It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: HobbyKing Mini DLG
PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:08 am 

Ordered one for $140 shipped. First DLG. Let's see how I like it! It comes put together with servos. Planning on using a 200mah 2s lipo from my UMX planes and a UBec.

Post subject: Re: HobbyKing Mini DLG
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:29 am 

Got it. Put it together. Takes about 3 minutes, plus figuring out the receiver/battery placement. Ended up using a CC 10amp BEC that I had laying around, plus a 180mAh battery with the eflite connector. Cut a female connector off my 5 parallel charging cable and soldered it to the BEC, shortened the wire down to like 2 inches. I crimped a servo plug to the receiver wire of the BEC, cut down the wire also to like 2 inch or so. I'm using one of the new Spektrum 4 channel receivers (from Horizon, not the Orange stuff). It all fits nicely, and the CG is dead on. Honestly I didn't glue or velcro or double tape anything, since it's all so nicely wedged in and can't move.

It actually comes with a manual, a 2 pager leaflet in color. It even explains the discus launch process. I didn't expect that!

Charged the battery and off I went! Gray sky (on and off drizzle), gusty wind, but not too bad. No thermals, that's for sure. This is my first DLG (my only glider experience is the Radian), so I was quite apprehensive of the discus launch. First I chucked it to see if it flies, and yes it did. Then I tried my first discus launch. I was extremely surprised how easy it is and how fast and high it shot up on my first attempt.

One problem: It rolls slowly to the left at high speed, too much to correct with rudder. So it shoots up and rolls, but once it slows down it was nicely controllable. I really enjoyed the motorless flying. It handled the wind nicer than I thought, but of course it will be nicer without wind (or only a little bit). And some sun and heat to create thermals!

In the evening I was able to get the warp out with a heat gun. Should be much better now.

I knew that it won't need a lot of mAh, but I was surprised that I put only 24mAh back in. I chucked it at least 20 times or so (didn't count), so the 180mAh battery is plenty.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:57 am 

Is this one one you got?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ouse_.html

That's actually really cute! Keep us posted on how it goes. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:37 pm 

Yes, that's the one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:57 pm 

Got a lot more flights in today. Getting the hang of the launch. Got a few one minute flights. No thermals yet. :-) grass was wet, which I think makes thermals pretty much impossible.

Plane is flying straight now. It's awesome to see it shoot up like that from a hand launch.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:34 pm 

Have been flying it a lot. Launching it gets better and better. Today I created a mix on the flight mode switch to give it 15% down elevator during launch. Now it makes a nice wide arc from level (launch) to 90 degrees up right when it loses steam. I start the timer as soon as I level off the plane and I'm always getting between 30 seconds and 50 seconds. I hit the 1 minute mark only 3 times (about 10 flying sessions in various locations and temperatures and cloud cover), today I hit a minute 40 seconds for the first time. There was a mini thermal and I saw the plane show all the thermal indicators that I read about. :-)

I'm thinking that the CG might be a bit too far forward, because without the mix it pretty much does a full loop. Is it normal that down elevator needs to be applied during launch?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:36 pm 

Also, yesterday I had a DLG session with 40 second max flights. Then I took out my Radian, took it up high, followed a hawk and thermaled up with the hawk until I ran out of time and had to force it down after a 15 minute flight (with about 20 or 30 seconds of power on climb). That made me a little bit weary of DLG'ing, because it's just damn hard (for me so far impossible) to do a flight that's sustained by thermals ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:21 pm 

hugofly wrote:
That made me a little bit weary of DLG'ing, because it's just damn hard (for me so far impossible) to do a flight that's sustained by thermals ...

Do you think it might be because of the shortened wingspan?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:20 pm 

tgiencke wrote:
hugofly wrote:
That made me a little bit weary of DLG'ing, because it's just damn hard (for me so far impossible) to do a flight that's sustained by thermals ...

Do you think it might be because of the shortened wingspan?

This is my first DLG, so I don't know if it's my lack of skill, the shortened wingspan, or the fact that it's not a carbon fiber composite molded hand made $900 DLG! :-)

But I do know that I really like DLG'ing, but I'd be really disappointed if I'd spend about $400 for a decent DLG and still get only 1 minute flights from it (with the occasional 2 or 3 minute lucky-break flight).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:23 pm 

40 seconds to 1 minute in dead air is about typical. Sounds like your CG is still too far forward if it tries to loop at speed but flies level when slowed down.

Catching the low altitude thermals is a real challenge, and a large part of the fun (to me, anyway). :thumbup: