It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: RC Helis for Ag Research, a.k.a. Phenocopter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:57 pm 

Ok guys, here's a little about me and the use of RC in my field. I have a Ph.D. in Plant Breeding and Genetics from Texas A&M University. I'm currently working for a seed company as a sorghum breeder. My breeding site is located in Hereford, TX but I live in nearby Canyon. Back in November I attended the International Sorghum Genomics Conference. A group of researchers from Australia had a presentation where they used an RC Heli with instruments mounted on it to collect data from research trials. The goal is to take phenotypic data (what you see or can measure biologically from a plant) and use it with DNA data. By using the Phenocopter, the researchers can quickly gather data from several plots in a matter of minutes which is really important because plant response to the conditions can change rapidly and thus a high degree of precision among different genetics can be obtained.

A monthly newsletter I receive from the American Society of Agronomy had an article on Phenomics which is essentially taking what you can see and biologically measure to be used with DNA data to locate genes that will help with stressful growing conditions and also breeders such as myself use molecular data to improve the efficiency of selecting superior lines.

The article can be found here:
https://www.crops.org/files/publication ... lution.pdf

Pictures of the Phenocopter can be found here:
http://www.cat.csiro.au/ict/download/phenocopter/
http://www.cat.csiro.au/ict/download/ph ... ndex2.html

Post subject: Re: RC Helis for Ag Research, a.k.a. Phenocopter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:43 pm 

That's really cool. I had read an article about using them for farming with irrigation and pesticides but not for that much detail.

Think there's enough market to start a business with my fpv quad? :grin:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:52 pm 

Possibly. When I was an undergrad, a job possibility and I did something related was being a consultant for farmers. I have a friend who stayed in my hometown to farm but as the owner he rarely leaves his office. Farming has evolved into a job that can even highly benefit from earning a Masters.

If you could use your quad to gather information on a field and make recommendations, then you could be a farming consultant.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:08 am 

Its amazing how much farming has changed just since I left home and went to college... and that wasn't that long ago.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:01 pm 

A new article and this one uses similar technology but it's more for what the ag industry refers to as scouting. Scouting is basically analyzing what's going on in a field either by walking through it or looking for problem areas from the air or another means and collecting information (I.E. pest populations, fertilizer deficiency, etc.) to either correct the problem or to make note of a problem for the future to make adjustments.

http://southeastfarmpress.com/cotton/un ... air?page=2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:47 am 

ok, that's cool... now i know what i want to do for a second job here in a few years.