a grand... So cheap its not worth selling.

THIS thing, minus engine is mostly ready to go. There is certainly some work to do, but the heavy lifting is done as it has flown.

I have less in it now than what i listed above. Add the jeti receiver? Still less. But this thing is big.

Reason guy sold it in part was its size, 120” long and 55lbs. Or so.

I have seen people go all out on 700 size helis and approach this range. Speed helis exceed it without breathing hard.

So, yes, I’m nuts. This has been a weird year. But i swear, this is unusual for me. Next year will be more about flying and maintaining.

T

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:55 am 

This is the model before i had it.

https://youtu.be/qcgMG4PPtLY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:05 pm 

Damn, that is AWESOME! And here I am enjoying how cheap these stupid micro FPV quads are. :lol:
Hunter is one of those classic jets that will always look great.

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:45 pm 

Yeah, the Hunter has classic lines and just looks good flying by.

Did some work in it today, swapped out a rudder servo, trying to tighten up some surfaces. Plane has flown, sure it’s fine, but there is a little more play than I would like in the rudder and ailerons. Doing some head scratching on it.

Plane to play with it a day or two linger and put it up while the bandit gets done. Might have make some wingbags etc. pieces are so big it’s easy to add dings to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:28 am 

That's huge!

I always wanted to build the Ziroli F9F but our field doesn't allow turbines. I still think about getting an EDF but the 3.5 minute flight time and the need for high C batteries makes me think twice. Maybe later 2019.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:26 pm 

I always wanted to build the Ziroli F9F as well, there is a guy in Eastern Europe that did an amazing job in one and did a build thread on RCU, goes by Mirce. It’s a cool airplane and seems to fly very well.

I removed and inspected the ailerons and servos yo make sure all was good. The rudder, ailerons, and flaps are all removable by unscrewing the hinge pin and pulling it out. Nice system, a little too much play for my liking but it’s a common method and everything is pretty beefy. When you’ve built a few pattern planes you tend to get REALLY anal about some things, not always a good thing. This plane is all ball links but it drives me crazy how many jets use regular clevices. Really nothing wrong with it, but it triggers my OCD.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:37 pm 

Spent last couple days going between one plane and the other. While the Bandit is obviously much closer than the Hunter, both we’re stuck at a point where I had to get the radio hooked up to things to move along. Which meant I had to overcome a few obstacles. Main one, cluelessness on “complex” Jeti setups.

Spent about 20-30 minutes on phone with Danny from Aeropanda between three calls to get my head around what I could do with both models. Not hard just very specific to Jeti.

With that done, Bandit is really close (again). Wiring for turbine has been a challenge. The JetCats have a lot of cables and they were too long so a few had to be fabricated.

Perhaps, I could get to final set up on the Bandit tomorrow. It’s possible. Can’t fly it yet, waiting on a turbine battery.

Hunter.... plate with air valves has been revamped. Need radio powered up to test them. Specifically concerned about ram for canopy. It’s really the only thing that must be re engineered on the plane.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:14 am 

I'm interested to hear your feedback on the Jeti 16 and 24.

I'm not a big fan of Esprit because they tend to spam the forums in my opinion but at the same time I realize they need to sell product.

The main reason why I ask is I can understand the need for the functionality for more complex aircraft like jets but for someone like me that it just doing pattern and helis, I'm not sure there's much to be gained for the cost.

Of course I keep looking at getting a FrSky system to start playing with OpenTX but at the same time I'm invested in Futaba and I like how solid their signal to the receiver is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:50 pm 

I love the Jeti. The DS-16 really was enough for me, I didn’t REALLY need the 24. The 900 MHz as a “after everything fails last resort” intrigued me and I saw an opportunity and dove straight in. I’m glad I did. It’s more future proof, more capable in terms of running Lua scripts for devices or apps, and seems to run a bit quicker. Necessary though? No.

I get what you are saying about Esprit and the spamming. I met that ZB guy at the AMA show in Ontario a few years back, he wasn’t any less annoying. BUT, not that it makes any better, it seemed it was his feeling that Jeti is the best out there and everything else sucks.. he’s just very abrasive in how he spreads the word. But, to your point, I bought my first Jeti despite his antics as he did enough over the years to taint the product in my opinion.

Now, I deal with AeroPanda. Good group of guys, Manny and Danny... stand behind their products and answer their phones to help you after hours... sometimes. Spent 30 minutes the other day having Danny walk me through getting 14 channels out of a 12 channel receiver using a Cortex Pro and a 900 MHz back up rx. The downside is I really needed somebody to wLk me through it, it’s not written anywhere. The upside, he was willing to help and was patient when having to explain things. Jeti just does things a little different.

Futaba and JR lost me when they were too slow to adapt to the telemetry and bi-directional communication with devices. Their company lines were that it was overrated or not needed.

The killer for me was trying to find a telemetry solution for mah consumed on the JR. With enough screwing around you COULD get it, but not through a JR product and once the alarm was triggered, you couldn’t turn it off in flight. Annoying!

The Taranis line will do most of what the Jeti will do, it’s only limitation is the hardware and devices that will talk to it. Some, are flat out cheaper and better for Taranis... current sensors being one, but for telemetry for jets, functions based off telemetry values, etc, you can be limited by the hardware available for the Taranis... but for just a couple of things. I have an early one, non-plus model, and it’s amazing what it can do. And if you are working with it regularly, it’s easy to use. But for me, who sets up a model with it a couple times a year, it is frustrating. Very frustrating.

Jeti talks to Brain2, Bavarian Demon, 3Digi, Spirit... I just got a couple Brain2s and will get two remaining helis switched over. Can’t say yet if I like it or not. Got far enough into it to see the menu. But then jets happened and I haven’t touched it since.

Jeti just announced the DS-12... more of a DS-24-like Tx with color screen and colorful case. Will be interesting to see how it’s equipped but the price is supposed to be in the Spektrum iX12 range.

Even though it can be frustrating a times, I really do love my Jeti, I just need to use it more.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next