It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: HH Mystique
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:14 am 

I finally got mine together and managed to get in a few tosses last night at the Friendly Flyers site in Jersey, GA.

First, the built is difficult - the HH manual is the worst I have ever seen from that fine company. But the plane is worth the effort.

The airplane weighs almost as much as my Furion 6, but it floats like a Radian - and I do not have camber programmed yet.

Will probably run it with a 4S 2200 lipo - the recommendation is 3S, but it is an 870kV motor, so 4S should be good.

Two servos in each wing, and all of them are out of adjustment. I hope to work on that Saturday morining.

The plane does not have elevators - it has a flying stab with all the controlling rods and belcrank in the fuse and fin. The rudder is attached using Robarat-style point hinges. Really nice.

If you are in to it, the kit also includes a hook and hardware for winch launches.

I'm flying it with my DX18 and the Spektrum AR8000 DSMX Rx. I have a spare channel :mrgreen: .

At 114 inches, this is the biggest RC plane I've ever flown. :mrgreen:

I'm excited.

Rick

Post subject: Re: HH Mystique
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:36 am 

Nice, Rick! We want pictures and video too. :thumbup:

Post subject: HH Mystique
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:28 pm 

Rick,

How are things with the mystique sailplane? Did you ever post any images?

Pete
Nederland, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:42 pm 

Porsche911 wrote:
Rick,

How are things with the mystique sailplane? Did you ever post any images?

Pete
Nederland, Texas

I'm not the happy camper I was originally.

The fuse is built so "light", that a couple of hard landings will result in a broken unit. They break ahead of the wing. Now, I'm not talking crashes here, just landings that are a little harder then normal.

I broke the first and second fuses in low stalls. Turning into the wind, and the lift stopped. My bad.

This one broke on landing. No cartwheels, no dorks, just a little harder than necessary. The worst case the fuse spun about 80 - 90 degrees, horizontal. That should not have broken the fuse.

The HH rep suggests that I send it back to Horizon, but the shipping cost would be more than a replacement.

If I decide to try it again, I will add a layer of glass and resin just ahead of the wing.

Rick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:30 pm 

Rick, that's a bummer. Seems to me that should have been found out early on in the testing and a change made to the layup. Or perhaps a change was made to the layup AFTER prototype testing, and nobody told Horizon! :face

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:41 pm 

JustPlaneChris wrote:
Rick, that's a bummer. Seems to me that should have been found out early on in the testing and a change made to the layup. Or perhaps a change was made to the layup AFTER prototype testing, and nobody told Horizon! :face

They know about it now. When I posted, the response from other owners was, "oh yea, that's where they break after hard landings."

Rick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:32 am 

I am a little late to this party but John Redman did a great series on putting it together on youtube.

there are a couple of these at my club, they are lovely looking planes, a bit pricey for what they are but very nice..

/Steve

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:42 pm 

stevec wrote:
I am a little late to this party but John Redman did a great series on putting it together on youtube.

there are a couple of these at my club, they are lovely looking planes, a bit pricey for what they are but very nice..

/Steve

Apparently, the adhesive that is supposed to bind the servo tray to the fuse did not hold. No breakage, it just popped loose. Without that to stiffen the fuse, the break was inevitable.

Rick