It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Low Speed Logo experiment
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:21 pm 

Y'all may have heard me talk about the low speed Logo experiment, and I realized that I haven't started a thread here for it! :face

Attachment:
Logo_stretch.jpg
Logo_stretch.jpg [ 537.83 KiB | Viewed 4535 times ]

Specs:

Motor: Scorpion HKIII 4035-500
Pinion: 14T
Blades: KDS 690mm / Align 105mm
Battery: 6S 5000 (initially) or 8S 5000 (my new favorite)
Headspeeds: 1100 / 1300 / 1550 (I may try 1650 next time)
AUW: 8.15 lbs / 3697 g (6S) or 8.75 lbs / 3965 g (8S)

How does it fly? Fantastic! The disk loading is very low, so it doesn't need a lot of headspeed to fly well. 1550 is of course a lot more "powerful" feeling than 1300, and yet even at 1550 headspeed I can get 9+ minute flights with my flying style. Gotta love that! I believe I have enough gearing overhead to try 1650 or 1700, which should still give me 6 to 7 minute flights. Max current draw at 1550 is only 84 amps, with the average in the mid-30's.

Anyway, here are some videos. The first two are on 6S / 1300 rpm, with Kenny Sierra and Carter Reichardt flying. The last one is 8S / 1550rpm with yours truly at the sticks.

Post subject: Re: Low Speed Logo experiment
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:49 pm 

This prompted me to try low head speed on me E6-550 which is my heli with the lightest disk loading. So I took an old, old 3S 3300 pack and reprogrammed my ESC for it. With an 11t pinion, the max governed RPM was 1200. This hell is running 510 blades and with the 3S pack weighs just 4.18 pounds. I flew it about 10 times, changing to a 12t pinion and 1300 rpm along the way. It was enough RPM to sport fly carefully and certainly too low for anything other than just flying around. You could actually see the blades and it made NO NOISE. I live way out in the country and flew it on a very calm day and you had to pay very close attention to hear it at all in flight. In a hover it sounded very cool. I normally fly it at 2400 rpm on a 6S 4000 pack and 6.5 minutes uses 75% of the pack capacity. On 3S I was using just 1300ma in the same 6.5 minutes. That means I could get 12 minute flight times using 75% of the pack capacity. It flew very scale like but the sound was the coolest part. I just wanted to hover in front of myself the whole time and listen.

It was a very cool experiment and one I might try again some day, but to be honest that style of flying just isn't me. So I am back to blasting around as fast as I can go. LOL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:33 am 

I took my stock 600e and just dropped to s single 6s didnt change a thing, getting about 1100 rpms to much fun.
Hard to leave the LZ and climb out when i can see the blades strobing. I made 2 flights wow how fun is this, i did some piro flips they were interesting, kinda falls out the back and let the blades speed up to level off. I must have did that 20 times. All in all its definatly a way to learn collective managment. My Ikon fbl unit took to the low head speed no changes there , Tail some week with the stock tail blades. I found some larger tail blades to try next time. Yea the sound is cool like being in stealth mode.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:28 pm 

OK, so I had so much fun with the low head speed I had to go back for more. I discovered that SpinBlades makes semi-symetrical blades so I got a set of 515's. They came today and I just put them on the E6. The chord is really wide - 65mm. Tried hovering for a minute here in the basement and the interesting part is that it now hovers at exactly the same stick location at 1300 rpm as it did with the stock JR blades at 2500. Should be good weather tomorrow so I'll try them out and report back.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:11 am 

Looks like I've created a monster with this experiment. :lol:

Update on mine: 8S / 1650rpm is really fun! Bobby tossed it around last weekend over at his field, and was apparently having fun with it. However, the lovely Texas heat (103F) took its toll and we had a thermal shutdown of the ESC at the 6 minute mark. Bobby did an excellent job of getting it down, with only a few cracks in the canopy where it goes over the landing gear as evidence of the abrupt arrival.

Now, if only I knew someone who knew how to repair fiberglass.... :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 am 

Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about the mishap but at least it happened to Bobby. That makes it his fault, right?

I take back what I said earlier about this low headspeed stuff being fun but not for me. Maybe I need to qualify that I think what I have going is ultra-low headspeed. Recommended headspeed is 26-2800. I normally fly it at 2500. It's a 520mm hell (1150mm diameter) weighing in at just over 4 pounds powered by a very old bloated 3S 3300 pack and turning 1300 RPM is barely enough power to fly. I can loop, roll and of course flip it but there really isn't enough power to just jam collective and get out of trouble. You can actually see the blades in flight. The sound is SO cool. It makes you think about flying it since you can't just power out of stuff. These fat, heavy semi-symmetrical blades made a real difference. According to the charger, I could fly for over 10 minutes and still be under 80% usage on the packs. If this fun keeps up, I guess I'll have to go buy some packs.

I think this might entertain me for a while. LOL

Last edited by rablett on Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:23 pm 

rablett wrote:
Sorry to hear about the mishap but at least it happened to Bobby. That makes it his fault, right?
Of course it does! :thumbup:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:44 pm 

I'm still picking those damn burs from my shoes!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:54 pm 

Borneoben wrote:
I'm still picking those damn burs from my shoes!
:rolling
Ben was introduced to a plant we have here in TX that makes small burs about the size of a caraway seed, and they stick tenaciously to everything. We had to wade around in a field of it to find the Logo. :face

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:16 pm 

Yep, been there, done that. Those suckers get stuck on shoes, socks, pants, and whatever else they come in contact with. They do not come off in the washer or dryer if you miss a few.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper