It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: HobbyKing Mini DLG
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:32 pm 

That's good info. I'll work on that CG. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:48 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
40 seconds to 1 minute in dead air is about typical. Sounds like your CG is still too far forward if it tries to loop at speed but flies level when slowed down.

Catching the low altitude thermals is a real challenge, and a large part of the fun (to me, anyway). :thumbup:

Ok Chris, you now really perked my ears.

I want to give DLG flying a try, and have priced out a Top Sky 1.0 as being my first go at it. But I have been sitting on the fence.

At $93 the HK Mini DLG is in the whoops I hit the buy button price range. Are you recommending I buy the HK Mini DLG first to see if I really like DLG flying, before buying a 1.5m DLG?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:33 pm 

I realized that the horizontal stab is warped. Need to put the heat gun to it, too. That should improve things.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:33 pm 

How much is the top sky?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:01 pm 

The 1 meter DLGs are actually going to be a bit harder to fly and a bit less efficient than a 1.5 meter, but of course also a bit less money. :)

Both are fun, you really can't go wrong either way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:21 pm 

hugofly wrote:
How much is the top sky?

$225 airframe only when in stock.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:33 pm 

Okay: I didn't know if I like DLGs and I've been wanting one for a few years now. I'm definitely hooked. I bought the Mini DLG because it's really cheap but decent. I'm very impressed by how it flies. I had to unwarp the wings and will unwarp the horizontal stab also, after that it should be even better and even floatier.

BUT: If it doesn't matter to someone if one pays $100 for a complete airframe or $225 for an airframe plus servos, and someone wants to try out DLG, I would definitely recommend to go for the TopSky, if only for the bigger size. It will go up higher (I'd think) and it will be floatier (definitely). I didn't want to spend that much just to find out that I don't like DLG. And I still don't want to go out and just buy a bigger DLG for more money, even though I now do love DLG'ing.

I can highly recommend the MiniDLG. I still really like just throwing it up there and flying it down, even though a flight is only 40 to 60 seconds (for me). And I do get more sensitive to air movements, I do learn to manage the energy, I get a kick out of trying to land it right next to me, and I am learning to launch it, and also I'm learning to tweak it (e.g. unwarping the wings and the stab :-) ). It's like a trainer plane, I guess.

I will definitely fly it longer, probably until the end of the thermal season (New Jersey) and then I'm pretty sure I'll buy a 1.5m DLG and invest a bit more money.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:33 am 

Ordered a 200mah 2cell LiFe battery to run straight to the rx w/o a bec. Should move the CG back by a bit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:51 pm 

Where did you find one that small?!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:36 pm 

Found in on a vendor called "Tower Hobby". Heard of it? :-)

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXYXA6&P=0

It says 15g, vs. 11g for my eFlite battery plus 11g for the CC bec. Losing 7g in the nose.

They don't have it in stock, though, so I went to eBay and found it for $20 shipped from a vendor in the US (from my neighboring state, so it should be here fast).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next