It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mini DLG (900mm) Electronics advice please
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:15 am 

I've recently acquired a Peak Hobbies Binary 900 V2.0 in kit form, that I'll be assembling in the next little while. I have two general approaches for electronics.

I could go a fairly standard route with servos, receiver or I can use some ultramicro electronics (umx brick and linear servos) from a retired micro mustang and mcpx.

Standard approach:
4ch 2.4 GHz receiver - 2.9g
Voltage booster 2.9g (1S to 5v)
HXT500 servos - two for the wing and one for elevator - 3 x 6.8g = 20.4g
HK 3.7g servos - 3 x 4.6g = 13.8g

Weight of Electronics
26.2g with HXT500
19.6g with HK 3.7g

Ultra micro:
AR6400L Micro receiver 3.9g - I would use the integrated elevator servo
mcpx Linear servos (ailerons) 2 x 1.9g = 3.8g

Weight
7.7g

The brick/linear servo approach has the advantage that it is simple and lighter. I'm guessing that the linear servos from the mcpx would be more precise than the standard servos that I've listed, but I have nothing to confirm that.

This is my first DLG and I welcome any comments and suggestions.

Thanks

Tony

Post subject: Re: Mini DLG (900mm) Electronics advice please
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:30 am 

Hey Tony, welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I'd trust the linear servos to have enough power for a DLG of that size. They have a pretty wide speed range, and might overpower those little guys. I see in this thread that some guys are using a version of the Blue Arrow servos that are designed to run on 1S. I've had hit-or-miss results with the HXT500 in my No Brainer foamy, they work OK but strip pretty easy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:52 am 

I recall on one of the podcasts (it may have been yours or the Horizon one), the designer of the Blade helis was talking about one of the advantages of linear servos in that they don't strip. I can imagine they might hold really well, but might not have enough torque to change their position.

I know very little about DLG's, but I imagine there are tremendous stresses during launch. During that time, aren't the servos in a fixed position? Are there times when the torque will be important?

Thanks Chris

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:24 pm 

Very true, they don't strip. My experience with them on the Blade 130 has been very hit-or-miss when it comes to reliability though, they tend to get the jitters or just randomly stop working. With a heli it just crashes, but with a DLG it could result in a flyaway! That would really suck. :(

I surfed around the HLG forum on RC Groups and found some discussion about the Power HD DSM-44 servo. Some love them, some hate them. I have one in my No Brainer on the rudder, and it's been fine but many report short lifespans or random failures.

You could always look at the Hitec HS-35HD. It gets generally good reviews as appropriate for smaller DLGs, and you will definitely be assured of good warranty service should you need it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:28 pm 

The servos in the mcpx and 130x lead a very hard life. They are almost constantly buzzing, making minute corrections. I don't have any plans to put any gyros in my DLG (yet).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:41 pm 

I've searched around and cannot find anyone who has reported using the small linear servos in anything larger than the micro DLG I've posted about here. All I can suggest is give it a try! Worst case, they don't work. :)