It is currently Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: (Idea) Help Bobby C&P a Brain/iKon tail settings tech page.
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:45 pm 

Being that Bobby has no time, and how the community promotes the use of the Brain/iKon FBL unit; I thought it would be good for the community to do a group-think techniques thread on setting up Brain/iKon FBL unit.

The Brain/iKon set-up wizard does a very good job of getting you 80% tuned in. Tuning the tail parameters is the only thing that takes a bit trial & error in my experience. For this I personally used the thread in HeliFreak, but I think the process of tuning the tail could be paired down to: Do this simple "acrobatic" maneuver, adjust "this" slider until "this" result happens. Next step. Repeat going through the steps until the heli is tuned in.

If no one wants to start I could to go through the steps that I tuned my G630 from memory. Others can critique my the steps I did until the steps are honed into a K.I.S.S. process that Bobby can cut & paste into a tech page.

Any interest in the idea?

Post subject: Re: (Idea) Help Bobby C&P a Brain/iKon tail settings tech pa
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:41 pm 

Sounds like a great idea. I'm just about to work on this as my ikon had been at that 80% and I'm just now wanting to finish it. I've noticed that the more I'm starting to do inverted the more I notice the tail needs more tuning

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:06 am 

Great idea. Alex and I have thrown around the idea of doing some tuning videos / tech page. For some reason Alex feels like his family and work come first. What the heck? :rolling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:45 am 

Ok, let’s do this.

I did my Brain/iKon tuning in August and doing this from memory so any critique is welcome. What started me tuning the tail were tail oscillations during fast forward flight.

1. Set the Flying Style to 3D in the Set-Up Wizard for the flight mode & head-speed that you are going to be tuning for. If you are flying in “Hard Core 3D” you may need to re-tune in that mode.

2. Use the three Flying Setups. One should be of a stable setting; the other two can be used to have two different settings to use while adjusting the parameters.

3. Raise the Proportional Gain until the tail starts to oscillate while hovering.

4. Reduce the Proportional Gain by 1/3 (current setting x 0.66 = new setting).

5. Continue to reduce the Proportional Gain until you don’t hear tail oscillations while doing high speed passes down the runway. The tail’s heading holding ability will be low at this setting, it will be tuned out shortly.

6. While doing a smooth collective stick motion, have the helicopter do moderate vertical rate climb & descents. Reduce the Integral Gain until you have minor tail wagging when the helicopter starts the climb and/or decent. Increase Integral Gain until the tail wagging during climb and/or descents is removed. When the tail tuning is almost complete return to this maneuver but with sudden and/or high rates of climb & descents and tune the Pitch Precompensation to remove the tail wagging during high rates of climb & descents.

7. While in moderate to fast forward flight command the tail to do right & left pirouettes. Initially the helicopter will not be able to do right & left pirouettes equally due to the Integral Gain being too low. Increase the Integral Gain until the helicopter can pirouette equally in fast forward flight (within the limits of the tail rotor’s authority).

8. Return to increasing the Proportional Gain until the tail starts to oscillate during fast forward flight. Then reduce slightly to tune the oscillation out.

9. Recheck the relationship of Proportional & Integral Gains by doing the maneuvers in steps 6 through 8 until satisfied with how the tail sensitivity is adjusted.

10. Derivate Gain is used to adjust how the tail stops from a pirouette. While adjusting this gain it is imperative that the pilot and/or transmitter rudder stick not oscillate when bringing the rudder stick back to the center position. If the pilot and/or rudder stick oscillate, it will be observed as the helicopter tail bouncing from the stop. Either make a conscious effort to not oscillate the rudder stick, or increase the rudder stick centering spring tension. Another possibility to remove pilot/transmitter induced stop bouncing is to increase the Tail Stick Deadband to 4.0-5.0.

11. Reduce Derivate Gain until you have tail bounce-back when quickly & smoothly re-centering the rudder stick from doing a hovering pirouette. Due to main rotor torque & rotational direction a right or left bounce-back will be larger than the other; we are only concerned with the smaller of the two bounce-backs. The larger bounce-back will be tuned out soon. Increase the Derivate Gain slightly until the lesser of the two bounce-backs is removed. The tail should go from pirouetting to still instantly. If this action is difficult to see it is alright to decrease the Tail Rotational Speed while doing the adjustments. Just make sure to recheck the tail stopping behavior after increasing the Tail Rotational Speed.

12. Increase Tail Asymmetry until the larger bounce-back is tuned out or reduced as possible. There is a relationship between the tail rotor authority, Tail Rotational Speed, Derivate Gain, and Tail Asymmetry. The tail rotor’s authority can only instantly stop a certain amount of rotational speed. If you find that setting the Tail Asymmetry to maximum still doesn’t remove all of the larger bounce-back, reduce the Tail Rotational Speed, and recheck steps 11 & 12. Another solution is to increase tail rotor authority by increasing the tail rotor pitch or blade size. If you increase the tail blade size all of the steps will need to be repeated.

I have not covered Cyclic Precompensation due to the fact that I haven’t changed this setting from stock.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:49 pm 

I like this idea. Good job on the tail summary.

Have you tuned elevator bobble? On multiple Brain/iKon helis I have crisp aileron but elevator feels softer and bobbles. I've been meaning to read the tuning threads and fix this but honestly it flies good enough that it never hit the top of my priority list.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:51 pm 

jv8 wrote:
I like this idea. Good job on the tail summary.

Have you tuned elevator bobble? On multiple Brain/iKon helis I have crisp aileron but elevator feels softer and bobbles. I've been meaning to read the tuning threads and fix this but honestly it flies good enough that it never hit the top of my priority list.

OK, you inspired me to tune after work. A little less I gain and a little more D gain got rid of the bobble... elevator stops on a dime now.

Man, I love tuning with bluetooth/Android! I don't even have to walk up to the helicopter...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:06 pm 

jv8 wrote:
jv8 wrote:
OK, you inspired me to tune after work. A little less I gain and a little more D gain got rid of the bobble... elevator stops on a dime now.

Man, I love tuning with bluetooth/Android! I don't even have to walk up to the helicopter...

Great! Glad to hear that it worked for you.