It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dream-Flight Libelle EPO DLG
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:54 pm 

So I finished mine up and I've been chucking it around for while today.

The plane goes together very nicely. The clevises are ingenious. Only problem is that the rudder pushrod bucks pretty severely if you are a right hand launcher.

I ran D47 and 5035 servos. It took about 1/2 oz of nose weight to balance. It is tricky to fit everything into the pod, it's pretty snug in there.

This is my first DLG but I had no problems chucking it maybe 75 feet after a bit of practice and a rudder offset. Fun to glide around for about a minute before catching it. The wind was brutal here today but it penetrated pretty well.

I look forward to hooking some thermals in good conditions with it later! Very satisfied.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:39 pm 

Darnit Cody, you beat me into the air! :lol:

I probably won't have the servo situation taken care of until later in the week, but that's OK I have too many irons in the fire to go play with it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:30 pm 

My kit came today. I wish they would make a left or right hand rudder kit.

I'm going to try the Spektrum A2020 servos.

I have my Taranis Rx and Vario on the way from Dallas.

Maybe I can throw it late next week.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:47 am 

Yeah, that rudder thing is... weird. I mean, I know you need to choose one or the other for the molds, but why choose to make it for left-handed throwers? :thinking

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:43 pm 

So I managed to get out with Libelle today and get it a few hundred feet up in thermals a few times. It flies great! It's a blast to fly. I look forward to flying it in less wind; today I couldn't get too high before it was getting dangerously far away.

For the rudder, I managed to really reduce the needed offset and general flex by going to the outermost hole on the rudder horn, then maxing out the EPA on the rudder servo. More mechanical advantage means it takes a lot more force to buckle the pushrod.

I also found out something interesting about my servos. I thought I had a 5035 going bad, but it turns out that the D47's work down to a much lower voltage than the 5035's. So when the ailerons started acting weird but the tail didn't, it was really because my battery was so far down.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:49 pm 

Sounds like a good time, Cody! Now that heli fest is over, I hope to be able to get mine going. I finally have all the parts so now it's just a matter of time. :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:28 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
Sounds like a good time, Cody! Now that heli fest is over, I hope to be able to get mine going. I finally have all the parts so now it's just a matter of time. :)

How about posting your Taranis code for your machine?
Thanks.

Got in a few tosses (no peg) last Sunday in a nasty cross-wind with all kinds of turbulence. Wow. Could not believe how it floats.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:57 pm 

Rick, I'm still working on mine (I know, I know) but I have downloaded a Taranis file already:

http://rcsettings.com/index.php/viewdow ... ibelle-dlg

I had to reverse the left aileron, and I've moved my momentary switch so the launch settings all had to be moved over to the other switch. Not sure if I'm going to like it, but it is something to start with and see how other people do things. :)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:44 pm 

Chris, when (if!) you ever get this thing together, and talk about it on the show, can you kinda go over DLG's for n00bs at the same time? You just mentioned launch settings and I'm not too sure what those are. I've never flown a DLG before, but I am anxiously waiting to hear your impressions of this plane. This will probably be my gateway drug.

Thanks!

Citizen #187

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:18 am 

Rob, I did the maiden on it yesterday, so I'll start discussing it on this week's show (with more to come as I get more flights on it, of course). It may not be this week, but I'll be sure and dedicate a 10 minute tip to basic settings, and other fun DLG topics. Lots to cover! :thumbup:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next