It is currently Fri Aug 14, 2020 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How tight to run DT 600 tail belt
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:21 pm 

So I'm in the home stretch of dialing in the electronics and mechanics of my DT600 and I have to say I really like the ease of use of the Robird. I may have a King Max cyclic servo acting funny, but won't know for sure till I finish getting everything tightened up and level. I hope the Robired flies as well as the software is easy to setup. If you've never tried one you should. I've been going over all my nuts and bolts and making sure everything is level and centered with the swash and servos and got to wondering about the belt. How tight should I be running the belt and on which end of the boom should I be making tension adjustments? Meaning should I be sliding the boom all of the way inside the frames and then sliding out the tail gear assembly or should I be sliding the tail boom out from the frame and keep the tail gear assemble all the way against the tail boom?

Post subject: Re: How tight to run DT 600 tail belt
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:48 am 

The belt needs to not be flopping, but shouldn't be as tight as a banjo string. If you pull the tension out of the belt by hand without excessive strain, it should be fine. Generally, you can check it by taking a pen or allen wrench or something and press down on the belt just in front of the tail pulley. You should be able to push the belt down slightly with pressure from a pen, but it shouldn't be so loose as to be flopping. Hope that makes sense. :-)

As to where to take up the slack, it should be roughly evenly distributed between the tail and the frame mount. You need to make sure that the boom is fully in contact with the support blocks in the frame and that the tail assembly is pulled out off the boom enough that the belt isn't rubbing on the edge of the boom.

I normally get it pretty close on the tail and then pull the whole boom back as that is easier for me to do, but as long as it is pretty evenly distributed and the boom fully contacts the support blocks in the frame, you should be good to go.

Hope that helps. It is easier to show than to describe. :-)

Let me know if you have a servo issue, and I'll get you swapped out.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:41 pm 

Awesome description of how to adjust the belt. I think I've got it set up and think the servo is fine after going through the Robird setup again. Looking forward to flying this thing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:18 pm 

Just some general belt advice for anyone who might be reading. Belts are pretty forgiving. If it's too lose it will skip teeth under load and maybe make some weird noises. It shouldn't be instant death for your Heli. If you can't hold the tail case/tail apart from the boom/frame with one hand while you tighten it down it's probably too tight. Getting it as tight as I can hold the pieces apart with one hand while tightening down with the other has worked well as a baseline for me. Occasionally it's not enough (the goblin I needed someone to help me get it tight enough to not skip teeth but that was unusual and most people probably wouldn't need that). But that's generally tight enough to get a flight on to see if the belt is going to skip without being too tight. YMMV

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:00 am 

It's definitely forgiving on the DT design. I went out to test fly the Ikon I swapped into my 520 a few days ago when it was around 15deg, and didnt bring anything with me to adjust the belt for the cold. It was loose enough that it was flopping around and hitting the inside of the boom. It still flew fine for 5 minutes and didn't give me any trouble.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:06 pm 

In my experience with belted tails, it's better to have them on the loose side as long as they don't skip teeth. There's much less stress on the radial bearings, which results in less resistance in the tail drive system.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:55 pm 

In the same line of questioning once I get the tension dialed in. Should I lubricated the belt some how or are the belts designed to be run dry out of the package? I think I've heard Chris say on the show he treats his belts with a lubricant?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:35 am 

Lubricating will make the belt move more smoothly and will help reduce static build-up. A silicone lubricant that's safe for rubber works well.

ParkZone P-51 BL, Hobby King Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:03 am 

Agreed, but don't get too hung up on it. If you don't put any kind of lube on it you most likely won't have any issues. On Logos I often had static hits on my radio (With Spektrum DSM2, never had them with Futaba) unless I kept the belt lubed. Later they came out with their static kits and I never had hits even without spraying the belts. The DT uses metal pulleys and carbon frames, so I'd bet that there is continuity from the belt to the motor so it probably doesn't build up static like some designs do. That said, I still give a squirt of silicone down the boom on my DT, but I'm not doing it with any kind if regularity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:53 am 

I've never lubricated the belt and never had a problem although I think it might run a little quieter lubricated. I vaguely remember someone telling me that.