It is currently Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Turbine Project(s)
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:18 am 

Very interesting and one of the things that holds me back is fear of the complexity of programming (or at least perceived) for both Jeti and OpenTX. I don't have new models that often so trying to remember things from model to model can be frustrating for sure and I've documented that on my thread. I'd be interested in the Jeti 12 assuming they have some kind of programming guide but with the being said, I know programming I'd say fairly well in both Futaba and JR hence why I've stuck to those brands.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:51 am 

Well there is no programming guide. Really. There are instructions but they generally don’t cover much. But what IS available, and is extremely useful, are dozens of videos on the Esprit site as well as YouTube explaining how to do things. Just for example, buried in an RCGroups thread or RCU thread was these videos on how to set up flaps and crow for a model.

https://youtu.be/AKRKzGadPe0
https://youtu.be/EKkFwB36AeM

There are several ways to accomplish this, just like Open TX but somebody explained it in a simple way and this gives you you most flexibility.

Esprit has many very well thought out videos to help sort through most setup issues. If I can’t find it there I hit google. And for the sequencer for my gear doors and gear I did that but it was fairly self explanatory. The gear failsafe, is something I did before but needed to reference again, and there, Google the rescue again.

Most basic settings and adjustments are pretty easy and straightforward once you get used to how it’s laid out, just like anything else.

Between the 14 and 16... I would advise to just find a 16 used. The way they did the ala cart features seemed like a good idea but most Heli guys needed a handful of upgrades, same with somebody with a complex aircraft (scale, jets, etc) and it wasn’t like upgrading a VBar, it could take days or a week to get the update. The 16, just had everything. Hopefully they lean towards that for the 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm 

I try not to go step by step on the Bandit on here anymore. I’ve already set it up once... and typical of me, I throw a tantrum because something is not how I like, and scrap it.

But, Bandit really is nearly ready to go. Charge batteries, teach the ECU, test run of engine... ready for flight.

Pics before...

ImageImageImageImage

And now...

ImageImageImage

Won’t likely fly for a couple weeks. But my attention will soon turn towards the Hunter full time. Engine should arrive end of next week/early following week.

Tom M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:01 am 

Looks nice!

More travel this week so we will see if I can touch my any of my projects.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:40 pm 

Haven't updated in a few weeks. I have been flying since, but the Bandit did not fly. Nothing bad happened the day we went out, but enough little things were going wrong that I didn't want to add a maiden and it's potential issues to it.

Work on the Hunter has been pretty steady. The engine has come and while it's not installed yet, I've been able to put in in the model to test it's fit. Looks like it was made for it!

Attachment:
IMG_2457.jpg
IMG_2457.jpg [ 577.98 KiB | Viewed 7131 times ]

Attachment:
C93632D8-3BB6-435A-B974-BC140A12E997.jpg
C93632D8-3BB6-435A-B974-BC140A12E997.jpg [ 893.85 KiB | Viewed 7131 times ]

The fuel tanks have been frustrating. I think I'm going to order another set from the manufacturer. They are just getting back from Chinese New Year and have responded to my email, but I suspect I'm one of hundreds of email threads they are deal with so the response is a bit slow.

The canopy was originally actuated by a pnuematic actuator. Really just not the way I wanted to do it. Not controllable and just seemed to have potential for damage. So I bought a linear actuator and installed that. Took me about a week of thinking about it before I figured out how I was going to do it, and it didn't turn out EXACTLY how I wanted mounting wise. A little sloppy. But I can sure it up later and it works perfectly fine. So I'm good with it. The comment on the video is from sending multiple videos to a friend, I was promising to stop after this one. 8-)

The servos were all Hitecs. Now normally I don't mind them... but after digging into this model for the last couple of months, every layer reveals yet another "now why did he do that?". So frankly, I didn't trust the servos, so I replaced them with the new version of the JR 8411s made by DFA. The specs are good, high voltage, and have a soft start. They are programmable if you are running a JR radio and XBus, but I'm not and really don't see a reason to program them anyway. Really impressed with the smoothness of the servos. I have them on the tail and the right aileron and flap so far. Will get to the left wing next week.

Attachment:
4FAB31AE-FA15-4263-8021-C389FE39C54D.jpg
4FAB31AE-FA15-4263-8021-C389FE39C54D.jpg [ 364.93 KiB | Viewed 7131 times ]

The hinges on the rudder and aileron had issues. There is a pin that screws in from the tip and passes through a tab from the wing that is captured in the surface. three of these each surface. Problem is the holes are too big. Read where a guy who has this plane and did an article for a European Jet mag and used thin CA to close the hole just enough to tighten up the gap. Worked pretty well with the rudder. Have to do the ailerons next.

Try to get that stuff finished up next week.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:46 am 

I'm glad DFA kept those around. They were pretty good servos back in the day except for the gear slop issues. I think that was more due to being used in extreme (40%er) conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:34 pm 

Been so long, I’m not sure what I’ve done since last post. Plane is long from ready to fly, the Hunter that is. I ordered all new fuel tanks, lines, fittings, etc. Decided to totally abandon previous owners set up and go stock. That takes away smoke system, but I don’t really want that on this model anyway.

I have had the gear swinging and all the servos moving. Plane isn’t far from getting done. Just have not had a lot of time to devote to building. Schedule has changed at work.., hell, A LOT of things have changed at work, making home life the bigger priority.

We are looking at moving. Put an offer in on a house yesterday. It’s close, a little smaller house, but quite a bit bigger piece of land. Too early to get excited just yet, lots of work to do and a lot of things that have to fall into place.

But. I have been flying/working on other stuff.

Joined a new club last month. It’s a long story but basically when they first formed it wasn’t a good fit. But I ran into one of the guys that formed it a month ago at the Turlock Heli Fun Fly and decided to give it a shot. The field is about an hour away and is on a former duster strip. They have since resurfaced it, but this is a pic I took my second time out.

Only got one flight on the Flash that day, ECU had an issue so I sent it back in. Still waiting to hear whether they can fix it.

Started flying some helis too... got my Logo 500 rebuilt, an ordeal but so worth it. Protos Max finally flying and NOT crashing... lol. And built another new one.

Also had a moment of extreme weakness a couple weeks ago.