It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Goblin Helioption battery tray?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:39 am 

I keep thinking that I heard about the Helioption battery tray on the RCT show. So, does someone on here have it? I've got the 700 Competition, which has a tray, but this setup looks so much better that I'm thinking about dropping the $80 or so it would cost for this setup with 2 extra trays.

Post subject: Re: Goblin Helioption battery tray?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:38 am 

Eury wrote:
I keep thinking that I heard about the Helioption battery tray on the RCT show. So, does someone on here have it? I've got the 700 Competition, which has a tray, but this setup looks so much better that I'm thinking about dropping the $80 or so it would cost for this setup with 2 extra trays.

I've got one, but sadly haven't installed it yet. So many other things going on. I'll install it tonight and snap some pics. Kevin Morris has one as well. Initial reports I've heard is that it is the best option so far.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:40 am 

I bought one yesterday while Helidirect had a 10% off sale. Hopefully I'll have time to install it when I get back from my next trip.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:51 pm 

I've installed it and flown a few times now. It's a nice, but slightly imperfect solution, although better than the stock Competition setup. Observations:

Battery width is slightly limited with the Helioption. I have some cheap Turnigy packs that will only fit if the wires are facing up on this setup where I had them on the side with the stock setup. This is because you have to have the packs centered to allow adequate plate on the sides to engage the sliding mechanism. On the stock setup I offset them slightly to one side to create room for the wires.

With only a plate on the bottom the pack assembly is flimsy, as would be expected. I'd put one of the stock Competition plates on top to create a delicious firey sandwich, but since I'm forced to have the wires on the top, that is a no go.

When pushing in, it is necessary to push down on the rear of the tray to get it to engage with the lock otherwise it will ride up and out of the slot. No big deal, and if it was stiffer the issue wouldn't exist.

Battery changes are quick and easy, and the single lock in the rear works perfectly. The packs aren't going anywhere.

I run wires underneath where the tray goes and sometimes I'd see the stock setup come Close to touching those wires. This eliminates that possibility, which is perfect because I am super paranoid.

In all, I like the setup. If I had used It prior to purchase I probably would have passed, but that's due to me already having the SAB tray setup in the competition. It's better, just not so much better that I feel my $80 (system with 2 extra trays ) wouldn't have been better spent elsewhere. Basically, if you've already got the SAB setup, skip this. If you have an original Gobbler with no tray, how do you look at yourself in the mirror? That setup is horrible. Buy the Helioption or go big baller and pick up the KDE.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk