It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: RCA 700 Size Super Scale HH-60 Jayhawk Build Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:16 am 

She finally arrived!!

WooHoo! :rolling

And So It Begins.....

I must say that i was very impressed with the packaging of the heli, it came in a huge box weighing about 30lbs or 13.6Kg for the more advanced people reading!
It was double boxed and there were some nice cardboard former's that were taped and hot glued into position.
Everything was wrapped very will in bubble wrap and nothing was able to move around inside the box.
Unfortunately there was some damage but it was only to one of the cockpit seat frames, nothing on the main fuse was damaged that i have found so far. I am impressed that was all there was when you consider the distances this model has traveled and the amount of handling it has gone through to get to me. I also think that the seat was damaged during packaging as it was buried so deep in a box and wrapped maybe a little too tightly in bubble wrap. It will be an easy fix for sure.

My biggest concern was that there would be cracks or damage to the main fuse which would be very difficult to repair without damaging the very nice paint job.

Anyway, on the pictures..

To give you an idea of size thats my 42" Vyper Bype.

Double boxed in thick carboard.

Very well packaged with nice former's that were taped AND hot glued into place

Here i have mocked up the mechanics in the fuse, the mechanics arrive fully assembled.
The Dog house is removable in two pieces.

Here the rear portion of the dog house is in place. This section gives you access to the servos. With the front half of the dog house removed you have very easy access to install/remove batteries. There is lots of room for very large Lipos, at some stage in the future i will investigate some 6000 + lipos.

I was impressed by the overall quality of the fuselage, the paint is very very nice, it will be a shame to weather it! But so far i think i have been mostly impressed by the detail on the cockpit panels. There are also LED's behind the panels to make all the gauges light up, should look pretty amazing at night.

There are of course pedals and sticks to be installed.

This is how the main mechanics arrive. So far they look OK but i will strip them down and rebuild for piece of mind. The main frames are G10 and are pretty rough around the edges. It wont take much to make it much nicer. All the ball joints feel pretty nice if a little on the tight side, but only a little.

After a lot of research and bugging everyone I know I think I have managed to put together a very well spec'd electronics package.
It will all be used equipment as i just cant afford new gear at this time but it has allowed me to use very nice quality stuff.
The electronics system will be as follows
Align 750mx 450KV
Kontronic Jive 80HV
Haiyin 6s 5000 x2
Futaba BLS451 cyclic servos
JR 8900G Tail servo
Ikon Flight Controller
Optipower Ultra Guard

I doubt that this thread will progress very fast but i will for sure document the build here. (Have to finish our kitchen renovation first...)
If any of you are considering buying a large scale heli from RC Aerodyne my first impressions are overwhelmingly positive. I was very impressed with the packaging and the apparent quality, so far!
I also spoke with Cliff Turnbull, owner of RCA, last week and he was a very nice guy that was easy to talk to and very approachable.

Cheers all

Ben

Post subject: Re: RCA 700 Size Super Scale HH-60 Jayhawk Build Thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:33 am 

Very cool Ben. Looks great!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:48 am 

nice. I bet by the end of this you own a cnc router, a 3d printer and have a new found interest in microelectronics. (for the dash)

this is a slippery slope and you are on your way DOWN !! nice.

/Steve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:29 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:46 pm 

Looks good!
What does the left side look like?
You should really try to get the canted tail...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:55 pm 

Here is the left side

The doors dont open on this side

I will investigate the canted tail some more but i cant really see a way of doing it easily.

If you know of a way let me know!!

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:28 pm 

Holy cow that is huge! The mechanics in the fuse look tiny! Can't wait to see more of the build.

Citizen #187

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:56 am 

Sweet, just like the real thing.

Those are actually windows, not a cabin doors. They usually stay closed in flight.

The easiest way to do a canted tail is to do a direct drive fixed pitch. I actually think this would be a lot simpler than a mechanical system. A slightly more complex alternative is to use a variable pitch prop, turning at a constant speed:

Think of it as one arm of a multi. With your experience building muliti-rotors this shouldn't be that hard. Remember the days when each arm was stabilized by its own heading hold gyro? The key will be to determine the required power output, given the scale propeller diameter and building the correct structure within the tail pylon to support the motor.

Did it come with tailrotor hardware and blades? What do they look like.

Another varsity detail you could easily implement is the programming tail stabilator.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:22 pm 

Hey scrtsqrl

Thats a nice picture, thanks. I'm still debating on how much detail i will put into the build.

There are a lot of little things that can be added. i think i will build it as it is for now and see what i am feeling when it is doesnt and flying.
Then i may add some more detail then.

I would worry about the flight characteristics on a fixed pitch tail on a heli of this size the torque must be huge.

There isn't allot of room in the tail fin gearbox nacelle for a direct drive motor i would hate to add the realism of the canted tail and loose the effect with a much bigger nacelle around the tail motor.

I will still put some more thought into it though

Cheers

Ben

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:18 am 

Ben,
10-15% of the helicopter's power goes to driving the tail rotor...
The math isn't that hard...
Ask around. How many watts does the model pull in a hover and at a fast cruise? The tail rotor motor would have to be rated at least 10-15% plus what ever margin that'll make you happy.
With all the multi-rotor motors available, I'm confident that you can find one that'll fit in the tail rotor gearbox "bubble".
Regarding the flight characteristics, don't worry, think about how well multi-rotors, of all sizes, maintain attitude with fixed pitch props...
Let me know if you have any questions...
It would be a shame if a "super-scale" model compromised on such a distinctive detail...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next