It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Chris' Evolution W: The woody DLG
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:22 am 

Thanks guys! Sorry, no video of the first day out. I promise l will get some video soon. :)

I did some range tests at home, that X6R was flaking out at about 4 paces in range check mode. I swapped in an X4R and got 20 paces in the same location. Of course it's smaller too (easier to stuff into that tiny pod) and I saved 4g of weight. The X6R went in the trash, these things are so inexpensive it's not even worth attempting to get it fixed.

On a side note, telemetry totally rocks! In the bad old days I might never known I had a flaky receiver until the model flew away. This one started telling me "RSSI low" right after I snagged a thermal and started climbing. I really did have a few seconds of internal struggle, the conversation was something like:

"RSSI low?? WTH! I caught a thermal on the 4th toss, and now this? Should I make a few more turns?"
"NO! Land now!"
"But.... thermal!"
"Don't make me kick your butt..."
<sigh>"Dumping flaps now, ya jerk...."

:tongue

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:48 am 

I picked up my kit yesterday. Met Traian. Really nice guy. He showed me his next project - carbon fiber over foam. The wing (1/2) weighed about 43 grams. It was like holding a feather. Never seen anything like it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:00 pm 

Sweet! The build is a lot of fun, be sure and watch Traian's videos... lots of good tips there. I've had mine out a few more times and really enjoy flying it. I love how that transparent covering looks in the air.

I look forward to reading about his new project...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:52 pm 

Did you use KST servos?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:38 pm 

Yep, I used the ones he recommended, and got the little aluminum mounts for the wing servos too. I did have to modify them just a bit to clear the wires, but it was just a bit of filing.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:42 am 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
Yep, I used the ones he recommended, and got the little aluminum mounts for the wing servos too. I did have to modify them just a bit to clear the wires, but it was just a bit of filing.

They are not inexpensive. . .
Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:49 am 

Nope, not cheap. But they center very well and are powerful. They also happily run on a 1S lipo, which is what I'm using in mine.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:51 pm 

I hope you don't mind me copying your color scheme? It looks great and seems to be highly visible from both sides.

Anders

Sent fra min GT-I9295 via Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:17 am 

Andersgj wrote:
I hope you don't mind me copying your color scheme? It looks great and seems to be highly visible from both sides.
For a small fee.... ;)

Of course I don't mind, but you will of course need to post pictures. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:30 pm 

I had the chance to take my Evolution-W out for some flying today. It was a chilly, breezy, overcast day so I expected it to be only useful for practicing launches and tweaking programming. At first, it was. But later in the day the breeze dropped off and the sun made a valiant attempt to appear. It wasn't much, but it was enough to kick off some weak lift.

Long story short: The Evolution worked that weak, scattered lift like a madman! I simply can't believe the weak stuff it will stay up in, lift that was so weak the buzzards would come over to see what I was in and then leave in disgust. Also impressive was the difference in speed (without trim change) when flicking the camber switch. Flick to "thermal" and it just hangs there. Flick to "speed" and it covers sky!

The lift dissipated fairly low (164m) but I flew till my neck was tired of looking up, topped off with a slow as a feather catch. Love it.

I'm thinking of picking up one of the last kits (if any are left) just to have in case I kill this one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next